New here - how do I increase/maintain supply with a pump (x-posted)

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2011, 12:13 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! I'm popping in from the August 2011 Playroom with some questions, hope you don't mind .

I am nursing my 4 week old son on demand but I need to make more milk if I can get off the formula supplement train. He has been getting 1-2 2 oz formula bottles a day because I am not filling him up no matter how long I let him nurse, especially at night before bedtime. I haven't broken my double pump out yet because the OB wanted me to just nurse nurse nurse my little heart out while getting over a case of mastitis since baby is better at emptying the breast than a pump. But my 2 weeks on meds is up tomorrow and I'd like to start pumping - not only to start storing some BM but also because I am hoping that between nursing on demand and then also pumping that I can increase my supply. Otherwise I will never be able to exclusively BF as I appear to have some chronic undersupply issues.

However, I have NO idea what I'm doing . When do I pump? How often? For how long? And how does the pumping schedule mesh with my baby's nursing schedule? I don't make enough milk as it is, so I'm afraid that I'll pump and then he'll want to nurse right afterwards (he has no discernable schedule) and I'll have nothing left in the breast for him. And what about pumping and cluster feeds - is there a point to pumping after my son has been on the boob for 2-3 hours??

Help??

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

September 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! Congrats on your baby!!!

I have a little advice to offer you - when my lo was born, I had to supplement as well. I was told, that anytime I supplement to pump - anytime the baby got a bottle of EBM - pump. This will tell your body to make more milk, as that is when the baby is eating. KWIM?

I know you'll get more advice as to when to pump - probably after each feeding... to help your body learn to make more milk.

Good luck to you!!!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
September 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The advice the LC gave me was to pump immediately after I nursed. That way you aren't trying to guess when the baby is going to want to feed. When you do pump, make sure you pump until you are getting no more milk out, then pump another 3-5 min longer to tell your body to make more. I always tried to pump at least 15-20 min even if I only got milk out at the very beginning. Good luck to you!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
September 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I suggest pumping after feeding .... but don't worry because even though your breasts might feel empty - they can make milk on demand - so you can never truly empty them. Have you been to the kellymom website? it was my first stop when I was breastfeeding and even now I love to refer people to it.

kellymom.com :: How does milk production work?

My other question is why don't you think you're making enough milk? The only reason I ask is because the only times I got mastitis was when I was engorged and not feeding enough to empty my breasts ..... if you lo is fussing could it be for other reasons??

good luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
September 22nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I have the same advice as the other ladies... Also you can try pumping one side while your LO is nursing on the other. That seems to help some ladies get more milk since your baby is triggering a more natural letdown.

Good luck!

September 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My other question is why don't you think you're making enough milk? The only reason I ask is because the only times I got mastitis was when I was engorged and not feeding enough to empty my breasts ..... if you lo is fussing could it be for other reasons??
My son started making fewer wet diapers than normal (he only wet once in a 24 hour period on one occasion) when I was just nursing him, and his growth seems a little slower compared to where it should be for his age. My ped didn't insist on me supplementing but I started to feel bad because I knew the baby wasn't ever truly satisfied after a feeding. He is not a fussy baby and is only upset when he's hungry so far.

And my mastitis was likely due to my breasts not being sufficiently emptied while nursing, coupled with me not letting him nurse long enough in a session during those first couple of weeks due to the immense pain, cracking and bleeding I was experiencing during feedings. My son has a very, very poor latch that I am trying to deal with - he is a shallow nipple feeder, not a "breast" feeder, if that makes sense. With him only sucking the tip of my nipple my milk flow is slow and the feedings are inefficient. I have been massaging my breasts while he eats and that's been helping to better empty them, but the latch is still a nightmare. I really don't know how to break him of this refusal to take any part of my areola into his mouth. That's another story entirely .

Thanks for all of the great advice ladies!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search