New to Pumping & Question

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2011, 08:18 PM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello ladies!

I'm new to this board so I thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. My name is Jennifer and my first daughter was born on Nov 2.

I've made the decision that breastfeeding isn't going to work for my DD and I and instead I want to get to the point where she is exclusively fed breast milk that I pump for her. My milk supply has been very slow to come in and my doctor has had me on domperidone from the start to try and help up my supply.. I've only been able to pump a small amount so far so I'm really hoping with regular pumping I can increase my supply.

I have a Medela Pump in Style which seems to work pretty well, but I'm wondering if I'm holding the breast shield correctly. I know to center it on the nipple and all that, but I seem to leak out the bottom sometimes unless I hold it really tight onto my breast, to the point of squishing my breast... but then I worry I'm compressing the ducts or something because my last three pumping sessions I've barely gotten 0.5 oz total after pumping both sides. I know my supply is likely still low because of the difficulties we've been going through, but one time I was able to pump 2 oz in one session!

Any advice on how to hold the breast shield properly would be wonderful!

Last edited by cydonia1978; November 11th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
November 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome. I'm an ex pumper but still lurk from time to time.

You may find this link useful The right size of the breastshields

I always ending up leaking a little bit as well but sitting upright and even slightly forward helped gravity get the milk in the bottles.

In terms of your supply, pump VERY frequently. Every 3 hours min round the clock .... more if you can manage it. You need to mimic a newborn to get your supply developed. Otherwise, you've probably been given the usual advice like drinking and eating lots. Are you double pumping? That can help with your letdowns as well. Sometimes it takes time for your body to learn to letdown for a pump instead of a baby so be patient. HTH.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
November 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks! I wish I could double pump but I only have one tube/breast shield (well, that's the right size).. plus I have a hard enough time holding one shield on properly, not sure if I could do two.. lol! But I do pump both sides in each sitting, so hopefully that's okay too.

November 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send your husband out to the shops and keep practicing. It makes a huge difference. You can also use a pumping bra or rig up the horn to your bra with hairties or rubber bands to hold it in place.

Check out this thread for recommendations from others. There should be other threads, but I can't get the search function to work.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ping-bras.html (Hands Free Pumping Bras)

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
November 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I ditto the hands free nursing setup. It is a lifesaver, especially if you're going to be an exclusive pumper. Make sure you have the correct size shields, hold them against your breast firmly, but not too firmly, you dont need to press hard. I leaked a bit, but usually when I wasn't really paying attention. Once the pumping suction gets going it usually will form a seal around the breast a bit. I also used lanolin after each pumping since it made my nipples a bit sore, so I'm sure the residual lanolin helped "stick" it some too.

November 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I've definitely got to look into the shield sizes.. I think I have a 27", which is one size larger than the normal one.. but I notice it doesn't get a really good seal on my left side whatsoever.. I seem to be getting better at doing it on my right side, but it's odd because my right side is a bit larger than the left..

I like the idea of the hands-free bra.. I'll definitely need something like that if I'm going to keep this up for months! lol.. I know it's only 20-30 minutes a time on average, but still.. hands free would be nice.

November 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Happy Mommy
TO up your supply I'd also recommend looking int o a hospital grade pump, until you get established well enough, it will really help.
November 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely try the hands-free bra. I didn't this time but I will with the next baby because I find myself hunching over a lot to read while I'm pumping, and my back is killing me! It's probably worth the investment.

Thank you Vicki!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search