Supply dipped this week

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tela
  • 1 Post By juleeannk

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Super Mommy
So I am finishing up my third week back at work (gosh, has it really been that long?) and I noticed that this week has been a bit tougher than the last two. The first two weeks, I could get away with pumping twice and getting 17-18 oz during the 9 hours I'm at work. However, this week I've had to pump 3-4 times to get the same amount. On Monday, I attributed it to pumping late Sunday night, but the issues continued all week. I'm still getting enough to feed him, but I just wonder why I'm having to pump more all of the sudden and if it's a warning sign that I should heed.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
October 4th, 2013, 09:40 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Could it possibly be signaling the return of AF? I get a dip in supply just before and during AF, and then it'll bounce back up. And mine returned within a few weeks of starting back to work with #1. With #2, it held off until 5 months.

Have you changed your membranes lately? The little white flaps? I have found that replacing them frequently REALLY helps. If they were worn out, my pumping output would drop.

Other thoughts...could it be increased stress? Not eating/drinking enough? Not pumping long enough at each session? Maybe over the weekend you could add in a power pumping session or two.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

October 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Super Mommy
I don't think it's AF. I had the progesterone-only implant put in about 9 weeks ago and haven't had any problems with that. It could be the membranes. I haven't changed them out. Luckily, I did order a couple of extra sets so I have them. I'll definitely try that next week. Thanks!

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
October 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I second the membranes. Hopefully that's all it is.

It can just be your body fluctuating though. I returned to work after 3 months home with my LO. He's now almost 14 months old! He's weaned onto cow's milk during the day, but I still nurse him at night. So I'm down to pumping just once while at work, to ensure no clogs form.

I would go through those phases where I'd pump a lot and then dwindle down. Just keep at it, and I'm sure it will even back out. Even though I hadn't started my period, I noticed that my body would sort of go through cycles, like gearing up to O and gearing up for AF. The hormones were fluctuating, even if not enough to actually signal O or AF. And I would see a change in my supply at those times.

Good for you, keeping up with pumping while at work. And good luck!

October 8th, 2013, 06:13 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
What kind of pump are you using? Have you been fit for flange size?
October 8th, 2013, 08:46 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think your supply is simply regulating! 18 oz in 9 hours is an oversupply. how much is baby drinking? the general rule is 1 oz/hour. our babes are about the same age, and caleb is drinking 3 oz every 3 hours, for a total of 9 oz.
-erin- likes this.
October 9th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for all the advice. I changed the membranes out yesterday and got the same amount as the day before, but this morning supply went back up, so we'll see. I think maybe he was having a growth spurt and was eating more in the morning and at lunch so maybe my body caught up or something.

I do agree that 18 ounces in 9 hours is a bit of an oversupply. I think I'm always afraid that I'm going to dry up so I worry needlessly.

At daycare, he eats 2.5 ounces every 1.5-2 hours with me nursing at lunch. So, he's generally taking 4 bottles for a total of 10 ounces out of the bottle. For the last week though, they'll tell me that he's still acting hungry after feedings so I'll send in two 1 ounce bottles as well in case he gets hungry. Sometimes he eats one or both of them and sometimes he doesn't. They've sent those back to me the last few days, so I probably shouldn't count that into what I need to pump every day. After daycare, he usually goes to see grandma for an hour or so. This is where the overfeeding problem occurs. She will feed him every time he fusses and usually feeds him every single bit of milk I send. Yesterday, I gave her 2 ounces and she asked me if I had anymore with me! I did, but there was no way I was leaving her 4.5 ounces for 2 hours. We have had the discussions about proper feeding amounts, but she doesn't listen. So now, she is only supplied with the proper amount for the time she will have him. Both of her kids were FF, so the concept of not needing a bigger volume of milk as he grows is foreign to her.

