Pump Recommendations

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
thewilsons03's Avatar Veteran
I am sure everyone's opinion is different regarding pumps, but when I purchased the pump I have now, The First Years MiPump (double), I only researched that particular pump. I didn't know what I know now about milk supply and breastfeeding in general. I bought this pump because it was $80 and basically my husband FORBADE me even thinking about a $300 Medela even though I had heard it was the best.

LO is 8 weeks old and I have returned to work full time. I have been using the MiPump every day 2-3 times a day (only been back to work 3 days now) and I can consistently get 3-5 oz per breast, however it takes about 30-45 minutes. It is also painful - I am starting to get these horrible sharp pains in my breast itself. I think this pump may only be meant for the occasional use. I am worried that since this one may not be as efficient as a pump designed for daily use that my milk supply will start to drop. I do have a bit of an oversupply, but I still want to protect it!

So far it seems that the Ameda Purely Yours might be more of what I need - it is still affordable at about $140-ish. I just haven't been able to find that much about it. The reviews seem favorable - but will this cut down on my pumping times and also maintain my milk supply? I had heard also that Lansinoh has a pump that is identical to Ameda's, just a little cheaper still and more widely available. It appears that Lansinoh doesn't make the pump that was the same as Ameda's anymore, they have upgraded it to the Affinity. I don't know if the quality will be the same.

So what do you experienced ladies use? I am hoping to be able to get a quality pump at a decent price. My husband is already giving me trouble about wanting to spend more on a new pump - but I refuse to use something that is ultimately going to cause me more trouble (the pumping time alone is enough to raise eyebrows at my job!).

TIA!
#1...is here!!...It's a boy!! Ridge Garrett 07/27/2011

My Big 2 year old...
September 23rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
Happy Mommy
I pump at work 2 times a day (I'm only back for 6 hour days right now) and I pump for a good 30 minute session to get my full amount. but I don't have the suction to high, when I do, is when I get the pains you are talking about. maybe look into your settings and see about switch the suction down a bit?
September 24th, 2011, 09:48 PM
thewilsons03's Avatar Veteran
What pump do you have Ro?
#1...is here!!...It's a boy!! Ridge Garrett 07/27/2011

My Big 2 year old...
September 24th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the Medela PIS, which i know you said you were trying to stay away from. Yes, it was pricy (I used a bunch of gift cards from my baby shower to help towards it). I knew with 2 though that I was going to need a really efficient double pump. Considering I pump not only 3 times at work (30 min each) but also at home after I feed them, this one has been a lifesaver for me.
If you are getting pains though, definitely check and maybe adjust down the suction on your pump some. Also, see if you are wearing the right size shield/flange things (if your pump offers different sizes). I read this http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ld-flange.html (Are you using the right size breastshield / flange?) under the pumping tricks section at the top of this page and I knew I needed a bigger shield. It did not help my supply any, but it did make pumping more comfortable.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
September 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Happy Mommy
i have a lactina rental
September 25th, 2011, 06:01 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I have a Pump In Style Advanced, but I've heard good things about the Ameda too.

September 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
I have a Pump In Style Advanced, but I've heard good things about the Ameda too.
i was renting a hospital grade pump but now i am borrowing a friend's PIS advanced.

\
September 29th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have the Medela Pump in style tote....I really like it....sorry I am not much help though because I know you wanted to stay away from the medela....I also used gift cards and got a good deal with the 20% off coupon. If you have time i would start picking up a $25 gift card for babies r us every time you are at the grocery store and before you know it you will have enough saved up to buy that model....it makes it much easier on the pocketbook for $25 at a time.....best of luck to you!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search