Exclusively pumping

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2011, 06:13 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Hi-I'm Kate and I've recently had to switch from breastfeeding to pumping. My DS has had major weight gain issues with two hospitalizations in the past month. He WAS nursing, was having wet and poopy diapers frequently and was acting satisfied after each nursing session. But we had gained no weight, when we were discharged on Tuesday he was up 7ounces from when he was admitted a few days before. So after working with lactation and the physicans we have decided the best bet for him was to get his nutrition from the bottle and nurse for comfort. Well the recent hospitalization has really taking a hit on my supply. I was only getting about 3oz total during each pumping session, this morning I got 4 ounces but I always get a little more in the morning. I'm pumping every 2-3 hours (mostly 2 during the day and three at night) at this point trying to increase my supply. I go back to work in a few weeks so I really need to get my supply up to par. My DS is taking 4 oz per feeding right now. I just have a few questions:

How often do you pump and how much are you getting?
Anyone exclusively pump? How long were you able to? I want my DS to get breastmilk or as much of it as he can for the first year.
I work 12 hour shifts three days in a row, I am an RN and some days it is pretty crazy. Any tips to keep my supply from suffering from when I go back to work?
What kind of pump do you have? I'm renting a hospital grade pump right now and want to buy a pump in style since it is 60$ a month to rent. I want to wait though until my supply is boosted.
Any tips for increasing supply? I've started fenugreek and I'm going to add some blessed thistle today. I do have a script for Reglan that I may start to use if I don't notice an increase. Anyone have any experience with this?
Anyone use the soft horns? I started using a bigger size last night, it does feel better when I pump but I'm not getting much more.
What about pumping away from the house. We wanted to go to the fair this weekend but I'm worried about leaving the house for too long and not being able to pump.

Thank you so much!

\
September 2nd, 2011, 07:09 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I didn't EP, I just pumped at work, but I can try to answer your questions

How often do you pump and how much are you getting?
I pumped every 3 hours at work. How much I got varied, usually I got the most at my first pumping session. In the beginning I averaged 14oz for the whole day, but towards the end I was barely getting 5-6.

Anyone exclusively pump? How long were you able to? I want my DS to get breastmilk or as much of it as he can for the first year.
There were at least 3 ladies in my PR that EPd until about 6 months. Anne (greenchild) who posted here occasionally EPd over 2 years I think, so it is definitely possible!

I work 12 hour shifts three days in a row, I am an RN and some days it is pretty crazy. Any tips to keep my supply from suffering from when I go back to work?
Drink lots of water and schedule your pumping times (if possible) so you dont get distracted and forget about it. A hands free pumping bra is great for allowing you to do other things while pumping, it helped me keep my mind off of "bottle watching"

What kind of pump do you have? I'm renting a hospital grade pump right now and want to buy a pump in style since it is 60$ a month to rent. I want to wait though until my supply is boosted.
I used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced.

Any tips for increasing supply? I've started fenugreek and I'm going to add some blessed thistle today. I do have a script for Reglan that I may start to use if I don't notice an increase. Anyone have any experience with this?
I tried Mother's Milk Tea, it didn't work great for me, but others have had good luck with it. Someone here used Reglan I think, but I cant remember who. And a lot of people have used fenugreek with good results, I think for it to work you have to take a lot, so that you smell like maple syrup.

Anyone use the soft horns? I started using a bigger size last night, it does feel better when I pump but I'm not getting much more.
I never used soft horns, I think (not sure) they only make them in the standard size. I used a larger size so I couldnt find them.

What about pumping away from the house. We wanted to go to the fair this weekend but I'm worried about leaving the house for too long and not being able to pump.
You can get an adaptor to plug your pump into your car, or some (my PISA) come with a little pack you can put batteries in. A nursing cover can also be used as a pumping cover if needed.

Hope that helps some, let us know if you have any more questions!

September 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Happy Mommy
How often do you pump and how much are you getting? I pump every 2 hours while at work. I get about 100 ml per time some times a little more.

Anyone exclusively pump? I'm not but I wouldn't rule out nursing if he starts to pick up on the weight gain.

[B] Any tips to keep my supply from suffering from when I go back to work?[/B being a nruse it'll probably be hard to scheudle pumping breaks at a regular interval, but most states have laws that requires your employer to allow you breaks to pump. what I would do is let the charge nurse know you are pumping so you can get away when you can. find out where is a good place for you to pump, maybe a room on the floor so you don't have to spend extra time walking there. and if you can only pump randomly just pump when you can for as long as you can to get what you can.

What kind of pump do you have? I am using a Medela Lactina Rental

Any tips for increasing supply? I've been drinking more water and that seems to have really helped. and just relaxing while pumping, looking at a photo of bob, or even pictureing her nursing has helped me to pump out even more then if I don't. and I eat Oatmeal at least once a day. and there's some cookies that you can make that should help. but water and fiber will help.

I do have a script for Reglan that I may start to use if I don't notice an increase. Anyone have any experience with this? I've only heard this recently. I have reglan from when I had bad reflux while pregnant. I haven't taken it since. I guess it can't really hurt to try.

Anyone use the soft horns? I haven't, I personally don't know if they would help. maybe on a comfort level so you can relax more, but I dont know if it would really help you pump more?

What about pumping away from the house. Since you are Exclusivly pumping, I'd look to see if you can get an adaptor for your power outlet in your car that you can plug your pump into so you can pump then. or see if you can keep little guy nursing enough so when you are out and in a pinch you could still nurse him. I don't think doing it once and a while would hinder his growth?
September 2nd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How often do you pump and how much are you getting? I pump every 3 hours at work and get 5-6 oz usually per time.

Anyone exclusively pump? How long were you able to? Nope, I still nurse in the evenings and at night, though I pump after every time I feed them in the evenings and on weekends, because I am still not quite making enough milk for them. The amount I pump in the evenings helps me come close to what they are eating during the day.

Any tips to keep my supply from suffering from when I go back to work? Try to get as regular pumping times in as you can, and even if they are not incredibly regular (i.e. 2 hours, then 4 hours, etc), just make sure you are getting time in to do it. I agree with talking to you supervisor before you go back. Talk about a quiet place you can pump. Think about if there is work you can do while you are pumping, so that it is not 'dead time' . I use an empty office here with a computer where I can do at least some things. Could you use that time to update charts, etc. I have found when my mind is NOT on pumping I do better in how much I pump than if I am "bottle-watching"

What kind of pump do you have? I have a medela pump in style and I love it. I don't know if you are a nurse in a hospital or elsewhere. I know a lot of hospital nurses though that have said the hospital lets them use ones there at work. Would be nice not to have to carry the pump back and forth.

Any tips for increasing supply? I am taking fenugreek also and use pumping as an excuse to eat oatmeal cookies. I am not positive either is helping a whole lot, but they are not hurting either (and I get to eat cookies, so it is a win-win situation)

I do have a script for Reglan that I may start to use if I don't notice an increase. Anyone have any experience with this? Can't help here...

Anyone use the soft horns? I started using a bigger size last night, it does feel better when I pump but I'm not getting much more. I never tried the soft ones. Like you, I got a bigger size and I didn't notice much difference in amount, but it helped my nipples not be a sore afterwards.

What about pumping away from the house.
I have pumped in the car before also. I would think at the fair it may be difficult to pump, but if it is one where you can go in and out, you could consider leaving the kids with DH for half and hour and going out to the car to pump.

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search