Hailey's birth story-July 17.08

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Regular
I went to see my OB for my 37 week check up. He discovered that she was breech. He gave me a few things to try at home to try to get her to flip on her own over the next two days and told me to come back on Thursday. At that time he'd ultrasound me again to see if she had flipped, if not he would do a version (try and flip her through external manipulation). I went to the dr's office that thursday morning with nothing but my purse and my mom. I had no idea what was in store for the rest of the day. She was indeed still breech so my dr told me to head to the hospital to be checked in and then he would be there in a few hours. I had no idea how involved the version was going to be. I was given a gown, had a ton of blood work drawn, iv fluids started, a shot to keep me from contracting and admitted for observation. My dr's "few hours" estimation turned into 5 hours. I had to be given a second shot to keep me from contracting. My dr came in, started the version. He got her flipped twice and she flipped right back to comfy butt down position. She didn't like standing on her head ) Then he looks at the nurse and says "ok, lets go ahead and prep for a c-section" I began to freak out! He mentioned a c-section being a possibility when I was at his office, but not that night! I didn't have my bag, my husband was at home with our toddler, my dad was at work, my in laws were a state away. I hadn't even had time to think about what was about to happen to my baby and my body when the nurse comes in and says "ok you ready to start shaving?" What??? You're kidding me right!!! I made them go find my Dr so I could talk to him before going further. He assured me that she was far to big to flip on her own at that point. So a c-section was necessary whether it was that night or the next. I called my husband, he called my inlaws, my mom called my dad. My mom went to our house to take care of our toddler so that my husband could come for the birth. It was a crazy 30 minutes, that seemed like about 5 minutes ) After I took a few breaths and was preped, my wonderful nurse took me to the OR for my spinal block. Wierd is the first that comes to mind. I had an epidural with my son (vaginal birth) I was numb but still has some sensation. With the spinal I felt NOTHING, no pressure or anything. I puked nearly the whole time they were doing the c-section. The anesthesiologist couldn't find a puke basin so he let me puke in his hands. What a guy! He was great! He held my head and wiped my face with a cloth (in between catching my puke) while my husband held my hand and talked to me. Once they got Hailey out she was having some trouble breathing. I didn't hear her cry and my Ped told me she was taking her to the nursery for some assistance but that everything would be fine. I couldn't help but think "yea right, they tell everyone that" I started to freak out again! I was able to get it back together through praying! I sent my husband to be with Hailey while they closed me up. After I was closed and they were transfering me to my hospital bed my dr said i had a large cyst that was preventing Hailey from being head down. A nurse came up and held my hand and said "i've been a L&D nurse for 25 years and I've never seen a cyst that big before" I asked "how big is big" She said "grapefruit!" So in the end, had Hailey not been butt down and I not had the c-section my Dr said that cyst would have probably ruptured during labor and caused a whole bunch of other problems.

Last edited by mandyhayes01; October 20th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
March 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Starr's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for your story! Hailey must be PERFECT born on July 17th (my birthday)!

Thank You Helen for my beautiful Siggy!

Last edited by Starr; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: born sp. wrong

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search