help newbie to this board

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
Ok so I've never pumped or BF for very long only to around 6 months of age for both my children. I pumped and as of right now my daughter is 2 months on the 9th. I pump any where from 30-40+ oz a day. I pump ever 2-3 hours. I know it this my job for her so that we don't put her on formula. My goal is to make it to 12 months this time with her. But I find my self lacking in getting house stuff done. I am pumping to get everything out the hind milk too. It takes over an hour. Am I dragging it out too long? I normally move it up once I noticed nothing is coming out. In my break time I'm trying to make sure I'm drinking a few big glasses or water. As she gets older will I be able to push it back to every 4-5 hours so I can get more done without my milk supply suffering?

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
April 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Wow, that's a LOT of milk each day!! Are you exclusively pumping? How much is she eating per day?

I am working FT and pumping for the sitter. So at work, I pump every 2-3 hours for 10 minutes each side and generally get 3-4 oz per session. When I get home, I put it in the fridge and spend the rest of the evening nursing on demand, which is about every 3-4 hours. I rarely need to pump on the weekends, because the daytime pumping at work provides everything he needs plus some extra and I just freeze it over the weekend for the sitter.

I don't think you need to spend so much time pumping at each session; depending on what kind of pump you have, I would say 10-15 minutes every 3 hours should be sufficient, depending on your baby's needs. I always have plenty of hind milk, and my LO's poop is always the recommended yellow/orange color, even after a whole day eating only pumped milk.

As your baby gets older, you should be able to spread out the pumping sessions. You could probably go another hour right now, and definitely try reducing the duration of the session. I bet you'll find that you still get a similar amount, and you should be able to get more done around the house!

April 9th, 2012, 09:34 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
I agree that is a LONG time. I pump til nothing comes out, only about 5 minutes, then I stop for 30 seconds and pump til there is nothing left, for about an additional 5 minutes worth of pumping and waiting 30 seconds.

April 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump 15-20 min. I do remember when they were younger I could pump 20-30 min until nothing more came out. I think an hour is definitely a lot though, but then every body is different.

Psalm 139:9-10
]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search