New to EP with questions :)

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to laceymm888
I am EPing and supplementing with formula as needed and I have some questions!

1. Does the amount you pump out vary A LOT during the day (I pump every 2-4 hours)? Sometimes I get 1-1.5 oz TOTAL at a session and other times (most of the time in the evening around 6 or 7 pm) I'll get between 5-8 oz total. Is this normal to vary so much?

2. Have you used fenugreek to help with supply? Is there a certain brand of the supplement that is better or are they all pretty similar?

I'm sure I'll have more but that's all my mind can think of for now

Ridley Matthew: Born August 23, 2011 weighing 6 pounds 5 oz and 19.5 inches long

September 18th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome. I am not EPing, but I pump at work and at home after I nurse so that I can make anywhere near enough for them during the day (and also because I have one very fussy eater, who often gets a bottle supplement even when I am home). To answer your questions:

1. I definitely get different amounts during the day. I get about 5-6 oz every 3 hours during the day when I pump at work. In the evening before bed how much I get really depends on how much and how long ago they nursed. I can generally get the same 5 oz though even if it has only been 2 hours since I nursed. I get the most in the middle of the night or early morning. Even immediately after I feed them, I can still pump 5-8 oz in the middle of the night. I have read that you make the most milk between midnight and 5 or 6 though, so that seems to be true for me.

2. I do take fenugreek. I can't really say whether or not it helps, because I started taking it around 3 weeks or so, when I didn't have a clear picture of how much I was getting (can I tell you that all is a blur now ). I know it doesn't hurt though, so I keep taking it. The LC who recommended it for me didn't tell me anything about a specific brand being better or worse, so I wouldn't worry about that. She did tell me though not to go by the dosage on the bottle (which was only a couple a day). She told me to take two with each meal and another 2 before bed ... so 8 total a day.

Hope that helps .. and feel free to ask whatever. I am by no means an expert on any of this, but I got a lot of great help here when I was starting out and I want to help others too

Psalm 139:9-10
]
September 19th, 2011, 06:24 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I dont really know anything about fenugreek, but it is not uncommon for supply to vary widely throughout the day. I pumped at work and always got much more during my first pumping session than my other two.

September 19th, 2011, 07:55 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now, my first pump at work I get anywhere between 8-12 oz (he doesn't eat overnight any more though), then my second is uaually only 4-5 oz (4 hours later). I kept track the first two months I went back to work. I would get about 6 oz at his middle of the night feeding, then during the day it varied from 4-12 oz. Never any pattern though back then. Just... random.

I did take fenugreek for a few weeks here and there, it helped a lot. I just ordered off of Amazon, can't remember the brand. I'd guess they are pretty much all similar though.

September 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Happy Mommy
very normal for it to vary. I haven't taken the Fenugreek but I have used it in cookies
September 19th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to laceymm888
Thanks ladies!!
And just for a little introduction, my name is Lacey (24) and DH is David (25) and we just had our first baby 4 weeks ago. I tried BFing and he had a bad latch and then after a while just refused to latch at all and would scream and scream. I finally decided to pump exclusively and give him a bottle and we have all been happier since. He does not fight feeding and does very well with it. I am so in love with this little boy

Ridley Matthew: Born August 23, 2011 weighing 6 pounds 5 oz and 19.5 inches long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search