Accessories and working full time

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you work full time, how many of each part do you own? Like shields, bottles, etc. I plan on pumping at least 3 times a day when I go back to work. So should I buy at least 3 sets of shields or just buy the steam bags? I'm trying to think which would be the most cost effective.

Also does anyone pump in the car? Any tips? I know I'll need the car adapter and a handsfree bra but any other suggestions? I have a pretty long commute so I figure I may as well make the most of it!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 9th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work full time and went back to work when they were 9 weeks old. I have two sets of pump parts (only because the hospital gave me one and the other came with the pump). I had a bunch of extra bottles also, because someone bought us the medela starter pack for a baby shower. I definitely liked having extra bottles (depending on how much you pump a day), because I didn't want to pump into the storage bags when the milk was just going to get used the next day.

Someone on here gave me this idea for pump parts and it has worked great. In between pumpings I rinse the parts out in hot water, put them in a ziploc and put them in the refrgerator with my milk. After all, if there is any bit of milk left on the pump parts, it will be fine refrigerated for 8 hours, because you can refrigerate the mik itself that long too. Then when I get home every night, the parts get washed and soaped well.

I don't pump in the car on a regular basis, because I have a short commute, but I have done it sometimes on weekends when we are away from home for a long period of time (nursing both away from home is not something I can do easily, so I generally give them bottles, so I would pump in the car and give them bottles when we stopped). I just used the battery pack that came with the pump, but if you are going to do it on a daily basis, and adapter might be good. Definitely get (or make) a hands free pumping bra. DH made me two from old sports bras that we marked the nipples on and cut holes. They have been wonderful for the car, and for being able to do something at home or work while pumping (like now). I usually took one of the babies receving blankets to cover my front a little better when I pumped in the car. I decided I didn't need anyone giving me funny looks at stoplights Otherwise it worked well. I have never tried it while driving though, just as a passenger.

Hopefully that helps some ... let me know if I can answer anything else.... oh .. and I don't know what you do for work, but I sit behind a computer and what has truly helped me remember to pump at work is to set a reminder on outlook for 3 times a day. Otherwise I get busy and forget ... as it is I am pretty much down to twice a day now, which I hate, but I just get SOO busy. So anything you can do to remind yourself and force it is GOOD!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 10th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Happy Mommy
I work full time, and pump 3X daily at work

I have 2 sets of shields, but I only bring one set with. and I don't use the steam bags. I rinse everything in the sink after and that is it, it gets washed by hand at night at home. no issues. I have 2 sets because well my dog ate one of the horns so I had to get another one, and I couldn't buy just one. so really I have not quit 2 full sets.

I have a multitude of bottles. I have about 16 of the small 80 ml bottles. I have 8 f the 5 ounce bottles. and then I also have 2 8 ounce bottles. all that can attach. I fill my pump bag with a random assortment of bottles and just pump into them. seal and put in my freezer bag. then I prepare the next day bottles off the fresh milk and freeze the extra. with the exception of Friday which I pump and put into bags and into my freezer bag and straight into the freezer at home. then I pull out the oldest frozen for Monday's bottles.

My commute is not that far for work, but when I have had to travel I have pumped in the car. I have a smaller battery operated pump that I have used for that. it just does one side at a time, and I've been able to hold it and drive at the same time. not the most but it worked in a pinch. if you were going to regularly pump in the car def get the bra.

I second scheudleing your pumping time on outlook. I actually have to to book the room that I use, but then it pops up my reminder, which was much needed some days. after a while your body will know and even if your mind forgets your boobs will remind you it's time to pump now

and just make sure you have a good pump. I have a medela lactina that I use and love. I also have the swing pump for traveling with. and boy am I glad I did not start with the swing as my primary pump because I'd not be here today as a pumper.
January 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I didn't even rinse or store in the fridge.... breastmilk is safe at room temp like 8-10 hours and between my first and last work pumps was 6 hours or so, so I just put them in a ziploc and stored in my pump bag. I think I ended up with two sets of parts, but I only brought one set with me to work each day.

January 10th, 2012, 03:14 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the advice! I am so glad I won't have to continuously wash my pump parts!! I'm glad I have the extra set though so now I only have to wash every other day! It looks like I will be buying some more bottles. We need more bottles anyway since I've been BFing we don't use them very often but will start much more frequently! Right now I have 8 so I definitely need a couple more packs.

Do you stick with the 6 oz bottles or will be eventually use the 9?

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 11th, 2012, 01:51 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I never gave my DD more than 4oz in a bottle, so I never got big ones. I had 4 bottles I pumped into, then transferred into 4 bottles to send with her. Any extra milk was frozen in bags. So I really only needed 8 bottles total. I had a couple more floating around, but I washed everything each night, so all I needed was the 8.

January 12th, 2012, 06:53 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had 3 sets of horns and about 12 or so of the 5oz bottles. I hated washing pump parts and bottles, so this made it so I only had to do it 2x a week I also just took one set with me, and rinsed them after pumping and used again the next session. Worked beautifully!

February 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have extra bottles (I think I have 6 total) so I can just screw the top on and store my milk in the bottle until i go home from work. I don't have extra horns, etc. I wash at work in between pumping sessions. After my last pumping session, I put in a plastic bag and wash when I get home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search