Hello again!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello everyone! I posted about a month or two back asking about opinion on breast pumps and now here I am with my little man. Carter Bradley was born last Saturday, 11/12 (stubborn little one, I was induced at 5:00 am 11/11 )and so far BFing is going great! Also, I ended up going with the PIS so thank you for everyone's helpful advice!!!

I am currently EBFing but will be returning to work and would like to eventually get out of the house for more then a couple hours at a time so I am starting to try to pump on top of BFing.

If I'm still BFing full time, when is the best time to pump? Right after feeding? Halfway between feedings? I'm a little nervous that I will keep him from getting enough with pumping.

When BFing full time, what is a normal amount to get when pumping? One time I got 1.5-2 oz out of both sides in about 10 minutes and was SO excited! This was halfway between feedings.

About how much would you take out with you with a newborn? I have no idea how much he eats in a session so I'm not sure how much I need to have on hand if we were gonna be out during a feeding.

How do you warm up your milk when you're out? At a resturant I would ask for a cup of hot water, but what about if you're shopping? Especially since it's so cold.

That's all I can think of right now... thanks for your time in advance! I look forward to getting to know you all

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
November 21st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! Congratulations!!! I never EBF - so I may not be the best for advice... but - I heard its best to pump right after nursing... you will also get the most milk first thing in the morning. Sounds like your doing great! Currently - I've been pumping at work for 10 months, and I get about 4 ounces total (every 3 hours during the day) - so, the amount you are getting is great!!!

Wow - when Michael was a newborn, it seemed he was eating all the time. I would do formula bottles - those little 2.5 ouncers... so - I would see how ofter Carter is eating, and bring about 2 - 2.5 ounces for each feeding. So - if he eats every 2 hours - and your out for 4 - bring 2 bottles.

I had to chuckle - I looked at your pic - and said what a great family pic - oh, interesting shirt with a doc pic on it... then I glanced again - that's your doggie! I think I might need a new monitor?? Your baby is gorgious. Great job - and welcome to mommyhood!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
November 21st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Such a cute pictures and beautiful little boy. Definitely I would pump right after you feed him. You won't get as much, but then you know you are only taking the extra he left. If you try to time it between feedings he might all the sudden be hungry earlier than you thought.

I would give you amounts, but with two, I am not one to judge how much you are getting against. I will say though that they more people I talk to, it seems everyone is different in how much they can pump. If you are getting 2 oz out I would say you are doing great! As long as you are EBFing you don't need to be getting a lot. Just enough as you said to build up a stash in case someone needs to give him a bottle here or there. Remember that once you go back to work, what you pump one day will get fed to him the next, so you never need a huge stash (though if you are one that can pump a ton of milk and build up a stash, more power to you - I am jealous ). If you pump right after you feed him, you may not get that much at first, but it will come. As he gets older and sleeps more, you can adjust that also. Once they were sleeping longer, I would wait at night and pump just before I went to bed.

As for how much .. they say most babies drink about an oz per hour, so if he is eating every 2-3 hours, then probably 2-3 oz. I would take a little extra just to be safe. I am assuming you are not planning to bf him when you are out then? I will say if you are not going to, then you still need to be careful how long you are gone, because if you aren't feeding him then you should be pumping. I can tell you it is MUCH easier to bf (yes, even out most places) than to try to bring milk, but I can also tell you that realistically with my two there are very few places I have tried to feed them while out (because logistically if we aren't home they would have to take turns, and well .. that just wouldn't work). I just bring this up, because if you are going to give him bottles while out, then I would pump as the very last thing you do before you leave the house. If you are planning to be out too long, you may want to pump in the car between stops also (I often would pump while DH was driving somewhere). Trust me ..not fun ... but it works.

As for warming up bottles while we are out, we never bother. If I know they are going to be hungry in the next hour or two, I just leave the bottles out in the diaper bag. (at least if it is not 90 degrees out or something). They get room temperature this way and the kids take them just fine. Otherwise they get them cold. You cold also try putting the bottle against your skin for a bit if you wanted to make it not so cold and you were taking it right out of a cooler bag.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
November 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Once I got on a bit more of a schedule (not til 6-8 weeks or so) I'd pump while Juliet was taking a morning nap. I'd try to pump about halfway between feedings, and just one side so when she woke to nurse I'd give her the other side.

