Where do you pump at work?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joellejello

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have an open cube so pumping there is out.
My boss offered me her office, but it has a large window. I tried it a few times by sitting in the one spot that is mostly hidden, but it felt weird. Not to mention it took forever to wait for her to leave, get set up, put a sign on the door...
So I've resorted to leaving my electric pump home and using my hand held in a bathroom stall.
Not ideal, but it works.

How about all of you? Is it difficult to pump at work?
January 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't gone back yet but I think I've decided I'm going to pump in my classroom. It has a big window on the door but I'm just going to cover it with paper and lock my door while im pumping. It'll probably be weird at first but I think I'll feel more comfortable there than anywhere else.

This probably is no help though, sorry!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I let HR and my bosses know I would be pumping and they provided me with an empty office to pump in. A few months after I was back someone else started pumping too so we shared the office. We just coordinated times and put a door hanger on the outside of the door when we were in there, so we wouldn't walk in on each other.

January 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My work provides mommy rooms, just small rooms with a chair, some sort of table surface, and some of them have a small sink. It's a large company, so there are 6 rooms and they are first come first serve, but it's never a problem to get one.
lmunoz8517 likes this.

January 14th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, you gals have it nice!
My health insurance is pro-breastfeeding and provided me with a free electric Madela pump.
My workplace is not so accomidating though. While my boss tries, there just isn't a space. So I just use my handheld pump in a bathroom stall and a few times in my car.
Not ideal, but it works. At least I am allowed the time to do it.
January 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Happy Mommy
we have a designated conference room (of sorts) that is just for the pumping moms to use.
January 15th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work in a cubicle too, so I had to find myself a space. The first two months I had it great, because there was an empty office for a position that was vacant. it had a computer and everything, so I could even work while I pumped ... LOVED IT! When that position was filled, the only other office with a door that was available was an extra office that was adjacent to the office of one of our staff. It was for the assistant he used to have. At first it felt weird, because I had to go through his outer office area to get there, but after 4 months I am used to it. I have a key to his outer door for the days he isn't there. This office doesn't have a computer anymore though, so I bring a book for my lunch break, and other times I bring whatever work I can that doesn't involve a computer (not much)
I did pump in my car once too ... I just put the sun shield on my front window and hung a blanket in the side window. If you have to pump in the bathroom or your car, you can get a battery pack for the pump ... or a car adapter. Then you could use the electric pump still. I did pump in the bathroom when I was traveling for work at a conference. I didn't even use a stall either. There was a chair in the bathroom, and I put my pump on the windowsill. I suppose I have become a lot less modest since I got pregnant. I figure they are women and truthfully with the pumping bra on and my tank top pulled down to the top of the flanges, you couldn't see much. Most of the women actually stopped to talk to me and comment on their kids or their experiences back when they had babies (most of them were much older). Of course, your bathroom may not have much room ...

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 16th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found myself an empty office - and told my boss I would be using it... lol... I think everyone knows I use it now.

I started back at work March 1 last year - and it was weird. The walls are paper thin, and even though I would leave a sign in there that said "room in use" people would use the sign too - and then forget to take it down, so they weren't following it. I locked the door - but would hear it rattle while I was pumping. I got so frustrated at times!!! I finally hung a sign on the door that says "this room is reserved daily from ... " and put my sign in the desk drawer that says "room in use - please do not disturb" and it worked. Oh - and I had to tell the one girl that was using it for personal reasons (phone calls on break) - that I need the room at those times. After that - it finally started working out.

I pumped 3x a day at work!

Can you maybe ask your boss if you can paper the window so that you can have privacy while your in there? She should understand!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
January 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
caitbeans's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to caitbeans
I pump in random offices, I have a key to each of the offices on the floor I work so whoever isnt there is where I pump. I've pumped in an empty pts room as well once. Can you pump in your car with a car charger OR get a battery charger hook up for your pump?

\
February 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM
kristen121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work in a long term care facility. I work the evening shift, so I usually use the social worker's office or the nurse manager's office since at least one and usually both of them are gone for the day before I need to pump. According to the employee handbook, the official area for pumping moms is the beauty shop (the beautician is there 3 mornings a week to do resident's hair, other than that it's usually empty), but I find it easier to use the offices since they are on the unit I work on and they don't mind me using them.

February 12th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrowe70 View Post
I have an open cube so pumping there is out.
My boss offered me her office, but it has a large window. I tried it a few times by sitting in the one spot that is mostly hidden, but it felt weird. Not to mention it took forever to wait for her to leave, get set up, put a sign on the door...
So I've resorted to leaving my electric pump home and using my hand held in a bathroom stall.
Not ideal, but it works.

How about all of you? Is it difficult to pump at work?
First off, if you work somewhere with over 50 employees, by federal law they have to provide you with a private, sanitary place to pump that is not a bathroom. (2010, Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act SEC. 4207. REASONABLE BREAK TIME FOR NURSING MOTHERS).

If you choose not to push it with your employer, or if you work at a place with less than 50 employees that can prove your accommodation would be a hardship, I would look into a hands free/battery operated pump. I have a Medela Freestyle and LOVE IT!! I cannot say enough good things about this pump. When my workspace was being rearranged last week I had no place to pump for a day, so I parked my car in an out of the way place and pumped then. I also have a long commute, so I can pump while driving. I just drape a sweater or something over the front, or open my jacket, and no one can tell from the side view what I'm up to. lol!

Anyway, I'd say try to find a place at work that is private and sanitary. Other than that, you can try your car. Also, you may be able to find a car adapter for your existing pump that would make this easier.

By the way the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act only requires accommodation from 1 year after your child is born. That sucks since I am pumping at 15.5 months!

Good luck, it's difficult. I have a door, but it took a long time for people to stop knocking and trying to talk to me through the cubicle wall "Lucy, are you in there? I can hear you typing" I would either not respond or just politely ask them to come back later then tell them privately what was going on. They were usually pretty mortified. lol!

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search