Cody Lee

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To C/S Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
meli.ann's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Around week 28 my doctor started mentioning that I might have to have a c-section. At the time she was concerned with how I was carrying him (he was up so high that when he kicked at times, my chest moved lol). Throughout the rest of my pregnancy, she mentioned it several times. When I was 37 weeks pregnant she sent me in for an u/s thinking that he was breech. She was so sure, that before I even went in she had me go to the hospital to schedule a c-section. The u/s ended up showing that he was not breech, so the c-section was canceled. At my 40 week appt (on my due date), my doctor became worried that he might be too big for me to have naturally, but she went ahead and scheduled me to be induced the next day. That evening she called me at home and told me to go into the hospital that night, because she wanted to do another u/s to see how big he was. She told me to go in and tell them that I thought my water had broken so that they would do the u/s

When my dh got home from work, we packed my bag into the car just in case (I was convinced that I would be going home though). We got to the hospital, registered, and was given a room while we waited for the u/s tech to come in. She got there about the same time as my dr, and did the u/s. My dr told me that if he was over 8lbs she would recommend a c-section. The tech estimated him at just over 8, and my dr. gave me the option. I told her that I trusted her judgement, and agreed to the c-section. I asked her if it would be the next morning and she said no, tonight! So they started prepping me for it. I was given a catheter (didn't hurt nearly as much as I expected...it was a little pinch and that was about it), shaved, and after awhile they had me walk into the OR. Once we were in there, they put in my epidural. That wasn't too bad either. Not the most pleasant experience, but not bad either. Once they had me laid down on the table, they put up the screen and put an oxygen tube up to my nose. It was annoying, but the nurse said it was for the baby, so I managed to ignore it. My dh came in then and sat with me. I didn't know it then, but by the time he came in, they were already cutting me. I can remember being so worried that I could still feel m toes. At one point before they started, I was like um, I can still feel everything! My husband and I talked through the whole thing...I had asked him before to just keep talking to me about anything and everything. After a few minutes I started feeling a lot of pulling which upset me a little. It didn't hurt at all, just felt weird. Almost right away the doctor said ok dad, stand up and take pictures. So Ryan walked around to take pictures (most of which ended up being of the floor ). After that he went with the nurse while they cleaned Cody up. The nurse must have adjusted my IV after that, because I started becoming really sleepy. At one point I told her that I could just go to sleep, and she said go ahead! So I dozed for awhile.

A little while later (I have no idea how long), my dh came in with the nurse and Cody. Cody was crying, and I just kept saying it's ok Cody, mommy's here. As soon as he heard my voice he stopped crying and just stared at me. I could tell that he recognized my voice . They took him back to the nursery and Ryan waited outside while they finished closing me up. Once they transferred me to my recovery bed, they wheeled me back to the recovery room. Once in there I started shaking very badly. It was normal, a reaction to the surgery, but it was a little disturbing. I also started itching badly, but once the nurse gave me some benadryl that went away. After about a half hour the shaking stopped and I was moved to my regular room. I don't know if it was because of the time of night (actually, I think that's why...they were short staffed because it was so late), but it took awhile for them to bring Cody to my room. They finally did, and I got to hold him for the first time

I decided to have him sleep in the nursery because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get up and take care of him during the night. The first night I got hardly no sleep. There were machines beeping and nurses coming in and out all night. Sometime the next morning my daytime nurse (who was awesome by the way), had me get out of the bed for the first time. She made me get out on the side opposite of the bathroom so that I would have to walk further. That first time getting out of bed was scary, but although it was uncomfortable, it wasn't painful. At least not unbearably painful. I was able to walk to the bathroom, and use the bathroom. By that evening they even let me take my first shower! I was on a liquid diet until I passed gas, which I was terrified of doing (I was convinced that I would pop a stitch!). I finally did that afternoon, and had a real meal that evening.

I ended up going home about 40 hours after I had him. The scariest part was walking up the steps when we got home, but that went ok. The next few days I was tender, and ended up piling pillows up on the couch to sit on, so that when I stood up I didn't have as far to go. I also piled pillows on the bed so that I could sleep in a semi reclined position. Again, so I didn't have as far to go to stand up. I didn't have any trouble holding my son, and didn't have any trouble getting up to feed him at night. I didn't breastfeed though, so I don't know if that would have been any different. I finally felt 100% right around 6 weeks after I had him, although it took almost 9 weeks for the bleeding to stop.

The only thing that I would change for next time is that I will ask my dr. if they can lower the screen a little so I can see the baby right away when it comes out, instead of waiting until after they have cleaned it up. I'll also insist that they bring the baby to the room as soon as I am able to hold it, instead of waiting and waiting. Hopefully the next c-section will be scheduled and it will be during the day when they have more nurses available

Otherwise I LOVED my c-section experience. I was scared to death going in (although my dad said I took it like a man...they were there and I think he was amazed that I wasn't freaking out!), but it really wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Don't get me wrong, it's not a walk in the park, but I think having a positive attitude about it really helps.

Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~Marc Brown

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search