Reduce pumping sessions?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ava is 10months old and ideal I'd like to stop pumping at work during the day when she turns 1. Right now at work I pump 3x a day about every 3hrs. My question is do you think that I could cut down my pumping sessions to only 2x a day? I only pump out enough for one bottle for her while she's at day care anyways. But I don't want to decrease pumping too early and have it affect my supply.
August 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Super Mommy
Hmm..I used to pump (exclusively) every 4 hrs day and night (so 6 sessions per 24hr peroid), then I went to every 6 hours and then to every 8 hours and it took about 3 weeks to gradually space the feedings out. I still get 10oz per session but half the amount per 24hr period since I pump twice as rarely, so I suggest a very slow and gradual transition to keep the supply
August 4th, 2011, 01:29 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be way to scared to cut down yet .... but that's just me. You can always give it a go but be prepared that if your supply does drop you'll have to work hard to get it back.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
August 4th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I think I'll wait a little closer to when she turns a year old. I don't want to take that big of a risk on my supply b/c I don't know if I have the drive to work overtime to get my supply up again, especially since our bfing has had it's ups and downs lately, we're just struggling to make it a year:] Thnks for the input.
August 4th, 2011, 06:12 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Sorry, somehow I missed this earlier this week! I've been kinda out of it.

Anyways, you could try. I cut back to 2 sessions probably around that time? I don't remember Oh, but I've got a log, haha. Yeah I think I cut back around then, I was just kinda depressed that my output sucked so much anyways. I pumped when I woke up and after Juliet went to bed to compensate some. However I stopped pumping totally by 11 months because of losing my office at work, I took 2 weeks vacation where I could nurse, and I had a good freezer stash.

August 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
oh that's okay no biggy:] I might just wait another month or so b/c I still have to travel for work a couple of times, and my freezer stash isn't that big at all:[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search