New Here!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Super Mommy
Hi all!

I'm Sarah - I have a 4 week old baby, Anna, who I am pumping for. Anna refuses to latch (it's just too much work!) without a nipple shield, so we've moved onto feeding 1-2 times a day with the shield and pumping the rest of the time. I came on to find the breastfeeding board, but was delighted to find this board as well. Sometimes I feel all alone when everyone talks about how much they love breastfeeding and how smooth it went. We had a rough start but I'm happy with where we ended up. I'm looking forward to reading and posting here - let's hope all continues to go well with the path we're on!
January 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome I think everyone needs to do what works best for them. I used nipple shields from about 2 weeks on for both of mine. Abigail never did learn not to use one, and slowly nursed less and less (when I went back to work, she got WAY too used to a bottle). She used to nurse still first thing in the morning when I was very full, and from 6 1/2 months or so on I don't think she has nursed at all, or if so VERY rarely. She gets all her milk from bottles, but you know what .. it works. Her brother, Noah, LOVES his nipple and we managed to wean him from the nipple shield at around 5 months (we tried plenty of times before that, but it didn't work until then). Now he nurses happily without it. I was happy to use the nipple shield for so long though .. yes, it was a pain, but it worked for us. I think that is all that matters. Find what works for you (nursing, pumping, some combination of the 2) .. and go with it Anyway .. that was a long way to say .. welcome!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Regular
welcome! same thing happened to me. my DD didn't latch properly so, she destroyed my nipples, i had to use a nipple shield but even then, it was difficult so, i started pumping and bottle feeding her the milk...she then wouldn't latch to my actual breast anymore.
it is a lot of work for them, even a slow nipple, they get it much faster than the breast.
it's amazing that you tried, it's a wonderful gift to your child and bonding even if you only do it for a day! so, good for you!
i felt the same way....everyone seemed to just whip their boob out and the baby eats and everything is fine...it doesn't happen that way for all of us unfortunately but, you're not alone!
right now my baby is almost 3 months and i'm pumping for her still and i feel better about it than actually breastfeeding. I know how much she's getting now (she got a little skinny when she wasn't latching properly), my nipples feel better, my husband can help...it ended up working out well even though i felt like a failure at the beginning and also a little depressed because i thought, i gave her life, i was her only food source, now she was "independent" if you will after she wouldnt' latch...but that's all normal feelings.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search