Leo's birth story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, as most of you know, I had a C-Section scheduled for 10/6 due to previous emergency c-section leaving me with much scarring and risk of uterine rupture. Also, my cerclage was taken out at the same time.

Matthew and I arrived at the hospital at noon, where my parents and grandparents (they came up as a 'surprise') were waiting. I went right up to L&D and got in the birthing room where they took my vitals, started my IV and put the external monitors on to track baby's hb and any uterine contractions. My section was supposed to be at 2, but some emergent patients had arrived, so I didn't go in until about 315. My nurse was a trip - and she was perfect starting the IV. I didn't feel a thing! Then the anesthesia doc came by to check on me. I was nervous, but he was reassuring and funny, so that helped take the edge off. Finally it was time to go back.

I was so scared because my last experience was, as you all know, very tragic. I also had very poor pain management due to the fact that I was on Methadone at the time, which is a drug that blocks the action of opiates. So I was expecting the worst as far as that went.

I wasn't under near as much anxiety this time, but nevertheless when my spinal was being administered, I started to cry just remembering how it was almost a year ago. The nurse held me and wiped away my tears. The anesthesia tech was very reassuring as well, and I didn't even feel the spinal... only when my butt started getting warm did I know.

So then my doc came in and started prepping me out. Initially, my arms were velcroed to the board. Matt came in dressed out. He sat up at the head of the bed and we talked. I felt some pressure, nothing major - in fact I actually asked if they had started! What a good spinal! Finally I felt the doctors take him out... what an odd feeling, like a giant weight lifted out of me - its hard to describe but its like a suddenrelease. I perked my ears up to hear his first cries. He tried to, but it was like half cry/ half gurgle until he was suctioned out. Oh, that squeal was the sweetest sound I have ever heard in my life! Then everyone just kept saying how big he was. My arms were unvelcroed and Matt was taken to the isolette to see him while he was apgared.. then they wrapped him in blankets and gave him to Matt - he came back to the head of the bed and we just cried and cried and touched and kissed him all over. They didn't even weigh him until I was almost done, just to give us more time with baby. Official time of birth was 358pm.

Everyone was trying to guess how much he weighed. When they told us our little turkey weighed 10lbs and 3oz we were in disbelief. Especially since I was only 37w3d along! His length was 20 and 1/2 inches, and head circumferance was 14, which I was told was big. I was so excited! It's like God knew we needed to have a big chunky baby so that we would feel safe. Neither of us could stop staring at him. They followed me to recovery where I had my first attempt at breastfeeding. His little chin is so recessed that its hard for him to latch right, but we have been persistant. He was rooting around at my breast making these little grunting noises.... so CUTE!!!

When I got to my room baby was in my arms. The rest is a blur of anyone and anything other than my Leo. I stayed awake all night just staring at him. He truly is the love of my life, and nothing has made me happier than bringing this baby into the world. Being a mom kicks #####!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search