Any Exclusively pumping mommas here?

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By SSGMama
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 2 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By shurley
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By saraann
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
My son does not latch at this point so I am exclusively pumping. I feel like I am the only mom in the world doing it, or the only person in my house that understands how much work or time it takes. I mean after i feed him, burp him, change him and get him settled down then pump, clean pump parts, store milk ect I have killed at least an hour, more often more, and then he is up 3 hours from the time I started feeding him so like 2 hours later or less.

Going out at this point for any period of time longer than an hour is impossible until I get my car lighter plus adapter for my pump, because my hand held manual pump does not seem to work as well as my electric, plus trying to pump while driving down the road is a bit harder then one would expect..LOL especially in Florida where covering up even in AC while manually pumping makes you sweat!

I have other kids and a house to take care of and I feel like nothing is getting done but feeding, changing and pumping sometimes I wonder why I bother pumping.. then I look at his little face and remember I was just hoping some other ladies here could relate to the frustration that sometimes goes along wit pumping exclusively, so that perhaps I would not feel so alone. My DH is hugely supportive of my pumping but my friends and family keep telling me to just put him on formula and then don't understand when I get upset.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

February 25th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Regular
I am here. I have been having some difficulties with it, But just got a travel pump. What is frustrating for me is that when the baby is hungry I have to pump then give it to him. Its a two step process every time. If I left the baby with my husband for long enough to run out of stored milk, then the baby is crying the whole time I am pumping. then I was pumping every two hours, but when I was allowed to sleep or go out for a while and then I started to have production problems. OR foremilk/hindmilk problems. So I had to commit myself to pumping every two hours without fail. (hence the travel pump) My husband has a tendancy to reach for the formula, which I don't like, but he keeps saying its not like its poison...its just that the breastmilk is better and as long as he is getting more breastmilk than formula. And that hes still going to be better then exclusively formula fed babies. I get his logic but like you, I don't think he realizes I'm putting all this work in for a reason.
Rebelmommy likes this.
February 26th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Have you tried Mother's milk tea or fenugreek capsules? They helped boost my supply enough (at least for now) that I am making what the baby takes and about 1-2 oz more at each pumping. Like you I also started pumping every 1 1/2 to 2 hours because otherwise I was not getting enough to cover his feedings, especially when he decided to cluster feed
Talon

February 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Regular
I am taking Fenugreen and Blessed Thistle. I just started taking it about four days ago.

I'm actually quite frustrated with my husband. Even this morning. I nursed our son, on both sides, on the couch after our daughter left for school then decided to join my husband for a nap. When I layed down the baby started crying. Well it was gas, but my husband claimed he was hungry. I told him he was just feed but side nursed him again for the sake of argument. Of course he took it, but was just treating me like a pacifier because he was upset and gassy. when he unlatched and started to doze off I got up to walk the dog. Its snowing so I just took her down to pee and came back up. 5 minutes maybe lapsed and when I walked back in the front door my husband was on the couch with the baby trying to get him to take a bottle of formula. Really? I told him he wasnt hungry, and even humored him by nursing him again. But he still felt like the crying must have been hunger and made him a 4oz formula bottle the second I walked out the door. I just said "do you want me to fail at breastfeeding?" sigh.
February 26th, 2013, 11:05 AM
((HUGS)) I think almost all men think that anytime a baby cries that they must be hungry. You don't think it could be gas, a dirty diaper, just them being uncomfortable or wanting to snuggle? Nope they MUST be hungry
SSGMama likes this.
Talon

March 26th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I know this is an older post but I wanted to pop in ...

My baby girl is a little over a week old. She was a preemie (36 weeks) and has had latching issues from the get-go. She was bottle fed in the NICU for a few days while I waited for my milk to come in and they think she got used to the bottle/instant gratification ...

I have been EP now since we've been home (last Thursday) and it is exhausting. I pump every 3-3 1/2 hours, and she takes about 2oz per feeding, I have a decent supply in the fridge right now, probably about 3-4 bottles worth. I am pumping a total of 3 - 3 1/2 oz per pump session.

It's mostly tough at night. I change her, feed her, burp her, put her down, pump for at least a 1/2 hour ... clean then I get about 1.5 hours of sleep before she's up again. Since she's a preemie I don't want to do formula so I am going to pump until she starts packing on the pounds. I feel that as long as she's getting the BM that it what is most important.

But I hear you on the frustration ... it's tough.
Rebelmommy likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

March 26th, 2013, 12:50 PM
You can do it Missa_Mae! My son will be 8 weeks old on Thurs. and I am still pumping exclusively and he has not as of yet learned to sleep for more then 3 (maybe 4 on a rare occasion) hours so even at night, like you said, I feed him, burp, change lay him back down, pump, store milk, clean pump parts and only get to bed with an hour or so to spare before I repeat the whole process, but the good news is my little guy was born weighing 5 pounds 14 oz and at his 5 week check he was 8 pounds 12 oz and a little chunker! I figure him to be over 10 pounds now, so I know that all the hard work I am putting into it is worth it because he is growing strong and healthy!
Missa_Mae likes this.
Talon

March 26th, 2013, 03:23 PM
That is awesome!!!

