New here.

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2011, 01:41 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Hello Ladies.

My name is Rheanna, and I am currently pregnant with my 1st. Its a boy :boycheer: and his name is Carson. I have had a couple fetal echos (ultrasound of his heart) and when he is born he will need open heart surgery within the 1st week after he is born. He will be on a breathing tube, and an IV. So I will not be able to BF him at all. However, I really want to be able to pump and make sure he can have my milk when he is recovering (after the breathing tube is removed).

So as we are getting ready for the baby shower next month, and getting our registure together Im wondering what pump is best?

I definitely want to get and electric, and manual, I just dont know what kind is best.

Also what do you ladies recommend for storage? Carson will be an hour away from me. I live in the subbarbs of Los Angeles county, and he will be at Childrens Hospital in Los Angeles. I plan on spending as much time with him as possible but I have my heart set on BFing. I understand it wont be easy but for him it will be worth it so if there is any wisdom you ladies can share with me it will be much appriciated.

Also, please feel free to ask me any questions. Ill do my best to answer them.

Thank you in advance! I cant wait to get to know you girls.
September 13th, 2011, 06:42 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Hi and welcome!

Double electric pumps are the best. While you're at the hospital you may be able to use their hospital grade pumps, definitely look into that. Some of the most recommended brands I think are Medela and Ameda. If you find out which brand the hospital has, you may be able to use the same parts on their pump as yours if you get the same brand (maybe, I'm not sure!).

I'd also look into finding a lactation consultant or your local La Leche League now, so you have the information on hand if you need it. They may be able to give you some more tips and held you latch your son on when he is able to nurse directly.

For storage, definitely store in small amounts, when he is little he won't be taking much each time. I used Lansinoh bags and did well with them.

I've also seen these used, probably more expensive, but reusable and more durable than bags and a good size for young babies: Amazon.com: Medela Breastmilk Freezing & Storage (*BPA Free) 12 Pack of 80ml Bottles in Retail Packaging #87061: Baby

For transporting the milk, I'd get a lunchbox or cooler and use ice packs, that worked fine for me storing my milk at work and bringing it home.

Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions

September 13th, 2011, 08:47 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Thank you so much! I will definitely ask about pumps at the hospital and a lactation consultant.
September 14th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I absolutely second checking into pumps at the hospital. I hadnt even thought of that and had bought the Medela Pump In Style (which I love by the way), but I got lucky because my hospital had the Medela pumps also. The pump was slightly different, but the tubing and flanges and everything they gave me at the hospital after I gave birth I was able to bring home with me and that gave me a second set for my pump. I highly recommend a hands free pumping bra or making your own by cuttingnipple holes in an old bra. DH made me two from old sports bras and they help immensely! (I am pumping now as I type this). With the electic pump, you could also pump in the car while you are driving back and forth to visit him. The Medela PIS comes with a battery attachment and you can also buy a lighter attachment to power it from the car. I don't own a manual one, so I can't give advice there.

I also second the Lansinoh bags. They are my favorite of the brands of bags. I like Medela for most things, but their bags are shorter and fatter, so they take up more space. Also they are a crunchier kind of material. I don't know how to describe it, but I definitely like the Lansinoh ones better.

You may also want to ask the hospital he is at how they prefer to get the breastmilk, assuming they are going to be feeding it to him as he recovers. They may have recommended storage ways to make it simpler for them.

I hope your LO does well. How scary to have surgery the first week they are here, but how wonderful that we have surgeons nowdays that can do this! If you have more questions, ask away

Psalm 139:9-10
]
September 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Happy Mommy
I love the 80 ml bottles. I have like 20 of them that I use. I use those for the milk I know I won't use for longer term storage and use the bags for the longer term milk.

I agree, I'd ask the hospital about a rental from them at first.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search