question about how much everyone is getting when you pump?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi my name is Lauren and I am new here. My little girl Brooke is 6 weeks old. I have been pumping, but feel like i am not getting that much each time i pump. The pump will stop pulling out milk but i can still get some out so i know there is still more there. I thought maybe my pump isnt that good. I get anywhere from 1-3 ounces when i pump. I nurse on one side and pump on the other. How much milk is everyone getting when you pump? How often do you pump and what pump are you using? I hate to buy a new pump if its not going to help. Maybe what i am getting or doing is normal i have no clue.

November 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
1-3oz from one side is pretty good! Especially while nursing. Are you pumping because you're going back to work or for some other reason? Keep in mind that if you pump in addition to nursing, that you're producing above and beyond what your baby needs, so any amount is good.

If you're going to work, then you will probably be able to pump more since you won't be nursing at the time.

As for the pump not getting any more but you can...
what type of pump do you have?
do any parts need replacing (some pumps have membranes - little while pieces - that need to be replaced every so often, usually 3 months or so)?
how long are you pumping for? can you tell if you're getting more than one letdown? (I never could... but many women can)
Do you have the right size parts? the breast shields are made in different sizes that may fit women better (see: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ld-flange.html (Are you using the right size breastshield / flange?))
Do you have the speed and/or suction turned up high enough? You don't want it to hurt, but you may need to turn it higher.

Those are just some things that come to mind...

Oh and I used to pump at work. I'd get anywhere from 2-7oz per session, double pumping for 15-20 mins (so that's combined, not per side)

November 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think 1-3oz on one side at 6wks is great! I only got about 4oz total at 6wks. I pumped about every 2-3hrs roughly, and I have a Avent, and Medela freestyle pump and love both of them.
November 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree - 1-3 oz sounds about right. I usually get 2 from each side at work during a session. Sometimes I can get a little more if I wait for a second let-down, but it's never as much as the first. One weird thing I found out was if I move it around a little (such as lifting my breast and pulling a bit on the breast shield so my nipple stretches), I can get some more out. On my left breast, lifting the breast while pumping seems to get a significant amount more out after it seems to be done. This doesn't work on the right side. Maybe you can try different positions. I have the Ameda Purely Yours.

Thank you Vicki!

November 23rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
cydonia1978's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This thread is reassuring to me. I'm 3 weeks post partum and two weeks into pumping (lost about a week due to complications) and I can get anywhere from 0.5-1.5 oz per side. I thought that was pretty bad, but I guess for being 2 weeks into it, it's not terrible.

December 12th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Happy Mommy
I ddin't start pumpingo n a regular basis until 6 weeks when I went back to work. I would break even with what she was drinking, so at first I would get 6 ounce sin 6 hours total from both sides. the more I pump and themore she nrused the more I made and now I get much more, between 3-6 ounces per pump session.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search