Katerina Adriana Rose "Kaia"

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
Birth Story
Katerina Adriana Rose
January 10, 2007

January 10th was not like any other day we had ever experienced, but how could it when it was the day we would meet the love of our lives. I woke up about 5 AM, I had thought I would sleep horrible the night before but I really didn’t. Nick was still asleep, I decided to let him get his rest, we did have a big day and long couple of months ahead of us. I ran around the house doing last minute things to make it perfect for the arrival of our little girl. Around 6:30 I woke up Nick and we left at 7:30 for the hospital.
We got to the hospital at about 8:15 and headed in. Now I have to say walking into the hospital feeling just fine but knowing you are going to have your baby is a weird feeling. I walked up to the desk and annoced why I was there. An older woman at the desk told us where to go because they didn’t deliver babies at the front desk.
Off we went to the 2nd floor. Once there they put us in the pre-op room and a very nice nurse came in and asked us all the in case you die questions. Okay way to put a damper on the arrival of your baby but I know it has to be done. The best was when they asked if I was an organ donor, Nick piped in and said he was, I told him they really didn’t care about that today. In the meantime they were monitoring the baby, gave me an IV, took blood and vitals and we watched America’s Funniest Home Videos. Ironically I had a dream during my pregnancy that Bob Saget was going to deliver my baby. Everything looked good so we were waiting for 10:30 to arrive. They told us no one was allowed in the pre-op room but my mom was able to join us for a little while.
Around 10 the doctor came in to make sure Kaia was still breech, she was. Then the anesthesiologist came in to talk about the spinal and how I might feel. He said if the spinal didn’t take they would have to put me out completely. I really hoped it would take, I didn’t want to be put out. Next they came in and gave me something to drink to neutralize my stomach acids so I wouldn’t throw up. I had read that it tasted horrible but she poured it over ice, and I was so thirsty that I didn’t mind it. It wasn’t good but I expected the worst. It tasted very very sweet. After she left Nick wanted to try it but I told him he couldn’t. Very soon after at about 10:35 the nurse came in wearing her scrubs and said it’s time to go.
All along they thought I had kids at home because of how calm I was. In fact I was surprised at how calm I was. However, walking yourself into an operating room can wear on the nerves of anyone. Yikes! What was about to happen!? It was really all unknown to me, exciting that I would meet our little princess, scared that I was going to be cut open while awake on an operating table. I walked through the doors; inside was very white and very bright. I think from watching TV and movies I expected the room to be darker with bright lights.
There were I think about 5 people in the room all dressed in their scrubs. It was my nurse, the anesthesiologist, surgical assistant, the baby’s doctor and I think one more nurse (maybe a nurse for the baby) I got up on the table and the put a heart monitor on my finger. This was the first time it was obvious I wasn’t so calm anymore. My heart rate was way up there, but come on, they were about to stick a needle in my spine. I have to say the shot from the spinal wasn’t bad at all. I was very pleasantly surprised. I could feel the tingling starting in my bottom and feet. I kept thinking please work please work, I want to see my little girl right away. Next they put in the catheter and prepped my stomach for surgery. I could feel them touching me but not hot or cold. That is what they kept asking, “Can you feel it?” “Yes” “Is it hot or cold?” “I don’t know.” “Good.” Then the doctor came in. Just like on TV with her hands held up ready to go. They asked me if I could feel a couple more things, I couldn’t. Yay it worked!
Then I began to feel sick, very light headed and nauseous like I could barely speak to even say anything. I thought how I am going to get through this!! Finally I told the anesthesiologist, he stays up by your head too, he put something into my IV and the feeling went away almost instantly! Thank goodness! This happened one more time during surgery but I think it was after Kaia was out.
Next thing they did was send away for Daddy. Nick says he came in at about 10:50.
Nick sat down beside me and the games began. I felt A LOT of tugging and pulling and pushing but no pain. Then I felt the surgical assistant pushing down hard on my chest. Making me gasp for air, but I remembered this meant she was going to be out soon, so I didn’t mind. Next thing we hear at 11:02 AM is laughing and “She is definitely a girl”
As we all know Kaia was breech, in fact she is what they call frank breech so her feet where up by her head. When she came out she was still like that, so their first view was that she was a girl. I only heard a little sound form her not even really a cry and nothing else. So I said to nick, “why isn’t she crying!?” Soon after we heard some more cries but not too much and they called for daddy to come over. I figured if they are letting him come over things must be okay.
They got her all cleaned up, gave her a little oxygen and brought her over. Now I can’t remember if they showed her to me before that or not. You have to remember I had a lot of drugs running through my system. But then they brought her over all wrapped up. After we got a couple pictures Nick and Kaia were off to recovery and I was left behind to deal with the end of the surgery.
The end of the surgery was the worst part (but all worth it for our little girl). Now I don’t know if it was because I knew that my husband and brand new baby girl were so close yet not with me, or if it was because the medication was wearing off. Yup that’s right, wearing off. I could feel the pain of them stitching me together. I didn’t know what to do. The Dr. had said they would put me out if ever I couldn’t handle it but. . . my baby was in the other room I didn’t want to be put out! I would deal with it. Finally it was making sick to think about feeling each stitch as they went along. Now I know I was feeling all the pain, but any of it was enough for me. I finally told him I could feel it. He said they were almost done, so thankfully they didn’t put me out the just injected more meds into the IV. What ever went in there made me very loopy. I could barely see the things on the wall anymore and I was very light headed. I think it was more to make me forget then for the pain because in recovery the pain was still there.
Finally it was off to recovery for about an hour. In there I was able to see Kaia again. They weighed her; she was 7lbs. 12ounces 20 inches long. She had her first bath, and I was finally able to hold her. Nick went out to tell my mom and dad that she was here. Once I was able to move a little they took me down to our post partum room and there life began with the love of our lives, Katerina Adriana Rose “Kaia”

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search