Question on breast pumps!! Your experiences needed!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok I am looking for a breast pump. I'm due in the end of April. I have breastfed three babies. I rented a hospital grade pump w/my second and third child when I had to go back to work (exclusively breastfed the first since I wasn't working..and didn't have to pump). However it costs $60/month. If you add that up I could have bought several pumps of my own by now.

I'm looking to purchase a double electric pump this time around but am unsure which to get. For some background, I have trouble relaxing and with letdown, when pumping and not breastfeeding. I also have a hard time finding any that fit...I have really really large nipples, and they seem to get pinched/suctioned hard with even the wide flanges.

So anyways my question is I need something that....

*Is comfortable, and does not pinch (with the knowledge that my nipples are quite larger than the average apparently!)
*Something that will not impede my breastmilk production, I'm going back to work at 6 weeks and will probably start pumping at 1 mos to start some storage. I'll also probably pump when engorged the first week or so and set aside.
*Something that is QUIET. I will be pumping in the bathroom at the bank where I work and customers will be able to hear a noisy pump...embarrassing and will probably tense me up and impede let down and milk collection, once again.

I am not willing to spend $800 on a pump, but wouldn't mind looking in the $200-$300 range IF necessary. If I can find a cheaper one that works just as well, all the better. But I know how vital it is to have a pump that you like and doesn't hurt! Thanks girls!

PS> The hospital grade pump I used before was a Medela Symphony 2.0, which costs $750/used. So way out of my price range =(. But it worked well.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

Last edited by ElizabethS; February 5th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
February 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I've been using a Medela pump in style advance.
It's double and works great. 2 phase letdown.
I've been exclusively pumping to bottle feed my dd and she's 3 weeks. Just today I got her to latch on.

Anyway. It's pretty quiet and I also had big nipple issues. I bought 30mm flanges and they have a set one step larger that are XXL if you need that.

Do you have insurance? If so call and ask if they cover the purchase of a pump with a prescription. A lot of ins companies do as long as its purchased through a durable medical equipment company who is in network.
I paid $0 for mine through insurance.

I actually have 2 Medela PIS. I bought one when leaving the hospital and the second one the ins pd for. They are about $300 in stores.
I have a 2 story house so I wanted to have a pump on both floors to make it easier since I pump so much.

Anyway I think the Medela pis is the closest to the symphony you will get.
I used a symphony in the hospital and honestly I can't tell much of a diff between the two.

For ref I pump about 40 to 45 oz a day using my Medela.
It also had a battery pack so u can pump without electricity.

Do you not have an option of using any type of office somewhere in the bank to pump?
I kinda thought there was a law about having to provide a place. I could be wrong.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

March 2nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To comment on the PP - check your state laws - they may have to provide you a room more suitable than a bathroom - I know in Illinois that is a law.

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search