How many oz on average?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've read that breastfeeding a baby there's no real way to tell how much they're getting and we know if they're eating enough by the number of diapers that are changed and monitoring their weight..

So my question is, when pumping how many oz on average do people tend to get? I know for the most part this depends on the person and many factors.. but I'm just looking for a ballpark number.

I tend to get anywhere from 0.25-0.75 oz from one breast in a 10-15 minute pumping session. My other breast gives 0-0.25 oz typically. And since I had a rough start to all this and my DD has had to be supplemented by formula, she is used to getting about 3-4 oz per feeding currently. Obviously I'm not pumping NEAR enough to keep up with this so I'm wondering if this is maybe because my milk still isn't coming in strong yet or if it's normal (I'm 11 days postpartum and couldn't start pumping regularly until just a few days ago).

November 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump between 3-5 oz total from both breasts. In the morning, I am able to get 5 oz from one side (I feed LO on the other). She is currently taking 4.5 oz ever 3 hours at daycare.

Have you tried the 3 day nursing sabbatical to increase your milk supply? If you really want to breastfeed, I would try cutting the formula out and only breastfeeding. Offer your breast everytime baby is fussing and that will help to increase your milk supply. When you supplement with formula, you aren't demanding that your body produce more milk which could be a reason for your low supply.

It's really important to get your supply established from the start which is why supplementing in the beginning can cause a lot of women to lose their supply.

I hope this helps and that some of the other women can offer some advice too because I am far from an expert!!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
November 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! Good to see you here. Huge congrats on the birth of your DD!

Is she nursing at all? Are you pumping after nursing? I pumped and nursed in the beginning and it would take me all day to get 4oz because I would pump after each nursing session and get about 1/2 oz from each breast. If she is not nursing and that is all you are getting, I agree with trying a nursing sabbatical to increase your supply.

Good luck!!

Thank you Vicki!

November 13th, 2011, 06:54 PM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Your baby is still young and your milk is still coming in mama. Nurse/pump as much as you can and it will come in. I got barley an ounce at the beginning now I get 12 oz in the am, then about 10oz then 5-7oz for the other 4 pumps but my LO is older than yours

\
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLiz View Post
Hi there! Good to see you here. Huge congrats on the birth of your DD!

Is she nursing at all? Are you pumping after nursing? I pumped and nursed in the beginning and it would take me all day to get 4oz because I would pump after each nursing session and get about 1/2 oz from each breast. If she is not nursing and that is all you are getting, I agree with trying a nursing sabbatical to increase your supply.

Good luck!!
Hi!! Thanks! No, unfortunately we're not nursing at all. It got kinda screwed up in the hospital because I had a really bad spinal headache and other pains that made it nearly impossible to nurse her or even keep up on pumping properly. I had a hard time learning to latch her on properly after that but even after getting that down, she'd decided she didn't like the breast.. it was too slow for her to get anything and even if we got a good latch she'd barely bother to suck, then would freak out when she wasn't getting anything.

So right now all I do is take domperidone and pump. She gets mostly formula but whenever I get enough breast milk pumped, she gets that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitbeans View Post
Your baby is still young and your milk is still coming in mama. Nurse/pump as much as you can and it will come in. I got barley an ounce at the beginning now I get 12 oz in the am, then about 10oz then 5-7oz for the other 4 pumps but my LO is older than yours
Okay, that's good to know!! My lactation consultant also suggested adding fenugreek and blessed thistle along with the domperidone, so hopefully that helps. I just have to clear it with my dr first.

Today I seem to be consistently getting 1 oz out of my right breast and almost nothing out of my left. It's somewhat encouraging to get a whole oz at least.. It's a start.

November 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I agree, your LO is still tiny! Her stomach is small so she shouldn't need much for each feeding. Keep pumping pumping pumping to increase your supply. Here is a chart that shows newborn stomach sizes:
Ages and stages | Ameda.com

Also, once she gets around 1 month, the average intake of an exclusively breastfed baby is about 25oz/day, which averages out to 1oz/hour. When I was pumping at work I'd send 12oz and was away from her 11 hours. The amount I got at each pumping varied, morning I got the most, maybe 7oz combined, then 3-4oz each for lunch and afternoon. Eventually my supply majorly decreased, but for the first couple months I got about 14oz/day.

November 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Happy Mommy
I agree still early. whenI was pumping early on, It was a success if I got 1 ounce total.

now I get about 3-5 per session at work. with about 12-15 total in 8 hours.
January 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
Regular
i get about 25 oz/day out. i pump between 5 and 8 times/day (depending on her sleep schedule).
i use the medela symphany and i get anywhere from 1-5 oz out of each boob each time i pump. it really varies which is also frustrating sometimes since i try to stay ahead of her feedings by 2 feedings. a lot of people seem to overproduce but, i only produce what she eats in a day it seems...possibly 1-2 feedings ahead. i have been EP since she was 3 weeks old and she is almost 3 months now.
January 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Super Mommy
This is really helpful to read - I'm getting between 3.5-5 oz total each time I pump (6-8 times a day). I was worried this was low - all of a sudden, I didn't have extra milk because she started eating more! It's good to see that other people are getting around that...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search