My baby girl was born weighing 5lbs 10.7oz ... went for a weight check on Sat and she was 5 lbs 5.1oz and today she was 5lbs 5.7oz so she's gaining slowly but thankfully gaining!
Rebelmommy likes this.

March 27th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Exclusively pumping here too. I have issues with my milk not coming out (twisted ducts etc.) so I have to really massage and compress with the pump to get it out. I tried breastfeeding both of my daughters, but poor babies just couldn't get anything out and I would have to pump after words anyways. I made it to almost a year with my first and my second daughter is almost 5 months old and I'm still going strong. I feel like all I do is pump to. I'm down to 3-4 sessions a day, but I was doing around 6 at first. I really need to get 4 in to be comfortable, but between work, 2 kids, commuting etc., it just doesn't always happen. It also takes me a good hour in the morning to get all the milk out so that's a huge time waster when I'm trying to get ready for work.

March 27th, 2013, 08:25 AM
It's so nice to see that there are other moms out there that are doing exclusive pumping. I was beginning to feel like I was all alone in the world
Leanne78 and Missa_Mae like this.
Talon

March 27th, 2013, 12:36 PM
You are def not alone ... I thought I was alone!!!

I don't mind pumping - sometimes it actually relaxes me and I get so happy seeing how much milk I'm producing for my baby. We are starting to freeze some now because I am pumping so much!

I am pumping every 3-4 hours right now and my baby is eating every 3 hours between 2 - 3 oz. My only issue is that I have a double electric pump but I can't seem to figure out how to do both breasts! I can hold the pumps to each breast but then I don't have a free hand to turn it off when I'm done lol. I have to have my SO help me in the evening but during the day/over night I have to pump one breast at a time.

March 27th, 2013, 01:03 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would DEFINITELY recommend some kind of hands-free pumping bra, especially if you're going to exclusively pump long term. It was a huge help to me. I got one from La Leche League...the only thing is you have to order a smaller size that what you normally wear, because they run big, and you want it to be snug to hold the breast shields in place. Double pumping is a HUGE time saver, and it also actually helps people pump more (can help with the let-down to double pump).

The other big time saver for me (though I wasn't exclusively pumping...but still pumped several times a day due to having to work): realizing that I could just put all the pump parts in a zip lock bag after a pumping session, and throw that in the refrigerator, and then wash them once at the end of the day. The parts don't need to be completely washed between every session (though if I had a sink around, I would usually at least rinse, and then throw in the bag/refrigerator). Because, if you think about it, breast milk has natural antibacterial properties, and is fine in the refrigerator anyway. It's just one more thing that helped keep me sane throughout my time with pumping.
Rebelmommy and Missa_Mae like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks Thai :-)

I am looking into getting a double pumping hands free bra ... right now I'm still only pumping one side at a time because my nipples are still so sore but eventually I'd like to be able to do both sides at once.

April 25th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I am exclusively pumping for the second time. My first I pumped for 9 months then had enough frozen to quit. With my second child it is much harder. It is so time consuming with pumping and feeding every 3 hours. Not to mention washing the bottles and pump pieces. I feel like I don't get to spend much time with my 4 year old. In between everything I try to do a lot with him. I also bought 2 extra sets of pump pieces so I am not constantly washing. As for being out in public as long as my husband is with me I can be out as long as we want. I take my pump and a lot of places have nursing stations and I go in there and pump. Just about every night I ask myself why am I doing this when I barely get any sleep but I just think breast milk is much better than formula and once my baby gets a little older I can drop a few pumps a day.
Rebelmommy likes this.
July 2nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am EP'ing! This is an old thread, but wanted to let everyone know I'm here!

I EP'd with my first daughter for 7 months, and then the freezer stash got her to a year. I EP'd with my second daughter for only 5 weeks, I felt so overwhelmed and my supply was super low, so I went to formula.

I am EP'ing for the third time now. My LO had a great latch, it was all going well, but then I got thrush and I just could NOT nurse through the pain of that. Once that healed, I just couldn't put her to the breast again.....I was too scared! So now I EP for her, which really sucks, but I've done it before so I'll do it again! My goal is 6 months, and then I'll go from there.
Rebelmommy likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
July 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Your girls are beautiful! I am still here and pumping too!
Talon

July 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey there! Awesome job EPing for your three girls! It's a huge commitment and accomplishment!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM
saraann's Avatar Veteran
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say good job mommas on eping, its tough! I eped for 13 months and just stopped about a month ago! There were definetly hard times when i just wanted to quit, but i had a premie and knew breast was best for him! Keep going you can do it!
Rebelmommy likes this.
September 10th, 2013, 06:10 AM
We just passed the 7 month mark And everytime it gets to the point where I wantto quit I look at my little guy and ask myself what would I do to protect him? Would I step in front of a train? take a bullet? Then I remind myself that if I am willing to do those things for him, pumping to protect him and give him the best is really a small thing and it gives me the strength to keep going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraann View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say good job mommas on eping, its tough! I eped for 13 months and just stopped about a month ago! There were definetly hard times when i just wanted to quit, but i had a premie and knew breast was best for him! Keep going you can do it!
saraann likes this.
Talon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search