If you want to bring a bottle while out instead of nursing, you can bring a thermos of hot water to stick the bottle in just before giving it to him. I think that's what my MIL did (she was my daycare til Juliet turned 1). I would usually try to pump just before leaving, then the milk is good at room temp for a while and I would just give it to her that way.

As to how much to give at a time... most breastfed babies won't take more than 3-4oz per bottle once they get bigger. At his age now, he will probably take much less. According to kellymom, the average 24 hour daily intake from 1 month - 6 months is 25oz, so it's usually estimated a baby needs around 1oz/hour. When they're little, this is a nice little diagram of the tummy size: Ages and stages | Ameda.com

November 21st, 2011, 11:51 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the input ladies! I feel very fortunate that Carter is such a good eater and I'm keeping up with his needs! Sometimes I think he gets too much too fast and will spit up not long after eating.

I will probably start with 2 oz bottles if we are gone for a feeding... i just hate the thought of wasting breast milk! I like the thermos idea... may need to look into that.

How long did it take for you ladies to get more than a couple hours of sleep at a time? Some nights I can only go 1-2 then sometimes he'll wait close to 4. Right now it's not so bad, DH helps where he can and I'm obviously off work but just curious how it will be when I go back!

Anybody use those breastflow bottles? It's the only one I've tried so far, and while the nipple looks the most similar to my own, he seemed to get a ton of air bubbles with the last little bit of milk. What kinds of bottles do you guys use? We have those, Ventair, Medela, and Nuk ones. But only 1-3 of each because I wanted to see what the little guy would like best!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
November 21st, 2011, 12:35 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
my neighbor's kid was super picky with bottles so they ended up with an assortment... which they passed along to us We didn't like breastflow as much, she ate too fast with them. We didn't like the Medela as much, maybe the same issue? I don't remember. We ended up mostly using Nuk, but also used Playtex drop ins.

For sleep... by about 3 months when I went back to work Juliet was usually only up once a night, anywhere from 2-5am, depending on the night. From 6-9 months she was up way more Then between 9-10 she started sleeping through, 11 hours straight! Every baby is going to be different with sleep though.

November 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. 2oz is great! If you don't get too frustrated, try pumping right after feeds. You won't get much, but you will stimulate your milk supply. DH used to warm Des's bottles at home, but we stopped doing that a while ago. He takes them fine room temperature. I even gave him a pretty cold bottle the other day when we were outside walking.

We use Dr. Brown's bottles. Those were the first ones we bought and he didn't have trouble with them. Good luck!

Your little man is too cute!

Thank you Vicki!

November 23rd, 2011, 10:08 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiep726 View Post
If I'm still BFing full time, when is the best time to pump? Right after feeding? Halfway between feedings? I'm a little nervous that I will keep him from getting enough with pumping.

a really good time to pump is first thing in the morning ... your body naturally produces more milk in the early hours of the morning so a lot of people find that if they can do the first feed on one breast and pump the other they can get a good amount.

When BFing full time, what is a normal amount to get when pumping? One time I got 1.5-2 oz out of both sides in about 10 minutes and was SO excited! This was halfway between feedings.

That is good. In time your body will level out so that it's making what your LO needs .... so you may find that you don't have any extra. Remember when you go back to work you'll be pumping to replace a feed, so if your LO would normally eat 4oz, you'll be pumping it instead. So - don't stress about having a lot before you go back. You just need enough for the first few days until you get into a routine,

About how much would you take out with you with a newborn? I have no idea how much he eats in a session so I'm not sure how much I need to have on hand if we were gonna be out during a feeding.

How do you warm up your milk when you're out? At a resturant I would ask for a cup of hot water, but what about if you're shopping? Especially since it's so cold.

I never gave either of my two a bottle unless the were away from me. If you can get used to feeding while out it's SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier. Remember if you give a bottle instead of a feed you should be pumping to keep your supply up so IMO bottles are more trouble than they're worth :-)

That's all I can think of right now... thanks for your time in advance! I look forward to getting to know you all
Hope that helps and all the best!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search