How much are you Pumping and how much are you getting?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is now 5 weeks. I am pumping and supplementing with formula. I am curious to see how much milk everyone else gets while pumping and if I should start taking fenugreek to increase my supply.

This morning for instance I pumped for 20 minutes and got 5 oz....BUT I hadnt pumped since 5 the previous day!!! Which is not really normal for me but hubby and I decided to have a few drinks last night so that is why I did not pump and she got formula instead.

But when I pump during the day I get about 3 oz TOTAL between both breasts and pump for an avg of 10-20 minutes...I try to go the full 20 it just depends if Kaylen wakes up or not. I avg between 2 to 4 oz total each pump session during the day. I pump anywhere from 1 to 4 hours during the day....should I put myself on more of a schedule to express more milk? Will my supply increase as she gets bigger? I had heard in the beginning to pump aprox 15 minutes.....now I hear I am supposed to pump 2-5 minutes PAST the last drop of milk that I get...so I think for awhile I wasn't pumping long enough....

I am curious what the length of time that you pump? 15 mins? 30 mins? etc
How much milk do you typically express TOTAL? Morning and then rest of the day....
Fenugreek users....did this help and how long did it take to start working and how much has your supply increased?
How much milk/formula does your LO eat in a day and how old are they?

Kaylen eats between 24-30oz per day right now and is 5 weeks old.

thanks so much for the help!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

September 29th, 2011, 06:40 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Is your baby nursing at all? If you're exclusively pumping you need to get on a schedule, pumping every 3 hours, max, during the day plus probably at least twice at night. You should be pumping at least as frequently as your LO is eating.

The average intake of an exclusively breastfed baby from about 1 month - 6 months is 25oz/day, so it sounds like your LO is right on track. If you're pumping 2-4oz a session and pumping at least every 2-3 hours, you are getting just enough. Lots of EPing mamas try to build an oversupply by pumping more than their baby eats.

You need to be careful about going too long between pumping sessions, it sounds like you went at least 12 hours without pumping? That can signal your body to not make as much milk (since you aren't removing the milk) and could cause issues like plugged ducts or mastitis, not to mention being uncomfortable for you!

I really only pumping at work, only at home when necessary. I went back to work at 3 months and pumped 3 times (11 hours away from my DD). In the beginning I averaged about 14oz for the whole day, probably 6-7 in my first session, 3-4 at each of the other two.

September 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ditto much of what Erin said.

I was able to build a small oversupply to build a stash in the beginning. My LO is about 7.5 months now and I'm just barely keeping up wtih what he eats while I'm away from him now (he east 13 oz in the 10 or so hours I'm gone), then he breastfeeds the rest of the time.

I pumped 3 times during the day at work , every 2.5 hours. I've only just recently cut back to 2 times. It definitely took a few months for my body to really regulate itself and be consistent in the amounts I could pump.

At 5 weeks I would have been in some serious pain if I went that long without pumping! I coudl barely make it 3 hours without waking up engorged

September 30th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Huh....Ok thanks for the advice ladies....yeah I am not in any pain at ALL from not pumping? I guess I should consider myself lucky? I felt really engorged in the beginning and if I didn't empty my breasts they would even leak.....but I haven't experienced any of that at all in the past few weeks!!! Yes I am just pumping and using formula....so I guess I should put myself more on a schedule....maybe they don't hurt b/c my boobs are GINORMOUS!!! LOL!! I mean they were big BEFORE I got pregnant and than got bigger during pregnancy and now even bigger post partum!!! UGH!!! NOT COOL!!! LOL!! Thanks for the advice!!!

October 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump three times at work and get 3.5-4 oz total each time. That's what I give to the daycare. Des is away from me for about 11 hours and he takes 10-12 oz while I'm gone. He has been nursing 4-5 times (once or twice in the evening, twice over night and sometimes once in the morning) while I'm home. He just turned 7 months last week.

Kasi - sounds like we're having similar experiences. How much does Sean nurse at night? I would like to try to get Des to sleep longer, but I'm afraid if he does, he won't get enough milk since I'm not really able to pump more than that at work.

Thank you Vicki!

October 1st, 2011, 11:46 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that you really do need to get on more of a schedule. I think that you should be pumping every 3 hours (even during the night ... sucks I know) until your LO is 12 weeks old. By then, your body should be in a routine and your supply established. As a rule of thumb you need to pump every time your LO feeds as a minimum.

Personally I believe that the reason that you were not in pain after pumping so long is because your body is already making less milk than it used to . "Full breast = slow milkk production / empty breast = fast milk production". Remember it's a supply / demand thing. BF or pump more and your body will make more .... so long as you're giving it the liquid and food that it needs to make milk too.

