A little pumping info!

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2006, 08:40 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Storing
- Fresh pumped milk can be stored at room temperature for up to ten hours. Once breast milk has been refrigerated or frozen and then brought to room temperature, it will only be good in room temperature for ˝ hour.
- Fresh pumped milk may be refrigerated for up to five to seven days. Smell or taste your milk for freshness before offering it to your baby.
- Fresh pumped milk can be stored in the average freezer for up to six months depending on the freezing capacity of your refrigerator. If ice cream stays frozen solid, your freezer is adequate for storing milk for six months. If ice cream stays soft, your freezer is adequate for storing milk for only three months. Milk can be stored in a deep freeze (20 degrees Fahrenheit) for up to 12 months. Store milk in the coldest part of the freezer, away from the door.
- Fresh pumped milk that has been refrigerated for up to 48 hours may be frozen. (DO NOT FREEZE milk that has been refrigerated for longer than 48 hours.)
- Breast milk expands when it freezes. Fill the bottle or bag to within one inch of the top to allow for this expansion.
- If large quantities of milk are easily expressed, fill several plastic bottles or bags rather than one big bottle. The baby will only be taking a few ounces in the beginning, so do not waste your precious milk.
- Use the oldest milk first.

Defrosting
- Thaw breast milk at room temperature, or in a bowl of hot tap water. Defrost using the least amount of heat possible. NEVER MICROWAVE BREAST MILK as it may create hot spots and destroys some beneficial vitamins and enzymes.
- Breast milk will often separate when cooled as the cream rises to the top. Mix the milk by gently shaking.
- Do not feed defrosted milk to your baby until it is completely thawed.
- Once frozen milk is thawed, it is only good in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

(http://babies.sutterhealth.org/breas...g_storing.html)

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

September 29th, 2006, 10:42 AM
soontobemommyto3
Once breast milk has been refrigerated or frozen and then brought to room temperature, it will only be good in room temperature for ˝ hour.

I don't buy this. Formula is good for 2 hours at room temp if not touched by baby and 1 hour if touched by baby. Breastmilk would be AT LEAST as safe. I have used it after 1/2 hour or longer at room temp after being in the fridge and have never had a problem. This is my second time EP'ing and I did the same 4 years ago. Babies will not drink soured milk. After freezing is a different story, treat it like formula since it does not have any antibodies left in it.

In all honesty, they don't really know how long refridgerated breastmilk brought to room temp lasts, no one has done extensive research on it. Best rule of thumb is to smell it, if it smells good it is ok.
September 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had milk go sour on me... it smells horrible... made me gag.

I also have kept milk out for over a half hour and it has been fine.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search