More output...

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How do I get more enough milk pumping to make it worth it? I only get like 2 oz at a time, and it hurts my nipples. It is super annoying. I know I make plenty of milk. I want to stock up in case my milk dries up when I get pregnant.....

My son is 8.5 months old and I am TTC #2.

December 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you pumping right after you feed him? Because if so, then 2 oz over and above what you are making for him is not that bad. If you think you have more milk though and the pump isn't getting it all out, then try breast compressions while you are pumping (that always helps me). You can also try a different size flange if it is not fitting your nipple right (there is a great thread above ... I think in the pumping tips section that talks about how they should fit). This might definitely be the case if it is hurting to pump.

I am sure some of the more experienced ladies may have some other advice, but as someone who has been bfing and pumping both for almost 7 months now, that is off the top of my head.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
December 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
yep, what she said above me. Also, sometimes pumping takes some getting used to. I was much more sore when I started pumping, but I got used to it over time. I also would put on lanolin after pumping to help with some soreness. Some people don't respond as well to the pump and it will be hard to get more. Or, if you haven't been pumping much then it will take time to tell your body to make more milk. At your DS's age your supply is pretty well established so it may take more time to trigger your body to increase it's output.

Good luck!

December 23rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
You might have to use herbs to increase your milk supply. I've been using Breastea (just do a websearch for it ) to increase my milk supply. It's working well.
December 31st, 2011, 03:02 AM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
I was going to suggest someting to increase supply .. I have just started taking fenugreek .. I'm hoping it works!
December 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM
Happy Mommy
keep going. it takes a while.
January 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
Just keep pumping, I'd try different flanges- maybe soft shell? But 2 ounces after nursing is great. I don't know how much any supplements at this point would help as your milk is so established at this point. You will toughen up the more you pump, the pump is very harsh. You can try and put some olive oil on the inside of the flange and it will help grease you up a little big to make pumping more bearable.

\
January 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I get 2 oz I'm pretty happy! I feel like that's pretty good if you're BFing full time as well.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Regular
i use hard shell shields (all of this info was provided to me by a lactation consultant), the soft shields have actually been discontinued by medela they said because they inhibit milk production. she also said:
- fenugreek but take 2x the recommended on the bottle (get just fenugreek, no fillers she said) and she said as long as you don't have any thyroid or liver problems it's ok to take
- oatmeal
- malt (ovaltine or beer)
- also massaging your breasts and squeezing them while you pump really works. when i do that, i get an extra half to a full ounce.
- hospital grade pump (you can rent them) like the medela symphony.
- eating a well balanced diet...if you diet (to lose weight) you'll see a decrease in your milk supply

i had the freestyle and i switch to renting the symphony and my supply doubled. i also eat oatmeal every day for breakfast and take fenugreek.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search