Log In Sign Up

Help!!! Going back to work!


Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 950
Hi ladies...Please, I need your help. I have a pump. I used it a ton in the beginning, but my daughter refused to take a bottle, so I lost all the milk that I had pumped. Now, she is almost nine months old and I am about to take up a teaching job beginning on August 19th. She is still breastfed and has never been supplemented. She absolutely loves her "Na-na's" and I'm afraid that she will freak when they're gone for 8 hours a day! I started pumping and am only able to get about 2 ounces for her between the two. I think I might be more upset about this than I should be...

So here are my questions...

1) How much milk should she need for an 8 hour day?
2) How do I manage to get that much out?
3) Will I lose the rest of my milk because I'm gone in the middle of the day?
4) How horrible is it to go from being a SAHM to a working mommy...I should be overjoyed, but I'm just miserable about the decision.
5) Are there any tricks that I should be aware of?

Thank you so much...Oh and she eats solid foods, but hates babyfood...I usually just give her whatever I'm eating. So I'd say that she will easily eat 3 meals and atleast 2 snacks a day. And we usually nurse hard core like 4 times a day and snack like 3-5 times a day.

Thanks again!

Randi
__________________
Make a pregnancy ticker


Thank you *Kiliki* For my Beautiful Siggi
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,040
1) How much milk should she need for an 8 hour day? the average is 1oz per hour you'll be away from her. Since she's a little older and eating solids, it may be a little less. I'm away from my DD for 11 hours. From 3 months - 9 months I left 12oz/day for her. Around 9 months old I dropped it down to 9-10oz since I was having a harder time pumping and she was taking in lots of solids

2) How do I manage to get that much out? Since you'll be pumping in place of nursing (instead of in addition to), it should be a bit easier. However, I'd start pumping once or twice a day now just to get your body used to the pump, bump your supply a bit, and have a bit of milk on reserve.

3) Will I lose the rest of my milk because I'm gone in the middle of the day? You shouldn't. As long as you pump at work and continue to nurse as usual at home your milk supply should be fine. I stopped pumping at work around 11 months, but nurse at home on demand and my milk supply seems to be satisfying her just fine, when she wants to nurse.

4) How horrible is it to go from being a SAHM to a working mommy...I should be overjoyed, but I'm just miserable about the decision. I've never been a SAHM, other than, I guess, my 3 months of maternity leave. At first it was nice to go back to work since I was a little burnt out at home, but I miss being with my DD so so much. I guess 75% of me wishes I was a SAHM and the other 25% kind of likes getting out of the house a bit more (and making money).

5) Are there any tricks that I should be aware of? Hands free pumping bras are wonderful for double pumping, so you can do stuff while pumping. You can also massage or do compressions on your breast while pumping to yield more (play around with it, it works differently for each woman). Keep your mind relaxed and occupied on more than just your output, I liked to read books, surf the internet, or play games on my ipod while pumping. Some people find it helps to look at pictures or videos of your LO, or have a blanket or clothing item that smells like them.

Good luck!
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,211
[QUOTE=-erin-;24527517]I guess 75% of me wishes I was a SAHM and the other 25% kind of likes getting out of the house a bit more (and making money).[QUOTE]



I have only been back to work for almost 2 weeks, so I am sure there are others who have better advice, but I will help where I can.

1) How much milk should she need for an 8 hour day? I have heard the 1 oz per hour thumbrule also. Mine tend to drink closer to 1.5 oz per hour I am gone, but then they only nurse twice when I am home. Once when I get home before they go to bed, and once in the middle of the night.
2) How do I manage to get that much out? You just have to see what works for you. You will definitely get more out when you pump without having nursed beforehand. Having said that, I don't make enough during the day for both of mine, but I also pump when I am at home to come close to making up the difference most days. I pump after feeding them in the evening, again just before I go to bed, after feeding them at night and just before I go to work. If she is eating solids too though, she wont need near as much, so you may have an easier time.
3) Will I lose the rest of my milk because I'm gone in the middle of the day? You shouldn't. Especially if you are pumping.
4) How horrible is it to go from being a SAHM to a working mommy...I should be overjoyed, but I'm just miserable about the decision. It was definitely hard to go back to work. I was never really SAHM, just had 9 weeks off after delivery. I knew up from though that I had to go back, so it was probably easier on me. I really miss them during the day, but I do also enjoy the adult interaction at work.
5) Are there any tricks that I should be aware of? I second the hands free pumping bra. I actually had DH make one for me by cutting X's where the nipples were in an old bra. It works great. The only downside is I have to pretty much undress from the waist up to change bras, where some of the "pumping bras" are made to just wrap around, so you can pull your bra aside and wrap that on. Also, definitely find something to distract you while pumping (I am doing it now while playing on here). I get a lot more if I am not thinking/worrying about it.
__________________
"If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall Thy hand lead me and Thy right hand shall guide me."

Psalm 139:9-10
]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0