new here with a couple questions

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jennyt13

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Hello! If these have been answered please point me in the correct direction.

I am going back to work on the 23rd so starting then my son will be BF while I am home and get breastmilk from a bottle.when I am at work. I am currently pumping and storing 3 oz bags of milk. I believe this is the amount Instored and gave to my daughter. I guess my question is if he nurses (fast and furious) for 15 mins every two hours is 3 oz at a time enough and should I count on him taking a bottle every two hours? Guess that is two questions.lol

My other question is I am currently using a manual pump but am in the market for an electric. I am hoping to get a Medela PIS but am also considering a Medela Swing. Any opinions on these? Or a strong preference for another brand?

Thank you in advance for any help.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
January 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am fairly new to this but in a similar situation! DS is 2 months and I'm going back to work the 30th.

I store milk in 3-4 oz increments. It seems to be the amount that keeps him satisfied when we've been out and bottle feeding. It also seems to be what I heard from other ladies on this board. I know he would take more but likely spit it up. Since it comes out much faster he doesn't realize he's full so I give him the 3-4 oz and then give him his paci. It usually keeps him pretty happy

I have a PIS and have no complaints. Everyone who has experience with pumping has suggested medela. If you're planning on doing it while working full time I'd definitely get the double just to make it easier on you!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
January 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Happy Mommy
that should be fine, really you'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

what I do is freeze the extra, and what she takes today at daycare I replace with fresh for tomorro. so if she only takes 6 ounces I give 6 ounces and freeze the rest. if she only does 3 then I give 3 and freeze the rest (but she always has 3 bottle sin play) if that makes sense.

re the swing. it is a single pump and, for me, it is not that effective. it works, but takes much longer then my lactina. it works in a pinch, but if you are going to be pumping alot at work you'll want a double pump.
January 15th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thank you ladies for the responses. I think I am going to shoot for the PIS, I am sure DH will understand.lol

Thankfully I will only be doing bottles three days a week for now and for at least two of them he will be watched at our apartment so milk will be at the ready (or at least in the freezer).

I keep telling myself I should do a trial run while I am home to see how he does and what he drinks but I just can't make myself do it.lol

January 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Happy Mommy
you might find too that the first few days he might take more. that is what bob did. I think it is because she thought if she asked to eat then eventually mom had to show up with the boobies after she realised I wasn't going to be there during that time she cut way back and then reversed cycled (took more at night then during the day)

just send extra the first day just in case.
January 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The PIS pays for itself! I've been pumping for over a year now - and it has saved me so much time!! I've also learned to position the cups in my nursing bra, so that I can be semi hands free to play with my iphone
Flukie likes this.

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
January 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
The "experts" say that the average intake for a breastfed baby is 25oz/day so you can estimate they should need about 1oz per hour they will be away from you. It is easier to overfeed a baby with a bottle, especially since sucking is comforting to most babies. My DD had 12oz of milk while I was at work, spread over 4 bottles. You may have to just see how he does, playing around with number of bottles and amounts.

I think a double electric pump is well worth it, gets the job done in half the time of pumping each side individually! Plus considering the cost of formula for a year, investing in a good pump pays for itself.

January 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w292737 View Post
you might find too that the first few days he might take more. that is what bob did. I think it is because she thought if she asked to eat then eventually mom had to show up with the boobies after she realised I wasn't going to be there during that time she cut way back and then reversed cycled (took more at night then during the day)

just send extra the first day just in case.
How cute is that! Lol

Thank you all for the advice. Thankfully when I am.not here he will be watched in our apartment so all.the milk we have will be easy to access. I am.hoping to nurse at 7am and be home to nurse by 5 or 6pm so I am esitmating 15 ounces. A little high but better safe.

January 25th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyt13 View Post
The PIS pays for itself! I've been pumping for over a year now - and it has saved me so much time!! I've also learned to position the cups in my nursing bra, so that I can be semi hands free to play with my iphone
Please elaborate on the bra u use and how u position it.
I'd love to do both breast at the same time but it kills me not to have a spare hand.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

January 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug06 View Post
Please elaborate on the bra u use and how u position it.
I'd love to do both breast at the same time but it kills me not to have a spare hand.
i don't know what anyone else uses, but I just took an old sportsbra and marked where the nipples were on it .. then DH cut holes for the flanges to go through. It worked so well I made a second one so I can switch (for if one is in the wash). It was cheap and lets me play on the computer (Im pumping right now

Psalm 139:9-10
]
January 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Super Mommy
I pump with the cups in my bra too! Gotta be hands free.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search