Help!!!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Super Mommy
I pumped 12 ounces and my DS was fed 18 ounces by his DCP. This has been happening a lot lately. The DCP is in my home so I can't give just a certain amount, he can get into my frozen stash any time. I try to get him to feed DS only 3-4 ounces per feeding, but he fed him 5-6 ounces twice today. I think the nipple is way to fast and DS eats to quick.
But really, I should be pumping more than 12 ounces. I am drinking Mother's milk tea to increase my supply. I tend to get lower when I am on my period so I think that may be part of the problem. I guess I need to pump every morning to replenish my frozen supply stash.
Some weeks it seems like he eats nothing when I am gone and I pump way more than he needs and some weeks he eats way more than I pump, but it seems like the eating way more weeks seems to happen more often than the eating less than I pump. How do I deal with this?

Also, how much should a 5 month old be eating now? I am at work 9-7 three days a week.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy

Last edited by firstone; July 5th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
July 6th, 2011, 05:46 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
On average, your baby should be taking about 1oz for every hour you are away from him (kellymom.com :: How much expressed milk will my baby need?). If you think your DCP is giving your LO too much, maybe you need to talk about different ways to soothe him that are not a bottle. Babies have a high need to suck. On the breast they can comfort suck without making a lot of milk come out. They can't do that with a bottle. Does your LO take a pacifier? If so, maybe they can switch out the paci when the bottle is done. They should also try to pace the bottle, let him have a bit, then take it away for a second (maybe burp or distract), then give it back. Basically so the flow isn't so continuous (some other tips here: kellymom.com :: How to bottle-feed the breastfed baby). Your bottles should also have the slowest flow nipples available.

How often do you pump at work? How long do you pump each time? What type of pump are you using? 12oz/day is actually right on target, I think. I averaged about 14oz/day in the beginning, but by 5-6 months it started decreasing bit by bit. Make sure you're eating enough and drinking enough water, if you aren't already, you can try compressions and massage of your breast while you pump. Here is another link with some helpful tips: kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

Oh and from when I went back to work, at 3 months, until my DD was 9 months old she got 12oz/day (4, 3oz bottles). I was away from her from 7am - 6pm. At 9 months I took away one bottle so she only got 9oz, since she was doing great eating solids then. We nursed 3 times at home on workdays, plus however many times she was up at night, usually 1-3.

July 6th, 2011, 06:19 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I'm away from home at work Sean takes 2 6-6.5 oz bottles. so 12-13 oz per day, and I'm gone about 10 hours. Then he bf's as soon as I get home, so DH doesn't feed him if he knows I'll be home soon unless Sean is obviously not going to wait. Some days he ends up giving him another 3-4 oz.

Is your DCP feeding him right before you get home? If so maybe he coudl try holding off on that feeding?

Have you tried fenugreek to increase your supply? I took that along with drinking the mothers milk tea and saw an increase in 3-4 days. I now keep some handy incase my supply dips or Sean's needs would happen to increase.

July 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Super Mommy
I pump 3 times during the 10 hours I am away. I use a Medela double pump. I pump for 15-20 minutes each time. I am trying to add a session in the mornings I don't work after I feed DS, but it is harder to do that because he inevitably is fussy and it is hard to deal with him while attached to the pump. I do compressions and that helps. I also try to get enough water. I think sometimes maybe I am not eating enough, but I don't know for sure. I get kind of busy at work and don't always eat everything that I take with me for work (although sometimes I eat more than what I bring).

I am having my BIL and DH (who are the ones taking care of DS) use different nipples we already have to get a slower flow. BIL says that they do seem much slower. I also pritned out the thing from Kellymom and gave it to DH and BIL. They sometimes need something written by an "expert" to show that I am correct (men ) I am hoping this will help, I certainly don't want to use up milk that I didn't pump for that day - ruins my supply availability.

As long as I am consistent in taking the Mother's milk tea, it increases my flow really well. I am just not always consistent after my productivity goes to normal.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
July 8th, 2011, 02:52 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you've been given great advice and I hope that things are getting better for you. I "think" my boys were probably taking about 4-5oz per feed (3 time between being dropped off at about 0845 and picked up at 1730).

In terms of supply if you have the luxury of pumping for longer ... aim for 5 mins after the milk flow stops. That'll help signal to your body that it needs to make more milk. Keep drinking and eating is important. Why don't you try to snack on something every time you pump?

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 8th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Happy Mommy
I'm not sure what DCP is...

but I'm not puping yet, but will be soon enough. that said I plan to make explicit rules that her daycare can NOT give more then x oz per day while at daycare. so that I can get her to maximize her nursing sessions while at home with me. also that will trigger my body to make more milk, since the demand from her will be greater if she's actually needing that more milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search