Tips for pumping at work?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been lurking and reading many of the posts on here, so I have seen lots of good ideas. I do have some questions though ... I go back to work in a week, and have been working on a freezer stash, but I probably only have enough for 2-3 days for the two of them (though I guess all I really need is a day ). I have been off 8 weeks already and it will be 9 by the time I go back (which I am VERY thankful for), but I have some concerns about how I am going to manage pumping at work. I am gone from about 6:45 in the morning until 4:45 or 5 at night. I am assuming I am going to try to feed them in the morning before I leave, but depending on when they are eating in the middle of the night, they may not be hungry before I leave. Did you wake them up to feed them before you left no matter what? (mine generally feed for at least 40 min, which probably means waking them up by 5 if I want to feed them and get ready myself).

Did you find that you pumped as much as your baby was eating? I have never pumped without feeding them, so I don't know how much I will get, but I am very concerned about not pumping enough for them both (especially because Noah is a pig and would eat constantly if I let him).

Also, what nipples did you like best for a slow flow? So far the ones I have seen don't seem to be that slow of a flow ... either that or these two manage to gulp them down fast anyway. Abigail is a fussy nurser as it is, and I am afraid once she gets a bottle without even having to try the nipple first, that she won't want to go back to nursing after that. (She does get pumped bottles some now when she is still hungry, but I make her nurse for at least 30-40 min first ... she just isn't that great of a sucker yet ... I was hoping she would learn, but I am afraid that only bottle feeding is going to make her go backwards ...)

What advice do you have about finding time/places to pump at work? I work at a computer in a cubicle, and I suppose I could also throw a curtain across that and work while I pump The people I work with are great, and will be very tolerant I am sure ...I just have to figure out logistically how this is going to go when I am there, and would love to hear how others made it work...

Oh and as a sidenote, DH will be a SAHD, so he will be at home and feeding them for me (yeah I am a little jealous, but that is just the way it had to be for us). I do enjoy my job though too.

Thanks for whatever advice you have!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
July 14th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae-of-Sunshine View Post
What advice do you have about finding time/places to pump at work? I work at a computer in a cubicle, and I suppose I could also throw a curtain across that and work while I pump The people I work with are great, and will be very tolerant I am sure ...I just have to figure out logistically how this is going to go when I am there, and would love to hear how others made it work...
I like this idea a lot. I wish I could do that at work, actually, but I work in a hospital and we have a pumping room upstairs in the nursery so i'll be going up there. But I wish I could do it at my desk so I could do it more often and still be working.

I'm trying to build up a stash too, so i'll be interested in hearing the replies. I only have one baby, so I'm nursing one side and pumping the other.

As for the nipple, Gabe likes the Dr Brown bottles and they seem to take him a while to chug. The Medela ones that came with my pump are too fast. He seems to prefer the Dr Brown ones 'cause they're actually less forceful than breastfeeding for him. I have an overactive letdown so he gets sprayed.

My Boring Blog
July 14th, 2011, 04:54 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For us I never woke my daughter to feed her before I left for work, I just had a bottle in the fridge for hubby to use. My motto was to never wake a sleeping baby:]

We really like using the Avent bottle with the level 1 nipples-the slowest flowing ones, but we also used dr. browns and like those also.

When I first started pumping I pumped enough plus a little extra for her. It wasn't until she was about 8months old I think that I didn't pump as much as she was eating. I'd try not to worry about not pumping enough out b/c it might stress you out too much, and stress will decrease your supply.

When I first went back to work I brought in a picture of her and magazines to keep my mind off of pumping. We have a mothers room in the bathroom for pumping mothers, which is very nice. I've heard of some people using a conference room.

Good luck! You'll find something that works great for you and your family:]
July 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I always woke my DD to nurse before leaving, but she had to be up anyways to leave with us. She is a pretty quick nurser, so in the beginning I'd wake her about 20 mins before leaving (I'd get up earlier to get everything ready to go), change her, dress her, nurse her 10-15 mins. I figure it was much easier to nurse her than to try to worry about pumping enough for an extra bottle for that time.

As for where to pump, I have a cubicle also, but my building also has offices. My department gave me access to an office that was currently empty so I would go there to pump. When my DD was around 8 months old another woman came back to work after her DD was born so we shared the office. Around 11 months they finally filled the position that sits in that office, so they gave me another one to use. At that point I just stopped pumping since I had enough stored to get me to 12 months (plus had a 2 week vacation at that time where I just mostly nursed).

Other tips, schedule your pumping times. I've heard a lot of people have an easier time when they pump around the same time each day. I was always pretty good about remembering, but some people put Outlook reminders in, or schedule it as appointments so no one tries to schedule something else during pumping time. I'd also recommend a hands free pumping bra! Made pumping more enjoyable since I'd have my hands free to read a book or play on my ipod.

We mainly used Nuk bottles. My DD also liked to guzzle from a bottle. If you haven't already I'd recommend showing your DH Kellymom's "How to bottle feed a breastfed baby" which has some tips to slow down their eating and help them NOT develop a bottle preference. kellymom.com :: How to bottle-feed the breastfed baby

If I think of anything else, I'll come back

And to the board!

July 15th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the tips and ideas. It is going to be interesting to see how it all works ...

]
July 15th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there - I supplement as well as nursing/pumping - so obviously I don't produce enough for my baby while I'm gone - but we've been supplementing since birth.

I pump in an unoccupied office at work. Sometimes other people decide to use it - so it gets frustrating (40+ people on my office floor) - But, I've managed to get about 12 ounces a day at work every day. I also pump at night, and first thing in the morning - 11 ounces, so I get about 23 ounces. Michael at 6 months takes about 24, so I'm right there! So - I beleive that you could do it! Lots of mamas EP - and they do it, so hopefully you can keep up with them! Good luck!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
July 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
with my first baby I used the "sick bay/ quiet room' for pumping - it had a handbasin and fridge for milk and so long as noone was sick it was ok. Second time round I had my own office so I just shut the door and pumped at my desk. I'd definitely ask your employer if they can provide you with a space.

I don't have many other suggestions except to say if you can put pumping in your diary and make sure you do it. It's easy to put off but in my opinion, the most consistent and rigorous you are the more successful you'll be. Keep up your food and water intake too. It's hard work for your body to make milk,

Good luck! I hope the transition goes well.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 20th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks! I plan on using the suggestion to make an Outlook reminder. I wouldn't have thought of that but it will work perfectly. I already have one to remind me to water the plants, so I don't know why I didn't think of it .. but I didn't. I go back tomorrow, so I will let you know how it goes and see what other questions I have ...

]
July 21st, 2011, 06:24 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
good luck!! Hope it's not too rough, being away from your babies. My first day back was hard, but I adjusted pretty quickly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search