moving with frozen breastmilk

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2011, 05:56 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone ever moved with a bunch of frozen breastmilk? We're buying a new house in 2 weeks, and I have a freezer full of frozen milk. The freezer is going with us. Would it be best to move the milk to a couple of coolers and throw some ice on top, or leave it in the freezer while it's being moved? I'm thinking it's gotta come out.

Oh, and we are packing up the moving vans that morning. Closing at 10 on the curent house and 11 on the new house, then going over and unloading. So maybe 4-6 hours of the freezer being unplugged? DH is trying to make sure the freezer is one of the last things packed, and first unpacked. But he's also got a long list of things that are "last" to be packed...

Anyway, anyone have any tips?

November 22nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep i would put the milk in a cooler with lots of ice. If it's a deep freezer you can leave the milk in there and it'll stay cold even though it's been unplugged a couple of hrs. (It'll stay colder in there then a cooler) Then I would pack the cooler full of ice and milk and transport it over right away, and put it back in the freezer as soon as it's plugged in.
November 22nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
If you can move the freezer with the milk in, I'd keep it there. Maybe throw in some extra ice (or dry ice), duct tape it shut really well and it should stay cold for the move. Our deep freeze stayed frozen when we lost power for 8 days. It was only plugged in a few hours each night when we had a generator running.

November 23rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, leave it in the freezer. Pack the freezer 100% full (fill any empty space with water bottles, newspaper, towels, etc.) We do this before a hurricane to keep it colder longer. The less air there is in there, the better. Then just close it up tight and don't open it until it is in the new house plugged back in. I would think that should be fine for a day.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
November 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do what the others suggested and leave it in the freezer. Check the manual if you still have it because sometimest he manufacturers recommend that you leave them (and a fridge) to sit for a few hours after moving to let the gas settle.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search