Peanut's Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Bad Experiences With Vaccines LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
*This story is about my 13 month old's experience with the MMRV vaccine. We call him "Peanut". This is kind of an ongoing story since this just happened. I will continue to update on his progress.

Wednesday Jan. 5, 2011 started out like any other day. Peanut was hyper and in a good mood. He was perfectly healthy with absolutely NO signs of illness. No fever, cough, runny nose, etc. We got to his doctor's office around 1 pm. Peanut was smiling, laughing, clapping, and just being his cute little self

The doc did his one year well check (even though he was technically almost 13 months). The doc said he was perfect and the picture of health. The nurse came in around 1:30 ish to give him his shots. He received 3 shots total but one was a combo shot called the MMRV which is the MMR mixed with the chicken pox vaccine. The other 2 shots were the HIB & the pneumococcal.

I was holding Peanut on my lap during the shots and as soon as the MMRV went in I noticed he pretty much collapsed in my arms. I thought it was a bit odd but I thought he was just upset from the shots and didn't really think too much about it. He immediately fell asleep (again not like him at all, especially considering he had already taken a long nap on the way to the doctor). I figured he was just worn out from the shots and put him in his carseat and took him home.

He slept in his carseat until 5 pm. When I took him out I noticed he felt really hot. I tried to put him in his high chair and feed him some rice cereal (his favorite). He started pushing the spoon away, arching his back and screaming. I picked him back up and tried to lay him down upstairs. He sat up and vomited all over the place I called for DH and he came running upstairs and helped me clean Peanut up. By this point Peanut was already asleep again and was difficult to wake up. I freaked out and took him to urgent care. The urgent care doc was completely useless. The nurse must've told him out in the hallway that we were there for a "vaccine reaction" because he literally walked into the exam room and immediately said, "He's not having a vaccine reaction. He has the flu". The doc had NEVER even seen us before nor did he even attempt to examine Peanut I kept trying to tell him the sequence of events and he did not want to listen. He said, "It's the stomach flu. Take him home and give him fluids" and literally walked out the door. Peanut's fever was 102 at that point AND he was lethargic and not himself. I get so angry when I think about the horrific care we received and yes I WILL be filing a huge complaint against this pediatrician!!!!!! I should also mention that his pulse was very rapid and even the nurse seemed more concerned than this stupid doc!!!

So I took Peanut home and he continued to sleep ALL evening long. I took his temp around midnight and his fever was 105!!!! I screamed for DH at the top of my lungs (he was downstairs watching TV) and said "Get my keys and start the car" and I literally flew down the stairs holding Peanut in my arms like a limp rag doll. I kept screaming, "Get the keys. He's could die. Get the keys. He could die" over and over again I was completely hysterical and couldn't stop repeating myself. I got to the ER and the ER nurse took one look at him and took him immediately back into a room. They got him hooked up to the monitors and his heartbeat was 200 BPM He was burning up at 105 so they immediately started the Motrin/Tylenol combo. We stayed there pretty much all night with Peanut until they could get his fever down to 101. His heart rate went down to 141 and they said he could go home. They agreed with me that it was most definitely a "severe adverse reaction" to the vaccines. The following day he continued to have a high fever and some diarrhea. What scared me the most was how lethargic and not himself he was. He wasn't smiling, laughing, making eye contact anymore

I was absolutely terrified that he was never going to be the same again (i'm actually still worried about this). On Thursday he was still dealing with a fever of 101 and had NO interest in wanting to eat at all. The ER doc said he will probably be in pain all over his body for about 3 days. This just breaks my heart into a million pieces. The guilt I have over this is just eating me up inside. I've been doing some research on vaccines and I feel sick to my stomach over some of the things i've found.

I know the statistics make vaccines sound very safe, HOWEVER, I strongly believe there are many more cases of adverse reactions that are NOT reported. We were treated like crap in the urgent care. That doc immediately came into our room with an attitude and tried to make me feel like I was crazy. I cannot even begin to tell you how angry that makes me. I had a perfectly, healthy, happy little baby and just minutes after his vaccines he was fighting for his life.

