Does anyone have any info. . .

Forum: Pumping Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2006, 08:41 AM
~*kath*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
on the nutritional differences in BM and EBM? I know that BM is best, I just don't know the exact differences.

*Taylor Christen Violet Due January 21, 2014*

September 29th, 2006, 10:36 AM
soontobemommyto3
i could write a book

basically breastmilk from the breast is best because everything is intact and whole. When you express milk two things happen. First the molecules get broken up so if you think about a necklace, from the breast the necklace is whole in the bottle the necklace is in pieces. Still good just different. Second the breastmilk gets exposed to the air which causes oxidation, meaning eventually the nutrients in the milk will be oxidized or start to breakdown, like all other foods. This doesn't happen immediately but does happen. A bottle of fresh breastmilk will have more complete nutrition then one sitting in the fridge for 8 days (which is still drinkable and superior to formula). Freezing and putting in the fridge slows down the oxidation.

Heating it destories some of the nutrition and antibodies as well. I typically either feed freshly expressed or pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up for an hour on the counter. I do use a bottle warmer if we are in a hurry (starving baby) or in the middle of the night. I don't warm warmer than body temp though, if that.

Lastly if you EP like me, you don't get the feedback to what germs baby has picked up. When you breastfeed these germs get on your nipples and your body makes antibodies for them and then your babies gets the antibodies through your milk. This doesn't happen if you EP, but I don't think it is that big of a deal. Babies expose you to their germs in many other ways like sneezing on you! and your body would have the same response of making antibodies.

By all means expressed breastmilk is superior to formula but breastmilk from the breast is best, expressed is still pretty darn close.
September 29th, 2006, 07:25 PM
thank you!

I EP... I normally pump maybe an hour before he eats it. Should I leave it out for that hour or refrigerate it and then heat it under warm water? Which would be better in your opinion?

September 30th, 2006, 11:34 AM
StacyM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I leave mine out, as long as I know he will eat it with in 8 hours, and it is nice and cool in the house.

I put it in a bottle all ready to go so I can just grab it when I need it. If I put it in the fridge I put it in a milk storage container, then I microwave a bit of water in a coffee mug and float the bottle in it till it looses its chill. I only store the milk I pump at 10 & 12 at night when he is asleep for the night.
September 30th, 2006, 02:07 PM
thank you!

September 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM
soontobemommyto3
i too leave it out if she'll be eating soon, i also try to pump just before we leave the house so she has the freshest when we are out.

i heat milk in a standard bottle warmer to room temp if in a hurry, if not I let it warm on the counter.
September 30th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I have started leaving it out now, thanks for the information ladies, I had no idea before!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search