Best time to pump?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I have tried to pump after her feedings today, but I literally have only gotten a few drops! I don't get it.

Please someone else tell me they got next to nothing for a while? I got a bit at first but not much anymore! I hope this does not mean my supply is decreasing?

When do you get the most? Should I wait a bit longer after feeding her rather than doing it immediately? I am trying to pump to have a bit of an extra supply, and also in case I need to supplement.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
September 11th, 2011, 02:59 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what sort of pump do you have? are you pumping both sides at once? lots of people find that works better for them. Also - some have much more success if they're able to pump while BF'ing ... make use of the letdown that you get from baby. You might need Dad's help to coordinate that!!

Alternatively - try hand expressing. There's a post (in the tips and tricks sticky I think) that explains how to do it.

BF'ing (and therefore pumping) is all about supply and demand. The more you feed, the more your body will make so the key is to just keep doing it. Your breasts will never fully empty and your body can make milk on demand so you don't need to wait between feeding and pumping.

Are you eating lots and drinking so much water you feel like a fish? that's also really important. Every time you feed you should have a glass of water and then plenty in between too. You know you're getting enough when you have to pee constantly.

Otherwise your body naturally makes the most milk (because of hormones) in the early morning so if you can pump in the morning it might help.

Hope that helps. Hang in there!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
September 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that the most milk I get is always sometime between 3-6 AM. It sucks to stay awake after you do the night feeding when your body just wants to go back to bed, but I always get MUCH more milk then, so I am not willing to give it up when I need the milk.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
September 11th, 2011, 12:45 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Most women get the most milk in the mornings (my first pumping at work was usually equal or more than my other two combined), but some have better results other times of the day. Keep pumping consistently and after a few days you should see results.

September 11th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Happy Mommy
if you are pumping after nursing that is normal to not get but a few drops up to combined 2 ounces total.

you could try to pump before you feed her, if you really need to build your stash. other wise just keep doing what you are doing and it will come.

if you are pumping because you will return to work, then pump after baby nursing sessions during the hours you will be at work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search