I'm not trying to say, "Don't vaccinate your kids" because that's a personal choice and i've always lived my life with the "to each their own" philosophy. In fact up until now i've been a huge supporter of vaccines and in fact got angry when anyone tried to tell me otherwise. I would always say, "Look at the statistics. They're safe". Well someone's child has to be those statistics and unfortunately we were it this time Again, I also strongly believe there are lots more than never go reported because doctors don't want to admit that there could be a problem.

I hope that no one else has to go through what we went through and by sharing our story I hope we can shed some light on some of the dangers of these vaccines. It has been a terrifying ordeal. This has just rocked our whole world upside down. Even DH is scared and broke down last night saying, "He looked dead" right before I rushed him to the ER. We do not know if there will be any permanent, long term damage. The ER doc said there is nothing we can do to reverse the affects of the vaccines. It's in his little system and he just has to continue to fight it off. This has just changed my whole view on medication in general. I will no longer give my children OTC or prescription medication without researching it first. I will look into all natural treatments as well before resorting to heavy duty medications. I need to be aware of what is going into my child. I didn't do my research before Wednesday, Jan 5th and my son suffered because of it.

We will definitely be changing the way we do vaccines in our household. Peanut will not be receiving anymore vaccines from here on out and either will our 3 year old. Fortunately my older kids are already finished with their vaccines so we don't have to agonize over what to do with them.

On Friday Peanut showed a few small signs of returning back to his old self, but he's still very lethargic and lacks energy. DH & I have both broken down and just feel horrible. Even my DH said it's like the light is just gone from his eyes. He has not been the same boy he was before these shots and the guilt that I feel is just eating me alive. I keep thinking back to my perfectly healthy, happy, smiling boy and then I think about where we're at now and I just hate myself I will never forgive myself if he's not okay. For now i'm just trying to get past the, "If only I had...."

Here is a before pic taken a couple of days before his shots:

In the hospital with a 105 fever:

Here he is on Friday, Jan. 7th:

I'm happy to report that today (Sat. Jan. 8th) he seems much better! He is still sleepy but the fever seems to be breaking and he woke up feisty and slapped me in the eye and pulled my hair (we co-sleep) which is typical for him I practically cried tears of joy over him pulling my hair because he hasn't done anything like this since Weds morning. I'm still nervous about possible long term damage, but just grateful that he is still alive and with us because we could've lost him

Thanks for reading and I have reported his reaction to VAERS which is the reporting agency for adverse affects. I felt the need to report myself since I know darn well the doctors had no intention of filing a single thing.

Last edited by sweet*life; January 8th, 2011 at 10:29 PM.
January 8th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my...I'm so sorry for your experience.....I'm praying for peanut...I hope he's back to himself quickly....HUGS HUGS HUGS....Please keep us posted on his progress...

We aren't to give a baby milk, berries, or peanut butter. We are to introduce new foods one at a time. But it's OK to inject several viruses, bacteria, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, animal serum, mercury, squalene and more into an 8 week old? I don't think so.
In order to be healthy it is an unfortunate fact that people must be allowed the opportunity to be ill. I trust my body and those of my children to work correctly against the relatively benign diseases they vax for, and do not trust the ingredients in the vaccinations.
Our choice to not vax isn't based in ignorance, poverty, conspiracy theory and rumor. It's research, common sense, fact and evidence based..something the medical community has largely forgot about.
January 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
This just breaks my heart. I am so sorry that you guys are going through this. I hope and pray that peanut gets back to his old self and has no long-term effects from the vaccines. It sounds like he is on the right track.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I read your posts over in the playroom, and it looks like he is getting back to himself. I'm so glad to hear that!

Good for you for reporting it! Not many doctors do, and I don't think many parents realize they should!

January 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thank you for sharing your experience. i am so confused at what i want to do with vaccinations..I am afraid of these types of small percentage reactions. I am glad your peanut is doing much better. That had to have been horribly scary and awful. I am so sorry you went through that and that your lil guy was so sick. poor baby. I hope he continues to get better and better and back to normal!

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
February 10th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
how scary ! hope your little one is doing better .
March 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for sharing. I really, really hope Peanut recovers to his happy self soon. That is so scary.

March 11th, 2011, 04:59 PM
hugs

Rachel 12
Kimberly 9
Chloe 6
Nathaniel 4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search