my experience when I had Amara

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Bad Experiences With Vaccines LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
When I had Amara they asked me to sign the papers so that Amara could get her shots. I told them no. They sounded surprized, and even sounded a little scared. I thought nothing of it at the time. Then like 2 months after she was born my sister asked if she had gotten her 2 month shots yet. I said no she wasn't getting any. Then she said "then why did she get one at the hospital?" WTH I did not know that she got one at the hospital. They gave her the shot before they asked me to sign the paper and that is why they sounded scared. It may have been the vitamin K shot, but I said no shots. They did not give her the eye ointment and I never said anything about that. This makes me so mad.

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

October 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i cant believe they did that!!! i wish there was a way you could of gotten them in trouble

October 16th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I know me too

October 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That would have totally pissed me off. I'm sure there's something legal you could do... if you wanted. I know it's not for everyone but that's one of the reasons I do homebirths.
October 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM
my next will be at home

October 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's a wonderful experience!
October 17th, 2006, 12:14 PM
my mom had my last 2 sisters at home

October 17th, 2006, 05:16 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you ask for an itemized copy of your bill it would list what shot she recieved. It could have been Vit K which really has no side effects besides the pain of the injection or it could have been Hep B. I don't believe you have to sign for VIT k it is part of the standard procedures and you actually have t fill out a form denying it if you on't want it. If you want to know which it was your bill would probally be the easiestway.
January 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
I missed this post sorry

thanks for that advice

I was told that the vitamin K shot was linked to child hood leukaemia

February 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM
LilyBean's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
When I had Amara they asked me to sign the papers so that Amara could get her shots. I told them no. They sounded surprized, and even sounded a little scared. I thought nothing of it at the time. Then like 2 months after she was born my sister asked if she had gotten her 2 month shots yet. I said no she wasn't getting any. Then she said "then why did she get one at the hospital?" WTH I did not know that she got one at the hospital. They gave her the shot before they asked me to sign the paper and that is why they sounded scared. It may have been the vitamin K shot, but I said no shots. They did not give her the eye ointment and I never said anything about that. This makes me so mad.[/b]
I believe that the same thing happened to me. My daughter was out of my sight on several occasions, and once, the nurse came in asking me to sign for the hep shot. I said "no", and she totally freaked. She came in at least five more times that evening asking me why I did not want my daughter to have the shot. I would describe her demeanor as panic when I continued to refuse. And it got to the point that I felt she was harassing me for saying no. After getting home, and looking back on the situation, I believe she was harassing me because they had already given her the shot...

I did look at the itemized bill, but my bill is not down to THAT level of detail.

Also, someone mentioned no side affects to Vit K shot. I've read from several credible sources that an overdose of Vit K can cause jaundice. You can google "Vitamin K jaundice" to get more info on that.
February 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Quote:
When I had Amara they asked me to sign the papers so that Amara could get her shots. I told them no. They sounded surprized, and even sounded a little scared. I thought nothing of it at the time. Then like 2 months after she was born my sister asked if she had gotten her 2 month shots yet. I said no she wasn't getting any. Then she said "then why did she get one at the hospital?" WTH I did not know that she got one at the hospital. They gave her the shot before they asked me to sign the paper and that is why they sounded scared. It may have been the vitamin K shot, but I said no shots. They did not give her the eye ointment and I never said anything about that. This makes me so mad.[/b]
I believe that the same thing happened to me. My daughter was out of my sight on several occasions, and once, the nurse came in asking me to sign for the hep shot. I said "no", and she totally freaked. She came in at least five more times that evening asking me why I did not want my daughter to have the shot. I would describe her demeanor as panic when I continued to refuse. And it got to the point that I felt she was harassing me for saying no. After getting home, and looking back on the situation, I believe she was harassing me because they had already given her the shot...

I did look at the itemized bill, but my bill is not down to THAT level of detail.

Also, someone mentioned no side affects to Vit K shot. I've read from several credible sources that an overdose of Vit K can cause jaundice. You can google "Vitamin K jaundice" to get more info on that.
[/b]

It is scary what they do without parents concent, because they assume we will be ok with it.

I also have heard that Vit K can cause jaundice

October 24th, 2007, 01:56 AM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
...It could have been Vit K which really has no side effects besides the pain of the injection...[/b]
According to the manufacturers package insert the risks and side effects associated with the vitamin k injection are as follows:
pain, swelling and tenderness at the injection site, chest pain, flushing, strange movements, rapid pulse, tightness of the chest, cramps. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

A preservative (benzyl alcohol) which may be found in this product or in the liquid used to mix this product (diluent) can infrequently cause serious problems (sometimes death) if given by injection to an infant during the first months of life (neonatal period). The risk is greater with lower birth weight infants and is greater with increased amounts of benzyl alcohol. Symptoms include sudden gasping, low blood pressure, or a very slow heartbeat.

I am so sorry that you were ignored and that your right to refuse was so blatantly violated. I'm so excited for you and your homebirth - I hope you love it
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

February 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can call your billing department at your hospital and get a medication list of all meds. The hospitals have to keep records of all meds administered. FYI- you may want to ask for a medication and a supplements list (vit K-if they realized they did it illegally they could try covering there tracks "mis" place it in the supplements section instead) If your child did indeed get a (non-emergency) shot that you did not ok You have every right to know who administered it and write to the state board. As nurses WE have to have parental consent with our doctors orders to administer a vaccine. Hope this helps. That nurse would likely have disciplinary actions (1st time offense-education) but would have that mark on their record. If it continues to happen (and people do something about it) the actions get worse.
February 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
bunni0407's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to bunni0407
Im so glad Andrew wasnt out of my sight ever. I had to go everywhere with him if they wanted to take him anywhere.

*Thank you misfitinmn for my amazing siggy*

July 19th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Super Mommy
I am so glad I read this, we are givig birth in a few months and will not vax or do vitamin K. DS has autism and had jaundice. I know our hospital does not do teh hep shot but now he will not leave my sight.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search