new with a question :-)

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies! I just had twin girls on the 21st! They were born 6 weeks early so they are in the NICU right now to grow. I am pumping to give them BM while they are in there until I can try to BF.
I have a question though.. how long do you pump for? I pump every 3 hours (sometimes 4 if i'm out) and I can pump for about 30 mins and get about 120mL's total which i guess is about 4oz.. the girls are only taking about 30mL's which is only about an oz right now..
they say to pump until the flow stops? I seriously think I could pump for an hour and still have something come out.. I am renting a pump from the hospital and it turns off after like 35 mins and sometimes I know i'm not done.. I want to keep my supply up or make more to build a good stash up but I can't if i'm always stopping too soon right?

thanks for the help in advance :-)

October 1st, 2011, 11:54 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi there and congrats. I'm Charlotte, the ex-host who still lurks

I never exclusively pumped but I believe the most important thing for you to do is build a good supply and possible over supply so you're making more than they are eating. Milk in the freezer will be like liquid gold in the future.

I always recommend pumping for 5 mins after the flow stopped ..... so yeah it can take a long time ... but the more you can empty your breasts, the more you'll trigger your body to make more. Have you been to kellymom?
kellymom.com :: How does milk production work?

You can also use massage / compressions to help get the milk out a little faster. Hopefully once they're strong enough you can get to BF and then life will be easier.

Another key to making milk which is often overlooked is to ensure that you eat plenty and drink constantly as well. You'll know you're drinking enough when you have to pee every half hour.

Hope that helps! I imagine you're up against it with a 2 year old and trying to visit NICU. Hang in there :-)

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
October 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
Super Mommy
thanks!
I have been to kellymom and also some other site that one of the LC told me to check out that has a bunch of stuff on the compression/massage stuff so I do that a little, maybe I should do it more...

haha and yup it's definitely a challenge having a 2.5yr old and the girls in the nicu.. my son is from my XH though so half the week he's with his dad which means I can see the girls whenever during those days which is bittersweet lol
and the pumping is interesting with him around as well haha he was so confused when i first did it in front of him.. though he's confused about a lot because he hasn't met his sisters yet.. we are in for it when they come home for sure lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search