New pumping mama

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran
Hello there -

I have been on these JM boards for a while - gave birth to my preemie on 6/26. It was a rough pregnancy - I was on bed rest for over 3 months, then early hospitaliztion. I gave birth to baby Adin 8 weeks early. He's doing great, but still in NICU.

I have been exclusively pumping since I gave birth to him. My supply is REALLY low right now - lower than normal. I'm trying to figure it out - I have an appointment with a lactation consultant tomorrow.

I am renting a hospital grade pump and have tried several breast shields. I am having some pain... but truly think I've found the size that works. We'll see what the consultant says...

I know part of it has to be stress. I'm visiting NICU 2x per day for feedings. I am trying to heal from my C-Section. I am trying to manage this pumping schedule and pump at least every 3 hours (although on rare occasion, I throw in an extra hour for sleep). Oh, and I own a business and have had to go back to work immediately. Luckily, I work from home and don't have to go into an office.

I have downloaded some podcasts to help, but I'm so frustrated. I am looking forward to talking with more women who have been through all of this. I also really hope the lactation consultant can help.

Thanks for listening.
July 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I'm sorry you've had it so rough, glad your LO is doing wel.

How long are you pumping for each time? One way to boost supply is to do "power pumping" which basically simulates a growth spurt. For about an hour a day for a few days pump about 10 mins on, 10 mins off, 10 mins on, repeat. (check out http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ping-info.html (Power pumping info))

You can also try oatmeal (not instant), mother's milk tea, or certain herbs, like fenugreek, to increase supply.

Good luck!

July 17th, 2011, 11:39 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hey and welcome. How did you get on with the LC? I hope you got some ideas. What's your supply like? You say it's below normal but how much are you getting?

Stress can have a huge affect so try to relax when you need to pump - don't watch what's coming out. Can you do something you enjoy while pumping? Read a book or surf the net or play games on your phone? Make sure you're drinking lots, eating lots and sleeping lots ... yeah right It's hard work making milk.

Erin's suggestion of power pumping is a good one .... it mimics a growth spurt which at 3 weeks your LO would probably be having about now.

Good luck! I hope you can make it work.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Veteran
Hello there,

The lactation consultant stood me up twice - but after a stern call to the hospital from SO, they figured it out.

They suggested everything I was already aware of. However, one helpful thing was including that my supply isn't THAT bad. I guess there are others with worse. I'm doing 1-1.5 total oz per pumping. Baby is eating about 1.5 oz per feeding right now. So we're neck & neck. But when I have the woman next to me in NICU pumping 6-7 oz, man, I feel like crap about my little supply.

I am trying the power pumping thing today and tomorrow. It's been really hard to manage the time as again, I'm working now. Although I'm working from home, I'm doing so many things, I find it really hard to dedicate myself to pumping every 1/2 hour or so. I hate to sound like a whiner - just being honest.

I have taken baby Adin's blanket and I'm covering myself with it so I smell him whilst pumping. I have also pumped bedside a couple of times - but I honestly prefer pumping in the privacy of home over this. I've put him on the breast a couple of times with mixed results, but we're both learning.

I am taking Mother Love Milk Plus and also drinking tea.

I've been doing hot and cold compresses, but again, this just adds more time to the pumping and makes me feel like I can't manage doing all of this. All of this and trips to the NICU 2-3 times a day is really a lot.

One thing I've been really good about is keeping myself occupied when pumping. I've even purchased a few meditation podcasts/cd's on my iPad that are specific to breast feeding. That was a good thing...

So that's that. My production hasn't really increased yet, but I'm not giving up. I just need to figure all of this out...

Thanks so much for the ideas and support. I really need it. xoxo
July 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pumping can be very frustrating but keep with it, the ends results are so worth it. Try and eat 1/2 a cup of oatmeal (old fashioned kind) at least once a day.

The other girls gave you some great advice...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search