In terms of how long to pump, I say pump for 5 mins after the last milk. Sometimes it meant I had to pump for 45mins. if you can do breast compressions (use you fingers to help the milk down from your milk ducts to your nipples then it might reduce the length of time it takes.

You might find this useful about supply and demand from kellymom which is where the quote above is from -
kellymom.com :: How does milk production work?

Good luck!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
October 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only pump at work and it usually looks something like this:

6:30 - I pump either before feeding or after feeding her: 6+ ounces - one breast

9:00 - 5 ounces - both breasts

12:30 - 3 ounces - both breasts

3:30 - 3-4 ounces - both breasts

I am curious what the length of time that you pump? I pump anywhere from 10-15 minutes depending on when my flow stops

How much milk do you typically express TOTAL? About 14-17 ounces

Fenugreek users....did this help and how long did it take to start working and how much has your supply increased? When I used Fenugreek, it significally increased my supply. I could easily pump 5 ounces at any sitting from one side. It started to work within 24 hours of using it. However it gave both myself and Lily REALLY bad gas.

How much milk/formula does your LO eat in a day and how old are they? I don't know an exact amount. She eats 13.5 ounces at daycare and then is fed 3 times at home so I'd say anywhere between 24-30 ounces maybe? She is almost 5 months old.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by eiramillek; October 2nd, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
October 3rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
thewilsons03's Avatar Veteran
I agree with all the pp! Make sure you are pumping regularly. Every bottle of formula you give and you don't pump for tells your body you need less milk. Be really careful not to go so long between pumping sessions. Even if you are drinking, pump and dump, that way your body gets all the correct signals!

DS and I are apart for about 10 hrs each day. his schedule is pretty regular, so I pump about 2 times a day. He usually takes his last feed in the AM around 6-7 and i try to pump after that so that has me pumping around 10-11, then again around 1-2. I usually get 7 oz in the AM, and about 6 in the afternoon. DS drinks 9-12 oz a day while we are apart. We breastfeed every other time so no clue how much he takes after that. It usually takes about 20 mins to pump.

Start pumping more and I know you will see results!!
#1...is here!!...It's a boy!! Ridge Garrett 07/27/2011

My Big 2 year old...
October 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Super Mommy
I have never gotten more than 2 oz when pumping and that is combined. My baby girl is almost 3 weeks old and we have been supplementing for a week and a half because she lost over a pound after one week. I nurse her and then pump and usually get an ounce or maybe more if I am lucky and that is combined. I use a Lansinoh electric pump. I pump after nursing about 4 times a day.
October 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMack View Post
I nurse her and then pump and usually get an ounce or maybe more if I am lucky and that is combined. I use a Lansinoh electric pump. I pump after nursing about 4 times a day.
That's normal if you are pumping after nursing.

Thank you Vicki!

October 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I try and pump 7 times in a 24 hour period, I don't want up to pump at night unless C wakes up to eat; he usually sleeps from 10p-7a. I usually wake up at 6a and pump then feed him and get him up. He is eating about 24oz in a 24 hour period in 4 ounce incriments; I am pumping about 37 ounces in a 24 hour period ranging anywhere from 13oz a pumping session to 4oz a pumping session. I only really pump for 10-20 minutes depending on how long I flow for, I try to get every drop.

\
October 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Happy Mommy
i only pump twice at work right now, but will be up to three once i am back on 8 hr days.

i ditto the other ladies keep pumping, even if you decide to drink pump and dump.
October 7th, 2011, 06:42 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLiz View Post
I pump three times at work and get 3.5-4 oz total each time. That's what I give to the daycare. Des is away from me for about 11 hours and he takes 10-12 oz while I'm gone. He has been nursing 4-5 times (once or twice in the evening, twice over night and sometimes once in the morning) while I'm home. He just turned 7 months last week.

Kasi - sounds like we're having similar experiences. How much does Sean nurse at night? I would like to try to get Des to sleep longer, but I'm afraid if he does, he won't get enough milk since I'm not really able to pump more than that at work.
hmmm,I thought I replied to this, guess the board ate it. Sean nurses 2-3 times in the evening, but usually not overnight anymore. Though he did last night, he woke up too snotty to breathe so we suctioned his nose and then breastfeeding helped him swallow what was left in his throat. But that and teething are about the only times he gets up in the middle of the night now.

October 7th, 2011, 10:07 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a nursing baby right now, so I don't really have anything to add, but I am so happy to see that everyone who is pumping at work is generally getting what I was getting for DD when she was nursing and pumping on the same schedule.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search