pumping issues

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hi ladies I am new here. My daughter is two months old and I am having issues with pumping and breastfeeding in general. Since she was born, I have had to supplement. Therefore breastfeeding has been a constant struggle. To begin with, I don't make a lot of milk as is but I stuck to my guns that I was going to do it. Needless to say, my daughter still receives formula after she feeds off of me.

Someone told me to take fenugreek herbs to increase my milk supply. I did this and it actually worked however my daughter still only eats so much from me, gets formula (about 4 to 5 oz) and then I result in pumping. Thinking there is still a lot of milk inside me, I still only pump about 5ml to 10ml combined.

I guess I should say that before I was pregnant I was a 42DD and now I'm a 44E. When I pump I have to squeeze my breasts to make them shrink because the suction in the Medela Advanced in Style isn't meant for larger breasted women.

I am looking into purchasing a new pump possibly a simplisse which is supposed to have a better suction. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it (like a hospital grade which would be ideal but not for 1200 dollars)

Any suggestions, as to what else I should be doing?
November 27th, 2011, 04:48 AM
mico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I am pumping exclusively, and have been for 4 months. I wear a 42DD right now, and the suction is just fine, I get at least 10 oz combined in 10 min. of pumping. I did have to go buy larger shields, and I do massage while I'm pumping, but the suction realy shouldn't be an issue. Try buying larger shields, I know they make at least two sizes larger than what it comes with.

Thank you brie_91 for my Siggy!
November 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM
The shields didn't work. They come in 27, 30 and 36. They still only give me like 5 to 10 ml combined within a 30 minute span.

I have been told by many people including my lactation consultant that it most likely is the suction and I will possibly need to get a hospital grade pump because of the size of my breasts and the fact that the milk is not coming down.

On several occasions while pumping I have had to squish my breasts to make them smaller and the same amount comes out. I know that there is more milk in there but it doesn't come out.
November 27th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I should also say that I was a 42DD but now I'm a 44 E/F and like I said before I have to squish them in order to get the milk to really flow....still only get 5 to 10ml combined when there is so much more in there.
November 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
did you buy your pump new? perhaps there is an issue with the motor? I don't think breast size and suction should be related.

Some women just don't respond well to the pump. Some things that can improve output are thinking about/hearing/smelling your baby (if you pump while away from them), breast compression/massage while pumping, pumping on one side while nursing on the other, keeping your mind off pumping by doing something else (reading, internet, tv, etc).

If you think a hospital grade pump is the answer, perhaps you can rent one for a month or two first to see if it really helps.

November 27th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hi Erin,

Yes I did buy my pump new. I have tried several times to pump while she feeds however my breast size is so big that I have to hold her as well as hold my own breast up so that she doesn't choke on the milk if that's even possible.

I am looking into buying a simplisse to see if it really is the pump suction or its just me.

I guess I have to just wait and see!
November 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Happy Mommy
keep putting baby to breast.

stop supplimenting, if baby isn't demanding from you, you don't make mroe milk.

get a hospital grade pump, even ifyou only use it for a few months, look into renting one, it will really help. tons!

also pump form one side while baby is latched onto the other, it will help your body learn to respond to the pump
November 30th, 2011, 01:52 AM
shortlette's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
keep putting baby to breast.

stop supplimenting, if baby isn't demanding from you, you don't make mroe milk.

get a hospital grade pump, even ifyou only use it for a few months, look into renting one, it will really help. tons!

also pump form one side while baby is latched onto the other, it will help your body learn to respond to the pump
ditto to this. I don't know exactly how European sizes relate to US but my nursing bras were a 44F I had a second hand pump in style and had no trouble at all pumping with my PISA.

Breastfeeding was always a two handed business for me. I used a football hold (just found it easier) and if I was feeding on the right I'd have my left hand supporting my breast and right hand holding baby's head.

When do you pump. After feeding? if you baby is emptying you by BF'ing then 5-10ml is "normal". Can you hand express?

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ing-101-a.html (Hand Expressing 101)

Breastshield sizes aer more to do with the size of your nipple than your breast. Even if you have a large breast you might actually need a smaller size.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ld-flange.html (Are you using the right size breastshield / flange?)

How often are you feeding and pumping? Are you drinking so much water that youhave to pee every half hour? and eating?

good luck

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my siggy
December 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's possible that your boobs need more suction to respond well, but it's not likely related to your boob size. I'm sporting some full DD's right now and a medela PIS is working at just below the middle suction. My good friend who is pumping for her 2 month old said hers are at about an I right now, and she's also using a PIS. But I think that some people DO respond better to different pumps, and different levels of suction.

One thing that helps me if I feel liek my milk isnt' flowing is to take the horn and kind of press it into my breast then release the pressure, and do that over and over for 30 seconds to a minute. It sometimes helps start another let down.

I hope you can figure out the right combo for you for pumping!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search