help?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2011, 10:35 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so I've never pumped before and I'm expecting and thinking of pumping since bfing didnt go very well with dd.

I have a few questions.
Does pumping hurt?
Can you pump right away or do you have to wait a month or two?
Do you have to replace your pump parts frequently?
Do you have to have a routine, like pumping ever 2 hours?
Do you still leak a lot?

If you ladies have any tips I'd love to get them! Thank you!!

August 5th, 2011, 05:49 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
If you want to breastfeed, don't write it off yet. Many people have different experiences with different kids. Just because it didn't work out the first time around doesn't mean it won't this time. I don't know what didn't work out, but I'd suggest finding some good real life resources that will support you if you have troubles with breastfeeding, like a lactation consultant or the local La Leche League. I find breastfeeding MUCH easier than pumping, at least in the long run. Breastfeeding was very hard for me at first, but it definitely gets easier.

Now with that spiel out of the way

Does pumping hurt? I found it very uncomfortable at first, but got used to it. I always used lanolin after each pumping session at work, which helped.
Can you pump right away or do you have to wait a month or two? If you're going to be Exclusively Pumping you will need to start right away to establish your milk supply. If you're going to be breastfeeding, you can really start anytime, however, if you start early you may tell your body to make too much milk which is not always a bad thing, but can be uncomfortable.
Do you have to replace your pump parts frequently? Depends on the pump I think. For most, things like membranes are supposed to be replaced every couple months.
Do you have to have a routine, like pumping ever 2 hours? Yes, if you're exclusively pumping in the beginning you need to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock (10-12 sessions/day) to establish your milk supply. After a couple months you may be able to cut that back a little. But in general, pumping should mimic a newborn's nursing schedule.
Do you still leak a lot? It's probably about the same as breastfeeding. I leaked a lot (it seemed) in the beginning. After a couple months I only leaked a little and now I don't leak at all.

August 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much!!

August 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Erin ... even the bit about giving breastfeeding a 2nd go. When I was pregnant the first time someone recommended "the womanly art of brestfeeding" to me but I thought "phew ... how hard is it??". When I had latching problems with my first and found myself consulting a lactaction consultant I really wished I'd read the book kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting is a great resource on the net.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
September 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Happy Mommy
I agree. I didn't last but 2 weeks with baby #1, then 4 months with baby #2 and hopefuly longer this time. and i was never able ot pump before but am this time with no issues.

Does pumping hurt? I don't think so. esp since you don't have the direct friction from the babies mouth. but there is the pulling.

Can you pump right away or do you have to wait a month or two? you can start in the hospital. but if you wait you'll want to nurse or you will dry up

Do you have to replace your pump parts frequently? not sure on this since it's my first time pumping, but I think not.

Do you have to have a routine, like pumping ever 2 hours? you'll want to keep it some what regular since you'll want to keep your supply up. at first you'll have to pump alot. same as if you were breast feeding directly to get your supply up, and then you'll want to mimic the weeks there would be growth spurts to grow your supply as well to be able to keep up.

Do you still leak a lot? since you'll have milk you'll leak the same.
September 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think everyone pretty much covered it. I definitely agree that you shouldn't write off bfing the second time though. Every baby is definitely different. I see that with my two. Noah is a wonderful eater and would take a nipple easily anytime I give it to him. Abigail on the other hand is a VERY fussy eater and only takes the nipple well when she is very hungry or I am very full. She wants to play more than to eat.

Pumping doesn't hurt anymore than nursing does occaisionaly. Sometimes my nipples get a bit sore if I do a really long pumping session, but otherwise it doesn't bug me. Pumping is definitely a viable option or you can pump to supplement a fussy eater .. but I agree with the PP that bfing is definitely less work when it works. If you need to though because of bfing issues or work, pumping is a great option to get them milk!

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Last edited by Rae-of-Sunshine; September 2nd, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search