October 9th, 2013, 10:43 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I changed the membranes out yesterday and got the same amount as the day before, but this morning supply went back up, so we'll see. I think maybe he was having a growth spurt and was eating more in the morning and at lunch so maybe my body caught up or something.

I do agree that 18 ounces in 9 hours is a bit of an oversupply. I think I'm always afraid that I'm going to dry up so I worry needlessly.

At daycare, he eats 2.5 ounces every 1.5-2 hours with me nursing at lunch. So, he's generally taking 4 bottles for a total of 10 ounces out of the bottle. For the last week though, they'll tell me that he's still acting hungry after feedings so I'll send in two 1 ounce bottles as well in case he gets hungry. Sometimes he eats one or both of them and sometimes he doesn't. They've sent those back to me the last few days, so I probably shouldn't count that into what I need to pump every day. After daycare, he usually goes to see grandma for an hour or so. This is where the overfeeding problem occurs. She will feed him every time he fusses and usually feeds him every single bit of milk I send. Yesterday, I gave her 2 ounces and she asked me if I had anymore with me! I did, but there was no way I was leaving her 4.5 ounces for 2 hours. We have had the discussions about proper feeding amounts, but she doesn't listen. So now, she is only supplied with the proper amount for the time she will have him. Both of her kids were FF, so the concept of not needing a bigger volume of milk as he grows is foreign to her.
sounds like he's drinking the perfect amount at daycare. i would suggest increasing the amount per bottle since they say he's acting hungry. he may then go longer between feedings (this is what my DS1 did), making the total amount over the day the same as it is now. the most he ever drank was 4 oz bottles, but he'd go at least 3 hours between feedings that way. BF babies drink the same amount of milk each day (with the exception of growth spurts) from 1-6 months, so it's just the amount per bottle and time between that changes. oh, and whether they start STTN and eating more during the day to make up for that! that's something my DS1 never did (until 14 months ...), but caleb is already a fairly good sleeper with a 6 hour stretch!

the grandma thing - oy, that tough! i think you're doing the right thing by just sending a small amount. depending on what time he last ate at daycare, he likely doesn't even need any milk with grandma! (my MIL FF and does not understand BF. for that and many other reasons, she has never babysat either of my kids when they were EBF)

and my experience with the supply drop - just about every mom i know who works and pumps at work has a supply drop around 9-10 months. with DS1, i was 2 oz/day short. i added extra pumping sessions on evenings and weekends. this time around i have a nice freezer stash so i'm not so stressed about making that extra amount. with your oversupply, i'm sure you'll be fine!
October 10th, 2013, 06:35 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Have you talked to grandma about paced feedings to help replicate the pace of nursing?
-erin- likes this.
October 10th, 2013, 12:46 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
ditto Katrina and ditto paced feedings

What worked for my dd was smaller, more frequent bottles. She was (and still is) a snacker. I sent 4 3oz bottles and sometimes my MIL split them down smaller.

Heres kellymoms page about bottlefeeding a BF baby http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

And after a bottle is done - distraction! pacifier, activity change, whatever to get their mind off it if they arent truly hungry

October 10th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
Have you talked to grandma about paced feedings to help replicate the pace of nursing?
Yep. Several times. She FF, so she doesn't understand not needing to increase amounts as he gets older. She also thinks that every time he cries it means he's hungry. That leads to more feedings and stomachaches and more crying. Unfortunately, it's come to the point that I just have to restrict the amount she gets at any one time.

That reminds me, DH is about to be put on milk restriction too. He had to take Little Dude to the dr. today for his shots. I told him that there would be plenty of milk left at daycare and that would be enough until I got home from work. So what did he do? He took one of the bottles that I pumped yesterday. 9 ounces. That's more than half of what he eats in a day! I had to (maybe not-so-gently) reminded him that we will need milk for tomorrow. Grrr....

On a side note, I see the (I assume formula) bottles that the kids in his daycare get. Kids not much bigger than Finn eating 6-8 ounces at once. I just can't imagine him putting that away at once.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search