storing/freezing breast milk

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Field Mouse's Avatar nom nom
Hi all, I am new to the whole pumping thing and am wondering how many ounces of breast milk you store per bag (or bottle). Also, is the shelf life in a freezer attached to a fridge less than a deep chest freezer? Thanks!
August 26th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome! I freeze milk in bags that are equal to the size of the bottles I am currently making them. THat way when I thaw it, I can just pour the whole bag into a bottle and I know it is already pre-measured. For me right now that means 5 oz per bag. It might be 2, or 3, or 4 for you though.

There are differences between a freezer and a deep freezer. Every website gives you slightly different rules for how long, but from this one : Breastfeeding FAQs: Safely Storing Breast Milk

it is:

◦for up to 2 weeks in a freezer compartment located inside the refrigerator
◦for 3 to 4 months in a freezer that's self-contained and connected on top of or on the side of the refrigerator and is kept at 0° Fahrenheit (-18° Celsius). But be sure to store the milk in the back of the freezer, not in the door)
◦for 6 to 12 months in a deep freezer that's always 4° Fahrenheit (-20° Celsius)

Psalm 139:9-10
]
August 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
the size bags I froze were really just related to how much I got and the easiest way to split it up. If I did it again, I'd probably stick to 3-4oz per bag since that is what my DD took in each bottle.

August 26th, 2011, 05:31 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my daughter was first born and went to daycare she only drank 3-4oz a bottle so I'd freeze 6-8oz, enough for both of her bottles she got at daycare. I did that b/c those milk freezer bags are expensive! Now that she's older and drinking more I freeze what she drinks for one bottle about 7oz.

Yep milk is stored longer in a deep freezer:]
August 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My LO stays home with daddy, so I don't have to worry about milk going bad if he doesnt' drink it at daycare during the day. I freeze all my bags with 5 oz, and freeze them flat so they are easy to store. And since he takes 6.5 oz bottles right now, I use a 5oz frozen bag, and just top it off with fresh pumped milk. And storing milk is what made us finally go out and buy a deep freezer

August 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Happy Mommy
i just freeze in the amount i pump out
August 27th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Field Mouse's Avatar nom nom
I am just able to get about 2.5 oz per breast right now so that's what I have been storing. It seems so wasteful to have such a small amount per bag though. I am going to try to combine to get 5 oz a bag. thanks!@

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search