Weaning from pumping?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 04:19 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ava will be turning one soon and I'm gonna start the weaning from pumping process soon. I wish I didn't have to but I'm barely pumping anything out, and with all the travel I've been doing for work lately I don't think Ava's getting enough bfing either. My game plan is to bf as long as possible but I would like to stop pumping. Right now I bfed her and then have to give her a bottle afterwards.

Whats the best way to go about weaning from pumping? If possible I'd like to still bf at night, does anyone do that now, and it works for them?
September 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I wasn't getting much by pumping towards the end either and then got forced out of my pumping room sooner than expected. I was pumping 3x a day so I cut out my lunchtime session for a couple weeks, then ended up almost going cold turkey on the rest (not intentionally) and did fine. You can cut back on how long you pump for, or cut out one session and adjust the times on the others if your job allows.

September 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Happy Mommy
I think doing what Erin said would work. esp since you aren't getting much I think just cutting back the amount of time, and then just stop.
September 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Yep that's the nice part is my job is very flexible when I pump. That's what I'll start doing is cutting back the time that I pump for a week or so, then cut out sessions.

Erin do you still bf? I don't know if my body will allow it but I'd like to still bf at night during the week, and hopefully weekends.
September 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
yep, I stopped pumping at work by 11 months or so (I think?) but still bf at least 2, usually 3, times a day - mornings are our best session, usually right after work, and usually before bed (strangely, the one she is most likely to not want). As far as I can tell my supply is still doing fine, there is still milk on my nipples when she pulls off and she seems satisfied, even though its really not so important for nutrition anymore (she loves loves food). It seems that by this point most women are able to cut back on daytime and/or middle of the night sessions and still have milk for whenever their babies want it

September 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm nearing this point too. My LO will be 10 months on Saturday and I have been pumping 2x a day while working part time (3 days a week). The amount I've been able to pump has been decreasing steadily for the last 3 weeks or so. I really want to keep nursing in the morning and at night as long as possible, but hope to stop pumping at work in the next month or two.

September 14th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the info! I'll gradually start weaning from the pump, today, and thank goodness! After awhile I get tired of pumping all the time, so I'm looking forward to stopping. Now stopping bfing I'm not looking forward to and will go as long as I can.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search