Breast pumps & insurance coverage

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tela

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 06:45 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone's insurance policy now cover a breast pump thanks to the Affordable Care Act changes?

Anybody take advantage of it?

If so, what kind of pump was covered, and was it for purchase or rental?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 17th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Regular
Mine is pretty sucky. Its blue cross blue shield of illinois and they are covering a purchased manual breast pump provided its from a designated medical supplier. manual....blah
January 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah...that is blah. If it were me, I'd probably skip it if manual was all they covered. My insurance covers a breast pump 100% if purchased from a covered supplier, but I need to call still and get the specifics (manual vs. electric, purchase vs. rental, etc). I have a Medela PIS Advanced, but if I could get another one, I would, so that I wouldn't have to lug one to work and back every day. One for work, one for home. But if I can't get another one, no big deal. It would just be nice!

February 27th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran
My gilsbar insurance says that it is a convience item. So its not covered at all. Even for medical reasons such as baby in nicu unable to nurse, dr recomended/prescribed. Extended separation from newborn, low supply. Nothing. I will call again in a few months to re-check as my policy is up for open enrolment right now. I'm hoping this aspect changes. I'm a nurse so i work 13 hour shifts most days. There is no way to bf my little one without supplememting if i can't pump at work.
February 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Oh wow...I thought all policies that were new or renewed after August of 2012 HAD to cover breast pumps in some way or another (at least rental). I would definitely call again. Maybe the plan just hasn't gotten up to speed with the new regulation.

February 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mine covered 100% a new Medela pump in style double electric....i am so happy about this!
February 28th, 2013, 01:05 PM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
I'm researching this really early (just trying to get a budget for saving for baby purchases!) but I called my insurance company yesterday. I have Blue Cross PPO of MA. They told me it's covered up to 230.00 for a double electric. I have to buy it through one of their medical suppliers, and it has to be after the baby and my doc will need to fax over an order or a letter. I looked at the suppliers and a few carry medela and a few carry ameda. The ones who carry medela seem to be further away from me, but one of them offers UPS shipping, so I think we will be all set!

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

March 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
That's great!

April 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I just got a Medela pump in style advance for $25. Insurance covered the rest!
May 1st, 2013, 09:10 AM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
Anthem BC covered my Medela double pump 100%. Since the designated ornetwork providers were out of stock I ws able to purchase mine at any retail store, I just had to buy and submit a claim to be reimbursed.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

May 29th, 2013, 08:51 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am due in 5 weeks and have been frustrated for months trying to figure this out! i have UHC, and basically - they suck! i can order from 3 national DMEs, but they only cover basic electric pumps for UHC members. i know from pumping with DS that i NEED a medela PIS or equivalent. i can also order from a local DME. i called over 30 places last week and not one works with UHC. some of them were very honest on the phone and said they choose not to work with UHC b/c of their crappy coverage! i do have my OLD PIS (it was used from a family friend, so it's now 10 years old), but i need to dig it out of the basement and see if it still works. at this point i've given up and will purchase a PISA or freestyle. i BF my son for over 2 years and pumped at work for the entire 1st year, so i know it's a good investment.

so, yay for the affordable health care act. boo for insurance companies making it so difficult that people can't take advantage of this great benefit.
June 5th, 2013, 07:39 AM
I still haven't tried yet, but it seems like a lot of people have had similar experiences, unfortunately.

June 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
tela, I own a DME that specializes in maternal and pediatric equipment (we sell a lot of breast pumps) and we just worked with several claims with UHC. If you can't find any local DME that they are in network with, you can purchase through an out of network DME with a temporary gap extension claim. They don't tell you that so you have to know to ask for it. Ask them for a gap extension since you can't find a DME that has the supplies you need
June 20th, 2013, 06:01 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
tela, I own a DME that specializes in maternal and pediatric equipment (we sell a lot of breast pumps) and we just worked with several claims with UHC. If you can't find any local DME that they are in network with, you can purchase through an out of network DME with a temporary gap extension claim. They don't tell you that so you have to know to ask for it. Ask them for a gap extension since you can't find a DME that has the supplies you need
thank you for that information! i am due in a week or so, but i decided to wait until the baby is born to order a pump. my son had severe jaundice from ABO incompatibility that kept us in the hospital for a week. if this baby has the same issues, i will get a rental (UHC said they would cover it if medically necessary). that will give me more time on mat leave to figure out this insurance stuff! i will def look into a gap extension claim!
juleeannk likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search