When did you go back?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How old was your LO when you went back to work?

Did they have any trouble switching back and forth betwen breast and bottle?

I am going back the 30th and also found out I have to supplement a few oz of formulas a day cause DS isn't gaining fast enough. I'm really starting to worry that between the bottles during the work day, plus a couple when I home on the weekends/days off that he won't want the breast anymore.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm a retired pumper but was just checking in (I got soo much help from this board when I was pumping!)

I went back at 12 weeks and my DD occasionally gave a fuss about bottles, but never about nursing! Make sure you have low flow nipples - that makes the bottles harder like nursing.

Nice thing about pumping is you get an idea of your output and can start to influence it (for me power pumping, oatmeal and rootbeer helped bump supply.)

Hugs! I remember being so stressed about going back and pumping, but it went much smoother than I thought it would.

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
January 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I went back at 13 weeks and my DD didn't really have a problem going back and forth. I started her on occasional bottles fairly early and luckily she didn't have any issues from that. But she was (and still is) the kind of kid who doesn't care where it comes from as long as she gets food.

January 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went back at 6 weeks - and did the same as you with the supplement. I had no problem with him going back to the breast, or using a bottle. He's now a year (tomorrow) and I"m about to retire from pumping. I stopped BFING at 11 months.

Good luck to you!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
January 13th, 2012, 10:04 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing!! That gives me hope. We've given him a bottle or two a week since he was born and he hasn't had any problems thus far. I'm hoping that giving him a couple bottles a day will help him adjust to me going back to work. Trying to look at it positively instead of negatively He'll be 11 weeks when I go back.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They were 9 weeks when I went back. Even before I went back to work, I was havign issues nursing, so take that into account when you read my experience. Both were using nipple shields still. Noah was nursing well with it though, and Abigail was a very fussy nurser. At the recommendation of the LC, she was getting a bottle of pumped milk after about 1/2 to 3/4 of her feedings (depending on how well she had nursed).

When I went back to work, not surprisingly Abigail had more issues. After a month or so the only time I could get her to nurse well at all was first thing in the morning when my breasts were REALLY full. I think it was around 6 months that I basically gave up trying to nurse her at all and she now exclusively gets bottles. She is also pickier about her food, and unless she is REALLY hungry she prefers her food warm ... and (this drives me insane sometimes) when she is really fussy and fighting sleep she actually prefers formula over milk .. Arrrghhh!!

Noah on the other hand switches back and forth between a bottle and nursing without any trouble and we even got him weaned totally off the nipple shield around 5 - 5 1/2 months or so. He is one of those that will take whatever food you give him, however you give it to him.

I think the point in all of this is that if you have a good nurses now ... who occaisionally gets a bottle as it is ... you are likely not to have any issues when you go back to work .... if you have a fussier nurser now, then you might have issues.

Hope that helped!

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 14th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Went back just 2 weeks ago(he was 5 months).

He had a few days of difficulty adjusting to daycare, but they were able to feed him just fine. One day I even miscalculated his milk so they had to give formula. Not thrilled about that, but it was my own fault. He'd had a few bottles before with sitters so we weren't too worried about bottles. They have a nursing nook there so a few times I've been able to go on my lunch break and feed him.
Mostly I was worried about sleep because we bedshare. But they said it was actually quite simple to get him into his crib.

Honestly it makes me a little sad that he is alright with a bottle.
January 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Happy Mommy
6 weeks, no issues. I use the breastflow bottles
January 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I havent gone back to work yet with this baby butnwith my daughter it was 8 weeks and she switched between bottle and breast just fine. We used Advant bottles with slow leak nipples.

I am praying it goes as well this time. He will be 6 weeks old and has had a few bottles but that was before my milk came in at the hospital...I am still angry over this.

I am sure your LO will do well. Just remember to relax and take it slow.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search