My birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Rylie's Mom Send a message via MSN to Rylie's Mom
This is just copied and pasted from my PR

Okay, it's been a very LOOOONG week and a half in the hospital so some of this is jumbled but i'll do my best.

So on monday, July 9 i had a dr appt. with my regular dr's partner because he was out of the office. He had been keeping an eye on my swelling, the protein in my urine and my blood pressure. my BP was what they were waiting for and when i went in that day it was 160/90. so i was admitted to the hospital to do a 24 hour urine analysis. So that got started right away. And just so you all know...this is the FIRST time i've ever acctually been hospitalized....wow does it suck.

Tuesday: they give me a stool softener and not knowing any better i just took it. well i pooed in the "hat" that i was supposed to pee in for my urine analysis so they cut it off at 12 hours and just doubled it. My bp's were still coming back high so they told me i have Pre-e. I also had an ultrasound and baby was head down, measuring at 8lbs 3oz and still a girl!

Wednesday: They decided they were going to induce me on thursday so i was given P-gel to soften my cervix 2X since i still wasn't a full cm. before the dr put the first dose in the thought she had flipped so he wasn't quite sure what to do. but when he left for a second i told the nurse that i know he's the dr and all but i was pretty sure she was still head down becuase i feel her pushing out like this almost everynight. so they quick got an u/s machine and sure enough she was still head down!

Thursday: they decide to do 2 more doses of p-gel since it didn't do much and they didn't think i was ready to be induced. i *think* it was today that they also gave me 2 pills to soften since the gel wasn't doing much. they decided to do a foley bulb to dialate me to 3. he needed to use a speculum and i was still in a regular hospital bed with my butt up on a pan to try getting a better angle. well with my butt crushing this plastic under me i was unable to relax my legs and i started crying from the pain. he tried with some gel and finally told the nurse to get me some loor tabs (sp) and then they put me in a birthing room with a better bed. He also used a smaller size speculum and even with the pain meds and a better bed AND a smaller speculum it was still painful. (some of this may be in the wrong order)

Friday: I was woken up at 5 am to get my iv and induction started at 6. it was a pretty crappy day not much happened so they turned it off to start again in the morning.

Saturday: they turned the pitocin back on at 5 am and i was finally dialating a little more. for my pre-e they put me on magnessium sulfate to prevent seizures and anti-biotics for my group b strep. (i didn't get either of those on friday) i finally began feeling some contractions and OMG was i having some awful back labor (which i feared most of my pregnancy) and since baby girl was so squirmy and my contractions weren't reading well they put internal monitors in. They ended up needed to re-do both later in the day. I wasn't having a good labor pattern and with all baby's hair the heartbeat one wasn't going well. I got my much loved epi but after a few hours i began feeling pain in my hip and then my back and then my stomach. My booster button was my absolute best friend...when it let me get a boost. dh and a nurse would each hold a leg when i needed to push but the nurse wasn't liking that and said i need to hold my legs to push harder. well hello....i could reach my fat leg so dh was trying to hold one and get me the other one to try and hold so i just told him to get my mom and she came in to help hold a leg. the magnessium sulfate can make you really groggy and really warm so i had a fan on me, ice soaked washcloths and i was snoozing between pushing. Before i started pushing the dr did a cervical exam (around 4 pm) and was feeling my pelvic bone and mentioned how it was very small and she may not fit (yet another thing i've feared this whole pregnancy) but we tried. He got stuck in surgery longer than we thought and when he came back i was almost complete, which no one could beleive becuase apparently i was having a VERY sucky labor pattern. I push for about 3 hours and when he came back she was in the exact same spot. so they got me all ready for a c-section. While i was pushing though dh and my mom got to see her head in me, which was alittle weird but i didn't care. i was snoozing. (*sunday technically starts here*)So they wheeled me down for the c-sec and since my epi hadn't been working well they thought they'd have to stick me again but they didn't, they used my epi line and it worked great. The anestesiologist was a major ***** though i guess. he wouldn't let dh in the room when they started and wouldn't even let my nurse in to take the baby back! DH said when he came in her head was already out. but they let him stay while they stiched me which they don't normally do (i didn't know that) which yet again i kept dozing off while they were stiching me. dh said i was snoring so i went to recovery and dh went to the nursery. while i was in recovery the dr told me how big she was and that is was probably good i was 3 weeks early since she would have been like 10 lbs otherwise! and i was also told that she was face up which probably caused my back labor. her blood sugar measure low becuase of the magnessium sulfate and she was grunting a little so they gave her sugar water in an iv and oxygen. she didn't need the oxygen long though. they also gave her anti-biotics for my group b strep. so my little girl was in the nicu with an iv in her little hand. it was so sad. i didn't really get to see her until she was over 12 hours old. DH talked her nurse into bringing her to me in my room which was great. it was only 5 mins but it was the best 5 mins of my life. I went down later that afternoon too which was great.

Sunday: pretty uneventful, just alot of recovery from my c-section. oh and btw she WAS born sunday at 2:24 am. it all feels like saturday to me.

Monday: same uneventful stuff, visitors, seeing rylie in the nicu. her iv was leaking though later in the day so they had to take it out. but the dr ok'd not to put another in since she'd probably be released in the morning! they had been weaning her from the sugar water and she was responding VERY well.

Tuesday: she was released and we had her in our room about 1. we fed her and laid her in her crib and dh was in my bed next to her and iw as in the chair when all of a sudden she started twitching. dh jumped to her and rubbed her belly and she stopped. then started again so i told him to get a nurse and i jumped over there and rubbed her face and she stopped again. they nurse took her to the nursery and the dr looked her over and sent her back to the nicu for observation. all her tests came back normal, she didn't think it was a seizure becuase she stops when you touch her and her eyes are functioning normally. her bilirubin results were 15.7 though so she was put under the bili lights and on a bili pad. she did have another 10 sec episode but nothing since then. and the dr and nurse were right there when it happened.

wednesday: i got my staples out today and we went to see her and the nurses were talking about how the dr ordered a nose tube to feed her. What they needed from her was at least 50 ml each feeding. Whatever she ate from bottle was subtracted from that and the rest would be fed through tube. I stayed when she got it in but i couldn't watch, it brings back a lot of memories from when my brother was sick. she handled it very well though. she did get some in the tube then (it was around 11) and at 1 and 4 she ate enough not to need any! we went home and cleaned up a little and went to walmart for osme things and went back up. we didn't stay long becuase i feel like i did a little much today and i've been very emotional all day with seeing her like this and her not being home with us and just all the memories and emotions seeing her like this brings back. We just called for her update and her bili levels are down to 12.7 and she ate enough again at 7! who hoo! so things are looking up! the reason for the tube is because the bili lights are helping break down immature cells which causes jaundice but she's not pooping and peeing enough to flush the cells from her system because she wasn't eating enough so things are DEFFINATELY going in the right direction! (i think i got that part right)

Well i think this is most of it...phew, i'm exhausted just typing that! i'll work on pics in the next few days. sorry about that.

ETA: i don't remember what day it was but i did have my membranes stripped....and i wasn't told about it

Rylie Nicole
8 lbs 15 oz
20.5 in
July 15
2:24 am.
May 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that is quite the birth story! I so happy everyone is healthy and safe. You did good!

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search