We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I had never thought of NON vaxing. I was always one that I would rather be safe than sorry and feel that I did what I could to prevent my child from getting sick so we always fully vaxed DS and when DD was born we had every intention of fully vaxing her as well.
At her birth we refused to get the Hep B in the hospital and wait until she was a few days old and get it at the Ped office. Everything was fine, no fever, no swelling, so we went on with her 2months shots. They consisted of 5 shots total and 1 oral, the DTaP, Polio, HIB, prevnar, and and another Hep B, and then the Oral suspension for Rotavirus.
Everything went fine even though this time she did have a slight fever and slight swelling of the legs and a slight red rash on her face, neck and chest. I never thoguht twice about it because DS had the same symptoms when he was a baby and both doctors reasured us that it was normal and to jsut give Tylenol.
The Ped diagnosed the rash as Contact Dermatitis.
Despite the fever and swelling we decided to go ahead with her 4m shots. Inbetween her 2 and 4mo we had switched Ped because of insurance reasons so instead of the peds office giving them we had to go next door to the immunization clinic (we are military and go to the base facility). This time they gave the 5 vaccines but in 3 shots and then the Oral Rotavirus.
After her shots were over she seemed fine. We got her in the car and almost immediatly she was asleep. We only live 2 minutes up the road from base so when we got home I figured that she would wake up however she was still sleeping. She stayed alseep during the rough car to house transition, slept through me getting her out of the carseat, changing her diaper and putting her in the swing (she was never a sound sleeper like that). I jsut thought that it was the Motrin that I had given her before the shots.
About an hour later she started running a fever so I gave her some Tylenol in hopes that it would come down only... it didnt. It kept going up despite alternating between Tylenol and Motrin. It would come down for about an hour and then go right back up it continued to do this for the remainder of the day and all through the night. She slept mos tof the time and only woke up to nurse and get a diaper change. Every once is a while she would wake long enough to let out a blood curdling scream for a few seconds and then go right back to sleep.
I was worried yet neither DH or I thought a whl lot about it thinking that it was normal.
The next morning when I got up I felt her head and she was burning up, her face was red and she had a horrible rash on her face and neck and both legs were swollen more so than before.
I took her temp and it was 100 so I immediatly gave her some Motrin dressed her in a light weight sleep to keep the chill off but wouldnt get too hot. Wiped her face and neck down with a cool wash rag, nursed her and then placed her in the swing so that I could get some breakfast for everyone else.
About 20 mins later she wokd up screaming that blood curdling ear piercing scream and continued for 20 mins with that scream. It was horrible.
I called the Ped and was reasure yet again that it was a NORMAL reaction.
Later that day she ende up getting the worst diareah. I think we ended up going through 30 diapers and 10 outfits that day. Her fever reached 101 and the rash was getting worse. She also ended up going on a nursing strike for 8hrs and just slept straight through. 8hrs total she slept and didnt eat. I tried waking her, tried getting her to eat while sleeping but nothing worked it was like she was in a coma. She finally woke up but when she did she jsut stared into space, just a blank stare, no emotion nothing.
My sweet, happy, bubbly, baby..... there was something FAR FROM NORMAL going on with her. We postponed our trip back home for another few days and jsut waited and watched.
I continued giving her Tylenol and Motrin to bring the fever down and it FINALLY started working. She started eating and waking more. She would smile again and the rash started to fade. I was finally getting my baby back.
It took 3 days for the fever to come down to 99.5, get her back to a decent eating routine and get rid of the diareah.
It took 5days for the fever to fully break, and get her wonderful giggly smiling self back and get her eating like normal.
And to this day she still has the rash on her neck and she still screams taht aweful blood curdling scream, just out of the blue.
Regretfully it took our sweet baby having a reaction like that for us to finally do research into delay/NON vaxing and the results that we found were so sickening and such a reality check that we decided to delay vaxing till her 1 yr and then IF we feel she needs any vax we will selectively vax one at a time.
Everyday I think to myself "If only I had done the research before han", "If only I had taken the advise of others on delaying""What if she had a worse reaction, she could have died"
It may seem like minor reactions compared to waht others have had, but to me NO reaction is minor. Its still a reaction and has the potential to get worse. Now it kills me to hear parents go on about how Unvax children are unsafe. I would rather have an unvaxed child with the potential to treat the disease if they should ever contract it than to have a vaxed child with the potential to cause an irreversible damage to their little bodies.
I can live with the flu, chicken pox, measles but I cant live with the thought of brain damage, autism, etc knowing that it could have been prevented had we NOT vaxed. (absolutely NO offense at all to mamas with special needs children)
For us it just seems to be the right thing to do and will never vax another child again !
It was so sad to read your story and what your baby had to go through. Even though in hindsight it might "look" like a minor reaction, it doesn't seem like it to me. That blood curing scream is from having had a severe head ace due to brain inflammation. She recovered, thank heavens, but you still don't know the long term outcome. Although I hope in my heat that everything will be fine, be very patient if she turns out to be a slow learner or show speech delay. It may take her year to really outgrow the damage done by vaccines.
Here is a great site for others who are still doing research: