I need help, my baby won't take a bottle

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I go back to work next week & have been trying to give Miles a bottle for a few days now. He just pushes it out with his tongue. He won't have anything to do with it. It is freshly expressed milk & I'm using Dr. Brown bottles with #1 flow nipples. We've tried when he's been hungry, not too hungry, happy, etc. He just gets angry. I am thinking of trying a different nipple type.

I never had this problem with DS1, he took a bottle no problem.

Any ideas would be great, I'm getting pretty nervous about what I'm going to do for work

July 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
hmm various things I've heard of
different types of bottles/nipples
warm the nipple, make sure the milk is warm enough
have someone else try to give the bottle
try different holds/positions
be out of the house when they try to give a bottle... babies seem to just "know" if mom's in the other room

If all else fails, you can use alternate milk giving methods, like a syringe or dropper..

Good luck! Keep trying, chances are he won't let himself go too hungry while you're gone!

July 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Try a wide nipple, my LO will only take a wide nipple...and I agree, have someone else try giving a bottle...

July 12th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks ladies, we'll keep trying with your suggestions

July 12th, 2011, 06:56 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
We are using the Nuk bottles and pacifiers. The nipple is shaped differently then most of the nipples you will see on bottles. Maybe try those. One side of the nipple is flat so I think it is shaped more like a human nipple. The only drawback is that is has to go in their mouth a certain way.
July 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran
My DD will only take playtex drop INS with the latex nipple, the are softer like the breast. She also had a hard time doing the bottle but I had her go over to the babysitters for a few hours every day for 1-2 wks before I went back to work.
Emily
July 13th, 2011, 02:18 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hey Bobbi ... sorry to hear you're struggling. Alex did the same thing and we tried about 10 different bottles. Eventually after a week at daycare drinking a minimum ... say an oz max per feed he figured it out and never looked back. Ollie on the other hand always took a bit more ... but still not a normal amount and then just fed all night to make up for it (reverse cycling). It sounds harsh but I was told that a baby will never starve themselves. Keep reminding yourself of that.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
We mainly used Nuk bottles also, but my DD would take anything with milk in it

Just wanted to add, my neighbor's son wouldn't take a bottle for a while either... she mainly teleworked, but a couple times a month when she'd go into the office I watched him. For a while we had to put his milk in a bowl and spoon feed it to him. It was a bit messy and he didn't take much in, but he was fine. Eventually he got the hang of the bottle.

July 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks ladies. Thankfully my wonderful mother-in-law is watching my boys when I go to work (which is only 2 miles from her house). Plus, I work for my parent's business so if worse comes to worse I can leave work to nurse Miles until he takes the bottle better. I have been bringing him to my mil's house for a few weeks now for an hour or 2 at a time. She tried the bottle today and he took about 1/2 an oz, but did stop crying and was OK after that. I did go out and buy the tommee tippee bottles because their nipple looked most like mine

I think he'll get it eventually and in the meantime he's with people who love him dearly and are great and they will comfort him or call me.

Thanks for all the advice & replies!!

July 14th, 2011, 12:37 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNER25 View Post
in the meantime he's with people who love him dearly and are great and they will comfort him or call me.
That must take a lot of the worry away.

Good luck for your return to work!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 15th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Kierasmom
Liam was like that to. I got a preemie Dr. Brown nipple and that went well, but switched to Avent recently and he seems to like that.

Michael(17), Devon(15), Nico(10),
Kiera(9), Joshua(6), Isabel & Sebastian(5),
Halleigh(4),
Liam(3), Ronan(1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search