Erica's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Regular
I'm new here, and just thought I'd share my birth story. It all started at my 35 week appointment. When my appointment was just about over, my OB started feeling my tummy and the baby and casually said, "It feels like you are going to have a big baby. We're going to monitor her growth and if she gets too big for you to deliver her, we will have to talk about a c-section." I told her that I was opposed to having a section, and I wanted to have a natural birth. She kinda just said ok, but we'll see what happens in the next few weeks. So I basically started freaking out. I had my birth plan done, and this was not what I expected. Over the next couple weeks my OB continued to feel the baby, and we had a biophysical profile done to check her growth, movements, and the amount of fluid around her. Everything looked great. But at my 38 week appointment I went in again, and my doctor told me that Erica was close to 10lbs (By feel) and that because she was my first, the chances of me delivering her vaginally were slim to none. She said I wasn't dilated, and not favorable for induction, and that if they tried, more than likely I would end up with an emergency c-section. She also said if we tried with a vaginal delivery that there was a big risk of shoulder dystocia and neurological damage. That scared me enough to believe what my doctor was saying. So I scheduled a c-section for April 01. I was so sad about not having the birth I was looking forward to, but excited about meeting my little girl.

So 6am, the morning of the first, me, DH, and my mom arrived at the hospital. Followed closely by 6 other family members anxiously awaiting Erica's arrival. I got settled into a room, changed into a gown, was monitored for a little bit to make sure she was doing ok. Got my awful IV in, and got prepped for surgery. I met my nurses and anesthesiologist, and my doc came by. They took me down to the OR first, to get my spinal block, and get everything set up for surgery. The block wasn't bad, and I think I was dreading that the most. I was convinced it would be torture getting a needle into my spine!! But I barely felt a thing. Finally DH and my mom were in the room with me, and they began the surgery. I felt when they pulled her out, and heard her first cry. I started crying and told them to bring me my baby. DH went and picked her up once they had dried her off, and brought her to me. It was the most amazing feeling. We were crying like babies!! Then they had to measure, weigh, clean her, and I think thats when DH cut the cord closer to her belly button. I started getting really sick from the morphine in the block, and ended up getting sick all over! They continued the surgery while I was getting sick and when not sick, snuggling with Erica.

She was born at 8:14am, 19 1/2 inches long, and 8lbs 10oz. Beautiful and perfect in every way. I was disappointed as I knew I could have delivered her, hard as it might have been, but so thankful to have my healthy baby girl. Anyway, thats my birth story, sorry about the book long post!!
June 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you didn't get to have the natural birth you were planning but it looks like you have a beautiful baby girl and that's what matters. My C-Section was for the same reason, the doctor thought my son was going to be 10 lbs (he wasn't).

June 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Congrats! Sounds like a wonderful birth. I was asleep for mine, so I love hearing about other people's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search