We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
When my Dr. told me I would most likely be giving birth to a 9lb baby, I kind of brushed it off as no big deal, but jokingly cautioned her that I absolutely did not want a c-section. Silly thing to say, I know, especially since the type of birth you have is generally decided by the baby, but I just wanted to be able to try for this great birth experience that I had been imagining in my head. And, well, that's what I got....
My Dr. had set up my induction date for March 20, 2006- I would be 41 weeks and 5 days overdue, and very much looking forward to having my baby. At 7:00am we signed in and were taken back to a labor and delivery room and I was given an IV with lactated ringers. Around 8:00 my Dr. came in and inserted the protaglandin gel to get things started. Upon entering the hospital, I was only dialated to 2cm, and had been for the previous 2 weeks. Unfortunatly, I would stay at 2cm for the next several hours, even after walking and sitting in the jacuzzi tub. At 11:00, my labor nurse, Norene, started the Pitocin and almost right away, the contractions started to get worse. My Dr. came back in and checked me at 1:00 and I was only dialted to 3cm, but she was able to brake my water. She suggested that I sit on the birthing ball for awhile to help move the baby down more. At 3:30 I was checked and was dialted to 4cm, and then was checked again around 6:00, where I was dialated to somewhere between 5-6 cm. I decided to get an epidural at this point because my contractions were one right after the other. Right after the epi was administered though, my babies heart rate started to decel. The nurse had me change positions and turned the Pitocin down to help stabalize it, but it didn't work, and she ended up putting me on oxygen and called my Dr. Luckily, when she returned, the babies heart rate was back to normal. As a precaution, my Dr. started internally monitoring the baby and said she would be back in 1 hour to check me. At around 8:00 she checked me again and said that I was still only dialted to 5-6 cm and that the babies head was starting to swell from hitting my pelvis. There was also this problem: the Pitocin had been turned up as far as they could let it go, but my contractions were stopping. My Dr. said that I would most likely need a c-section, but that we could wait a little longer if I wanted to think about it. At this point, I had been in labor for 12 hours and was exhausted. In the back of my head, I knew that I would need the surgery to get the baby out. I was so disappointed, but told my Dr. to go ahead with the c-section. That night, at 9:08pm, Brandon Porter Clements was born. When I heard him cry for the first time, I think I would have had that surgery a million times over, just to hear it again. My sweet little boy came into this world weighing 9lbs 12 oz, was 23.75 inches long, and had a head circum. of 15 inches- my Dr. said he never would have made it past -1 station because my pelvis is too narrow (and he was such a big boy).
Looking back on my birth story, I don't think I would have changed a thing. Having a c-section was such a minor part of the whole experience, and the outcome of it all was every bit as wonderful as I ever could have thought it would be.