Elope but a reception?

Forum: Wedding Planning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Wedding Planning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
So and I are talking about this. He has a HUGE family. All are local. I have a small family. If I am lucky I will have 15 people from my side including friends and their SO's. Him... we are talking over 100 easy.
We both have been married before. So it is not the first wedding.

I want to elope. Honestly, I would feel uncomfortable with that large of a wedding. My first marriage was 60 people total. His first wedding was about 140 came from his side alone.

Anyway, so he agreed to either elope or a small court house wedding. Only he wants to have a reception for everyone. I have never heard of such a thing. I don't want to offend people. Honestly, we don't need any wedding gifts. We just bought a house and saved up to get new furniture in the living room, bedrooms, dining room and new appliances. And those are paid for, not on a credit card. So we are good.

Thoughts? Would it be rude to have a court house wedding or run off and get married and then have a reception?

This won't happen till April 2012.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
April 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Mischief Managed's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mischief Managed
I only had 6 people from my side of the family show up at my wedding. (All my family lives in the East, and unfortunately, I only live in Colorado. We had 150 guests, and only about 15 of them were my friends. One of my BIGGEST regrets. I had to send out 80 thank you cards, 70 to those I have no idea who they are, and I felt like a jerk since we ended up with at least $4000 worth of stuff/money afterwards from people I don't know! Not only that but I felt weird with a bunch of people watching us that I didn't know!)
I think it isn't rude at all. If you have been married before, you know exactly what happens. Make is special between you and him! I do believe you can have some visitors, like first family?

April 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetiez
sounds like an awesome idea to me! i wish my BF would just do that! lol... good luck!!!!!

I dont think its rude... at all!!!! i think thats a great idea actually..
if u feel ur being rude an idea is an outside wedding for everyoe to attend if they want ect...
April 16th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I could not find this again. lol

Anyway, Yes... I would not have a problem with the the immediate family coming. Although secretly I had hopes on doing it at some place like Las Veges or someplace not local.

Although the problem is, not offending them all... which with how close they all are, it can be hard. Literally, 2 of SO's uncles married 2 of his aunts. So his mom and dad's sides are close. And a vast majority live very close.

Also, I am Very adamant about ONLY getting married on April First. lol Yep. I know it is a little odd, but it makes me happy and is a fun date. So like next year, it would be on a Sunday.

Thanks for your input. That was my worry, people thinking we are being rude or just grabbing for gifts. Which is opposite. We are good.

Last edited by Mom to minions; April 16th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
April 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I say it would be fine we had thoughts of doing this also, We were having a beach wedding then having a reception a few weeks later. If you want something small and where gifts aren't nessacary just have a pot luck type thing a friend of mine did a bbq and it turned out amazing
April 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
My Dh and I did that. We had no family at our wedding just two witnesses and eloped on the other side of the country from our family. We actually had two receptions, one for DH's family and one for mine since they don't live in the same area. It was great fun, cake and such. It was our first but we sent out announcements and had a party . Good luck. I don't think its rude at all.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Potluck won't work. And there is no yard large enough for all of them. like I said, there is EASILY 100 members local that would come... that is local FAMILY. Not counting friends. We were talking the other day and he says if you add in his friends and the non local family he is talking 250 from his side. and still 15 from mine. lol

Plus, he has 2 aunts and his step mother kinda person (they arent married but might as well be) who will take over and they will make all the food for it. Kinda like they do for every family wedding.

I will figure it out. But now I feel better about getting married.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search