Feeling discouraged

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, I've come to terms with the fact that nursing just isn't for me. Don't feel like getting into my reasons but I am now exclusively pumping, havent nursed in almost a week and don't plan to try anymore.

Anyway, I'm getting over mastisis which almost made me want to quit breastfeeding altogether. Not to mention I am not producing enough to keep up with Nicholas' wants. I pump about 3oz each pumping, and he wants to eat about 4oz. I am taking fenugreek (2 pills 4x a day) and since I don't like oatmeal, I made them into cookies and eating that. I pump every 2hrs during the day and every 4hrs at night, about 20-30 mins each time. Any other suggestions to up my supply? I can't even store any, which I really need to so I can go back to work.

Whenever I supplement him with formula it really messes up his belly so I'm just getting more and more upset that I'm not producing enough I don't know what to do.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Spacey Stacy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like you got all your bases covered. Just to keep you options open their is a prescription too called Reglan, I take it. It's an ani-nausea medication that has a side effect of increased milk production. At one point I was pumping about 2oz a session so I called my OB and he gave me a prescription (generic form) and in about 3 days I was getting 6oz a session. It just gives you a boost. Just something to think about if all else fails you can talk to your OB about it.

July 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Oh that is awesome. Maybe I'll give them a call Monday.

July 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To be honest, 3oz every 2 hours and 4 at night sounds like a good amount to me. Assuming you're doing 9 pumps per day (12/2 = 6 at day and 12/4 = 3) then you should be getting about 27oz per day .... and the rule of thumb is an oz per hour .. up to a max iof about 30oz so you're almost spot on. Try not to be discouraged!

Have you looked at Kellymom? They have some great advice about how to increase supply, and how much baby needs

kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?
kellymom.com :: How much expressed milk will my baby need?

I cannot stress the importance of eating and drinking enough. Others have said that the more mothers milk tablets have helped them. Are you double pumping? doing breast compressions? pumping for 5mins after the flow stops?

hope that helps,

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 18th, 2011, 05:40 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I was just going to say what Charlotte said, your output sounds great! The average babies take in is about 25oz, with a range of 19-30oz

from one of the Kellymom links:
Quote:
The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day).
Some babies will guzzle their bottles (mine was one of them) so their tummies dont send the signal to the brain fast enough that they're full. The best thing to do is pace his bottles, let him suck a bit, then take it away, distract a few seconds, burp, etc, then give it back, so that it takes longer to drink the bottle. Once they get used to taking too much, it's harder to cut it back. Sucking is also a comfort thing, so sometimes they want to suck on the bottle, not to eat, just to suck (like comfort nursing), so it can be hard to tell if they really *need* the bottle for food then.

Other things to try, other than what was mentioned above, is Mother's Milk tea. Some people have gotten good increases in output when drinking the recommended 5 cups a day. I dont like tea really, but I didnt think it tasted too bad (although, I didnt get any more milk, but I dont think I drank enough consistently)

July 18th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks ladies, that makes me feel a little better. I will try slowing him down a bit on the bottle.. he is a guzzler. I got him the avent bottles and that slowed him down a little (he was chugging with the medela) but not enough.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search