Going back to work soon...need some pumping help!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2011, 06:09 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I need some pumping help. I return to work in 2 weeks and i am so nervous i wont be able to pump enough. I have been pumping in the mornings and i can usually get about 3 oz. but when i pump after that (in the afternoon) I barely get an ounce after pumping both sides. I think part of this is because she eats every 2 hours. This morning even tho it had been 4 hours since she had nursed on one side i only got 1 oz. Could a bigger breast shield possibly help? The one I am using seems to be the right size, my nipple moves in and out freely but sometimes it is hard to get it centered up. I really want to continue giving DD breastmilk for atleast another 3 months, but if I have to return to work and cant get milk out by pumping I know I will lose my supply!

I have tried thinking about DD while I pump, I close my eyes and picture her if she is sleeping. If she is awake I look at her while I pump. I massage my breast. I will usually get a letdown while pumping but it won't last very long.
July 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
don't stress at all. Remember that right now your body is programmed to make the amount of milk that she needs. In theory it's a miracle that you're getting anything when you pump straight after you've fed her. So long as you have enough in the fridge / freezer for the first few days you should be fine, because when you're pumping at work you'll be pumping INSTEAD of feeding. Your milk should just flow out.

Once you do get to work, pump regularly, drink and eat plenty and try not to bottle watch. See if you can get on the internet or read while pumping to help the time pass and take your mind off how much milk you're making. Good luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 10th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Randijo2's Avatar Mommy of 4
I'm sure once you are at work and pumping and she's not eating every two hours on you, you will pump more. I usually only pump about 3-4 oz in the morning too. Sounds like you are doing good! Try and get some stashed just in case you don't pump enough a day here or there. Good luck!! If you have any suspicion that you flange is not big enough for your breast it may not hurt to try a bigger one just to be sure.

July 11th, 2011, 04:21 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree try not to stress. I've been pumping at work for about 6months now. When I first went back I was nervous that I wouldn't pump enough, so I brough pictures with me and a piece of her clothing that smelled like her. I also bring in a magazine and surf the net when I pump b/c if I don't occupy my mind then I don't pump alot out.

Definitely make sure you drink and eat enough. For me if I'm not getting enough water then I can see the difference in the amount I pump out. Try not to worry you'll do great. Even if for some reason you're not able to pump out as much as she eats doesn't mean it will ruin your bfing when you are at home. Now I don't pump as much as she eats, but we still bf after work and on the weekends with no problems:]
July 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
ditto to everyone else, when you're pumping in place of nursing (instead of in addition to it), you should be able to get more milk. Also, it's pretty common to get more earlier in the day. I pumped 3x a day at work and my first session output was usually double the output I got in each of the later sessions.

And welcome to the board!

July 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Thanks for the support ladies. I just get so nervous and I am sure that doesn't help. I just pumped both sides and even though it had been 3 hours since she had eaten on one side I barely got an ounce. But I got 2 ounces this morning.

I do have a little bit of a freezer stash going and I think I am going to try things like oatmeal to hopefully up my supply to make it easier to pump more. I plan on bringing pics with me to work to look at.
July 14th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
If you're not allergic to peanuts or chickpeas, try fenugreek to up your supply a little. It's worked really well for me so far. But the amount you're pumping is totally normal. This website helped me a lot when I first started pumping a few days ago and got freaked out I wasn't producing enough: kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

My Boring Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search