Should I try renting a pump? **update post 1**

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Today was my first day back at work and pumping did not go very well. I had 3 pumping sessions and 2 lasted for 30 minutes and one was 40 and I came home with only 7oz!! I know there was still milk in there cause is was still coming out when I stopped but just drop by drop and my breasts did not feel empty.

I tried everything - looking a pictures, massage before and during pumping, closing my eyes before and during pumping to relax and think about baby, waterfalls, pumping both boobs at the same time, going back and forth from one to the other.....

I am going to try again tomorrow and if I get the same result do you think it would be worth to try a hospital grade pump? They rent them at the hospital where I gave birth and rent them by the day/week. My pump is used and I wonder if it could just be worn out? I don't want to wait to long and hurt my supply.

I am also going to get up a half hour earlier tomorrow and pump to get a little extra as well as a couple more times tonight.

I know there is always formula but I am really determined to keep BFing and it is so frustrating to pump and not get enough and I know the stress doesn't help.

_______________________________________Update:

Well I got my time down, I switched to the softshell breast shields and it seemed to help a lot. Instad of getting 2-3oz in 45 minutes I am getting that in about 15. But I am still not getting the amounts I need. I got 3 oz on my first break and then 2 hours later I got 2 oz. At daycare she is going through 4 oz every 2 hours or so which is how often she was eating at home. At this rate I am going to go through my freezer stash pretty quickly. I am pumping at night and in the morning to try and make up for the difference but that makes for one tired mommy! I do use massage before pumping and during.

Will this hurt my supply?

I will get new membranes this weekend and see if that helps. I think the pump (Medela pump in style) is about 3 years old but I got new membranes not to long after Lexa was born (she is 3 months). I feel confident no one will walk in on me. I am usually in a conference room and I put a sign over the door handle that says "pumping do not enter"

Last edited by FusionGirl; July 22nd, 2011 at 11:33 AM.
July 21st, 2011, 11:32 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what sort of pump are you using and have you used it at home successfully?

Stres is probably a HUGE factor here .... but even through your head knows that, it's hard to get your body to perform sometimes. Have you got a good place to pump? are you relaxed and safe (no chance of anyone walking in) .... even little things like that can throw you out.

Good luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
July 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Sometimes your body just needs to get used to your new schedule. Also, what kind of pump, how "used" was it, have you replaced some of the parts lately (the little white membranes on the Medela PIS need to be replaced every couple months). I've heard you can go to some of the places that sell pumps and they can test the suction on yours, maybe call around to find somewhere that will do that?

"Pump watching" can also stress your body to perform, so keep yourself occupied instead of watching how much milk you're getting.

You can also try hand expression. Some people have better luck starting or ending a pumping session with that.

Renting a pump may be a good way to figure out if it is your pump that is the issue. I found that it wasn't cost effective for me, I just bought a new PISA which was less than renting a pump for 9+ months.

Good luck, hope today goes better for you!

July 22nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
miamor
i have the freestyle pump and once my membranes start to go, the suction pretty much depletes...i usually keep a new set of replacements on hand because sometimes they go at the worst times. middle of the nigh pumping for example...sometimes they get tiny holes in them you cant see and it really messes with the suction potential. definitely keep pumping both at the same time and you should try massaging while pumping not just before.
July 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
glad to hear you did better today - every little bit helps right?. 4oz every two hours is a LOT for a 3 month old. The average should be 1oz for every hour you're away from baby. Do you have low flow nipples on the bottles? You might need to suggest to the carers that they try some other ways of soothing .... Dr sears has good ideas on his website.

You should be able to take your PIS to a Medela stockist and have them check the suction for you. They just plug in a little thing kind of like a tyre pressure gauge to see what how it's doing.

July 22nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I was going to say, 4oz is a lot for 1 feeding. I was told 25oz in 24hr is average for 1-6mths old so you're probably pumping enough. Maybe she just needs some comfort sucking instead of more milk. Does she take a pacifier?

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 22nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfbaked View Post
I was going to say, 4oz is a lot for 1 feeding. I was told 25oz in 24hr is average for 1-6mths old so you're probably pumping enough. Maybe she just needs some comfort sucking instead of more milk. Does she take a pacifier?
She does take a pacifier. I was reading about this on Kellymom today. It is a slow flow nipple. We use the NUK bottles. Today the daycare said she had one feeding where she only ate 2oz. I think I am going to try 3oz bottles on Monday and see if that keeps her satisfied. It will be much easier to keep up with and a whole lot less stressful for me.

Thanks Ladies! I will keep you posted on my progress!
July 24th, 2011, 07:51 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortlette View Post
glad to hear you did better today - every little bit helps right?. 4oz every two hours is a LOT for a 3 month old. The average should be 1oz for every hour you're away from baby. Do you have low flow nipples on the bottles? You might need to suggest to the carers that they try some other ways of soothing .... Dr sears has good ideas on his website.

You should be able to take your PIS to a Medela stockist and have them check the suction for you. They just plug in a little thing kind of like a tyre pressure gauge to see what how it's doing.
Lily is only 2 months old and taking 4 ounces in a bottle and still eating every 2 hours. She's not solely fed on bottles and only gets about one a day but even when we give her a bottle at night, she's ready to eat again in 2 hours. And all our bottles have slow flow nipples on them. I'm a little worried about preparing bottles for daycare in a month because I think I'm going to need to send 5 bottles (she'll be there from about 730-4ish) and that's a lot of milk to pump.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
July 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Glad things are going a bit better! Hopefully it just goes up! I'd also recommend smaller bottles. I sent 3oz bottles and sometimes my MIL would split them up even smaller since my little girl loves to eat and is a snacker (still now, with all food and no bottles).

You can also have them let her suck a bit, then take it away for a few seconds, distract her, burp her, then give it back, repeat. If it takes longer for her to finish a bottle, it will give her tummy time to tell her that she is feeling full. My DD would have gladly taken huge bottles if I let her, but she was satisfied and healthy on 12oz/day from 7am-6pm. Then she nursed at least 4 times when she was with me (usually after work, before bed, once at night, and before work. sometimes she was up more at night).

July 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Well this week Lexa has only gone through 3 - 3oz bottles a day. I send 5 everyday just to be sure she has enough and today she ate 4 3oz bottles. I figured out a pumping trick that works for me and I have been getting about 9oz a day to bring home. I do a breast compression and hold it and it is like it pushes the milk out.

I had just made the decision to supplement with formula (do a 50/50 mix in each bottle) when I figured this out.

Then I try to pump at night and once in the morning. This first week back to work has been exhausting!
July 29th, 2011, 05:34 AM
It is exhausting, pumping, working, and being a mommy, but you'll get used to it, get into a routine. Glad you've figured out how much she eats a little better!

July 31st, 2011, 01:14 AM
yay for you! It's so hard getting into a routine when you first go back to work, but give it some time and hopefully things will improve.

August 1st, 2011, 08:10 AM
Randijo2's Avatar Mommy of 4
I pumped about the same amounts that you are describing with my last baby when I worked fulltime. She took about 3oz every 2-3 hours. I could hardly keep up with her. I pumped in the morning before work and when I got home from work also to keep up with her. Try pumping whenever you can outside of work also. I had no freezer stash with her so it was stressful but I somehow managed to make it the whole 12 months!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search